Hydrogen and FCEVs discussion thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Via GCC:
New Flyer introduces first 60-foot hydrogen fuel cell bus in North America
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2016/04/20160420-newflyer.html

New Flyer of America . . . conducted the inaugural road demonstration of the Xcelsior XHE60 heavy-duty articulated fuel cell transit bus. Representatives from . . . Alameda County Transit (AC Transit) of California, and Metro Transit of Minneapolis, Minnesota—participated in the vehicle’s debut and demonstration. . . .

The bus will be operated in revenue service by AC Transit for 22 months following the completion of a comprehensive evaluation . . . . Following this, New Flyer intends to offer these . . . 60-foot buses to customers throughout the United States and Canada. . . .

The bus is targeted to have a range greater than 250 miles without refueling or recharging. . . .

Also GCC:
FTA selects 7 projects to receive $22.5M in grants for battery-electric and fuel cell buses, infrastructure
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2016/04/20160420-fta.html

Honda decides they actually want to sell the Charity... errr...Clarity. Will offer PHEV (40 mile battery range) and BEV variants.

http://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/honda-to-expand-clarity-three-car-lineup-ev-and-plug-in/#ftag=CAD590a51e

Via ievs:
Hydrogen Buses Arrive In Ohio, Naturally Media And Politicians “Drink Exhaust” – Video
http://insideevs.com/hydrogen-buses-arrive-in-ohio-naturally-media-and-politicians-drink-exhaust/

This week Ohio’s first hydrogen bus hit the roads, serving riders on Ohio State’s campus for the next ~12 months, as the university will collect data on the program. A second bus is also to be delivered shortly to Penn State University’s Altoona Bus Testing and Research Center.

Over the course of the next 24 months, 10 buses in total will be deployed by SARTA (Stark Area Regional Transit Authority). Once delivered, it will be the 3rd largest operation fleet of fuel cell buses in the country, and largest outside California. . . .

Via ievs:
Samsung SDI Drops Fuel Cell Business To Focus More Intensely On Batteries
http://insideevs.com/samsung-sdi-drops-fuel-cell-business-to-focus-more-intensely-on-batteries/

Samsung SDI is in the process of dropping all non-profitable divisions.

As it turns out, the fuel cell division is one of Samsung’s loss leaders and, as such, it will exit the fuel cell market completely.

A company spokesman stated:

“Samsung SDI decided to drop fuel cell-related business projects, as the outlook of the market isn’t good. . . .”

Via GCC:
Ballard’s Protonex subsidiary delivers PEM fuel cell propulsion modules for UAVs to Boeing’s Insitu
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2016/04/20160426-protonex.html

Ballard Power Systems subsidiary, Protonex, has delivered prototype PEM (proton exchange membrane) fuel cell propulsion modules to Insitu . . . for use in its ScanEagle unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV).

The ScanEagle platform has logged more than 800,000 flight hours in military and civilian applications. . . In addition to propulsion power, ScanEagle requires 60W of onboard power for its payload. . . .

Use of the Protonex fuel cell propulsion modules are expected to provide a number of advantages over traditional internal combustion engine propulsion systems, including: significant improvement in the expected MTBF (mean time between failures) of up to 5x; silent operation; 100% throttle flexibility, including mid-air start-stop capability; and use of existing JP8 fuel in ground refueling systems.

Work related to the integration of the Protonex fuel cell propulsion module into the ScanEagle system is ongoing, with flight demonstrations planned for the second half of 2016. . . .
Also see: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=21627&start=10#p459345 , point #2.

Via GCC:
SAE technical experts: fuel cell technology has advanced significantly, FC vehicle production has begun, further cost reductions & infrastructure development required
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2016/04/20160425-pfl720.html

Ditto:
DLR presents HY4 4-passenger fuel cell hybrid electric aircraft at 2016 Hannover Messe
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2016/04/20160427-dlr.html

. . . The HY4 is due to take off for its maiden flight in the summer of 2016. The HY4’s drive train consists of a hydrogen storage unit, a low-temperature hydrogen fuel cell and a high performance battery. . . .

In order to take off, the engine must reliably provide a maximum take-off output for three minutes. This has already been successfully demonstrated for more than 10 minutes. The interaction of the fuel cell and the high performance battery used as a buffer and additional safety system have also been successfully demonstrated in a simplified form in the laboratory. . . .

RegGuheert said:
GRA said:
Owing to a cycling accident this weekend...
I'm sorry to hear about your accident. I hope you fully recover soon.
Thanks. Fortunately, the damage was more painful than serious. I'm still typing a bit gingerly, but will ease back in. And I need to replace the wheel that was destroyed, so I can get back to riding. Driving to work sucks.

RegGuheert said:
GRA said:
Kind of late for consolidation don't you think, given how long the gas station industry has been around.
Not at all. Gasoline refueling in the United States was EXTREMELY fragmented. The consolidation of that industry is taking many decades and continues to this day, as you have clearly indicated:
GRA said:
From vague memory (I know I included the numbers from "The Gas Station in America" upthread), the number of stations peaked at about 240k in the '70s?, and the number oscillated in a generally downward trend after that. IIRR, there were about 160k at the turn of this century, which has since dropped to about 110k now, even though there are more cars than at any time in the past.
Your numbers do not match what I am finding:
National Association of Convenience Stores said:
There were 156,065 total retail fueling sites in the United States in 2012. This is a steep and steady decline since 1994, when the station count topped 202,800 sites. (Source: National Petroleum News' MarketFacts 2012)
But what is non indicated in this consolidation is the INCREASE in the number of pumps found at each station. In the 1970s, the average number of vehicles which could be refueled simultaneously at retail filling stations was certainly four or lower. Today, that number is likely eight or higher. Ask yourself this: When a new gas station is built these days to replace an old one, does it have more or fewer pump locations? I can tell you that EVERY instance I am aware of where an operating (or defunct) filling station has been replaced by a new, shiny one, the new one has had significantly more pump locations.

Along with the increase in the number of pumps comes an increase in the amount of fuel dispensed. From the same source:
National Association of Convenience Stores said:
In addition to convenience stores and gas stations, there are 4,893 big-box retailers that sell fuel. The top five hypermarkets, by store count, in fuels retailing are:

Kroger (1,090)
Walmart (1,036 stores)
Sam's Club (462)
Safeway (342)
Costco (336)

(Source: Energy Analysts International, July 2012)

As of July 2012, hypermarket retail fueling sites sold an estimated 12.4% of the motor fuels purchased in the United States. These sites sell approximately 275,000 gallons per month, more than twice the volume of a traditional fuel retailer. (Source: Energy Analysts International)
Simply put, retailers are finding more-and-more efficient ways to distribute more fuel to consumers, thus consolidating the number of stations by adding to the throughput of each station.
Reg, you seem to be arguing vehemently in agreement with me :lol: AFAICT, the only area we differ is whether the retail fuel industry is undergoing consolidation or contraction. I think it's the latter. To me, consolidation is what happens when an industry matures from its initial stages, and the early marginal players disappear/get absorbed. That happened a long time ago in the gas business. I call what we're seeing now a contraction, with fewer but larger stations and reduced sales of gas (owing to people driving less in more efficient vehicles, only partly balanced by a larger population). The retail gas business has always been fragmented, with four different types of stations: company owned; franchisees; independent chains; and independents. The oil companies have been divesting themselves of their company-owned stations for some time, a decade or more IIRR, so if anything we're seeing more rather than less fragmentation.

RegGuheert said:
Now, contrast this with hydrogen refueling stations. How many vehicles can each hydrogen station refuel? One used to be common, but let's say that the new stations can refuel two vehicles simultaneously (probably generous). And the NEXT ROUND of funding rules indicate that they would like each station to be able to dispense a minimum of 180 kg of H2 per day.

So, let's make a comparison between the AVERAGE H2 station today and the AVERAGE gasoline station today:

Simultaneous refueling (approximate):
H2: 2
Gas: 8
Factor: 4X

Miles per day of fuel delivery (approximate):
H2: 200 kg * 60 miles/kg = 16,000 miles
Gas: 4000 gal * 25 miles/gal = 100,000 miles
Factor 6.25X

So, by these current numbers, rather than requiring 15% as many hydrogen stations, it seems that we will require 400% to 625% as many hydrogen stations. The question remains whether hydrogen will ever enjoy the growth and consolidation phases that have occurred with gasoline. Considering the need for up-front and ongoing government subsidies, it is quite clear this will never happen.
Neither Toyota or I bases the 15% on current or near term capability of initial H2 stations, we're talking about eventual development that provides similar to current gas station capability, in number of dispensers, throughput per station etc. There are no technical barriers I'm aware of that prevent this from happening, only cost barriers for now. So, if FCEVs are about twice as efficient as the current LDV fleet (say 50 mpge average over the whole range of LDV types versus just over 25 mpg for the current LDV fleet), that cuts the number of stations required in half for the same number of vehicles. Current trends towards fewer stations with ever more dispensers per station will continue, and that will likely account for another halving, taking the requirement to 25%. The remaining 10% I expect to come from continuing reductions in driving due to modal shifts etc., BEVs/PHEVs, and what have you. We're all agreed that batteries are superior for local use, provided you have a guaranteed place to charge at home and/or work, and no likelihood of needing to move or change jobs that would inhibit your housing or work choices.

BTW, is your son going to move or change jobs if he can't convince the condo board to let him install a charging circuit, or else find somewhere else convenient to charge the Model 3 he's reserved? Seems a bit excessive to expect most people to let their car choice dictate where they live or work.

RegGuheert said:
Miles per day of fuel delivery (approximate):
H2: 200 kg * 60 miles/kg = 16,000 miles
Gas: 4000 gal * 25 miles/gal = 100,000 miles
Factor 6.25X

Far too kind for H2

the limiting factor is the peak load, a H2 200kg/day station may actually only be able to supply 20kg in back to back refills (ie 5x 4 kg or 3 x 7kg) then there is delay for repressurization/refrigeration.

the cost of hydrogen infrastructure still exceeds the price of free Teslas.

free Teslas sound nice, just like economic H2 refueling.

GRA said:
There are no technical barriers I'm aware of that prevent this from happening, only cost barriers for now.
IMO that's not a very good metric: "no technical barriers that I'm aware of," when no study is quoted to support the assertion. I just demonstrated that the daily ACTUAL AVERAGE miles delivered from today's filling stations was over 6X the NAMEPLATE capacity of the next-generation H2 filling station. If there is a design of an H2 station with a nameplate capacity of about 500,000 miles/day in the footprint of today's average gas stations, please produce it. Heck, even an artist's conception would be better than pure hand-waving.

And, BTW, cost barriers are every bit as real as technical barriers. Spending taxpayers' money may conceal that fact temporarily while volumes are tiny, but it will prevent any widespread adoption since much cheaper options abound.
GRA said:
BTW, is your son going to move or change jobs if he can't convince the condo board to let him install a charging circuit, or else find somewhere else convenient to charge the Model 3 he's reserved? Seems a bit excessive to expect most people to let their car choice dictate where they live or work.
He'll charge his car at a public charger, in much the same way that he refuels his current vehicle.

On topic: I suspect he chose not to purchase an H2 FCV because he didn't want his car choice to dictate where he lives or works. Moving to CA would be a bit excessive, DYT? ;)

RegGuheert said:
GRA said:
There are no technical barriers I'm aware of that prevent this from happening, only cost barriers for now.
IMO that's not a very good metric: "no technical barriers that I'm aware of," when no study is quoted to support the assertion. I just demonstrated that the daily ACTUAL AVERAGE miles delivered from today's filling stations was over 6X the NAMEPLATE capacity of the next-generation H2 filling station. If there is a design of an H2 station with a nameplate capacity of about 500,000 miles/day in the footprint of today's average gas stations, please produce it. Heck, even an artist's conception would be better than pure hand-waving.
Reg, there is no technical reason why you can't have multiple double-sided H2 dispensers per station, just as there are multiple liquid fuel dispensers now. There is currently no need for them, as the number of deployed vehicles is still very small. As the need increases, the number of dispensers, throughput rates and amount of on-site storage will go up, the costs will come down due to improvements and economies of scale. The issue is whether they come down enough to be competitive.

RegGuheert said:
And, BTW, cost barriers are every bit as real as technical barriers. Spending taxpayers' money may conceal that fact temporarily while volumes are tiny, but it will prevent any widespread adoption since much cheaper options abound.
I've never said that H2/FCEVs would be adopted regardless of cost. In fact, I've said repeatedly that the ultimate success of any alternate fuel/AFV will be dependent on its relative cost vs. fossil-fueled ICEs. You know this, so why post as if I haven't made that point multiple times?

RegGuheert said:
GRA said:
He'll charge his car at a public charger, in much the same way that he refuels his current vehicle.
Didn't you write that there were no public chargers convenient to him? He can certainly hope that they will appear, but despite living in the metropolitan area with the largest % and 2nd largest # of PEVs in the country, the nearest public chargers to me are 0.4 miles away, 5.5 years down the road, and currently cost almost twice as much per mile as putting gas in my not terribly fuel-efficient 13 year old Subaru, despite the fact that their installation was government subsidized. Speaking of cost, are any public, for-profit charging companies yet turning a profit? And if so, are they charging the same or less for their electricity than the price of gas? AFAIA, the answers are still no and probably not.

RegGuheert said:
On topic: I suspect he chose not to purchase an H2 FCV because he didn't want his car choice to dictate where he lives or works. Moving to CA would be a bit excessive, DYT? ;)
Sure, it would make no sense to buy (really, lease) an FCEV at least for the next few years, if he didn't live somewhere where he could fuel it like major metro areas in CA or the New York-Boston corridor, where they're soon to begin installations. Does he live in that corridor? Exactly the same comment applies as far as getting a BEV/PHEV without convenient, guaranteed home or workplace charging (which he currently doesn't have).

GRA said:
Sure, it would make no sense to buy (really, lease) an FCEV at least for the next few years, if he didn't live somewhere where he could fuel it like major metro areas in CA or the New York-Boston corridor, where they're soon to begin installations. Does he live in that corridor? Exactly the same comment applies as far as getting a BEV/PHEV without convenient, guaranteed home or workplace charging (which he currently doesn't have).
So you think having to find a charger every couple of weeks is just as bad as having to move across the country to buy an H2 FCV? Hardly.

RegGuheert said:
GRA said:
So you think having to find a charger every couple of weeks is just as bad as having to move across the country to buy an H2 FCV? Hardly.
Uh, no. What I said was that if you have no way to conveniently fuel/charge a car, it makes no sense to get it. So, does your son live in the NYC-Boston corridor, where an FCEV might be a practical option (note, I'm not saying that it would be a cost-effective option, anymore than a Tesla Model S/X is) for him in a year or two?

GRA said:
What I said was that if you have no way to conveniently fuel/charge a car, it makes no sense to get it.
Here's exactly what you said:
GRA said:
Exactly the same comment applies as far as getting a BEV/PHEV without convenient, guaranteed home or workplace charging (which he currently doesn't have).
He has none of the three. Again, him having to refuel the car every couple of weeks (maybe longer) is not the big deal you are making it out to be. People have been doing that with gasoline vehicles for decades.

RegGuheert said:
GRA said:
What I said was that if you have no way to conveniently fuel/charge a car, it makes no sense to get it.
Here's exactly what you said:
GRA said:
Exactly the same comment applies as far as getting a BEV/PHEV without convenient, guaranteed home or workplace charging (which he currently doesn't have).
He has none of the three. Again, him having to refuel the car every couple of weeks (maybe longer) is not the big deal you are making it out to be. People have been doing that with gasoline vehicles for decades.
Of course it's not a big deal, if it will only take you five minutes to fuel (as liquid and H2 fuels do), plus a minimal amount of extra driving time. But if it takes you 30 to 90 minutes to charge plus longer driving time, it's a much bigger deal, especially if you have no other reason to go there. You need charging to be somewhere you'd otherwise have a reason to go to frequently, and stick around at.

As an example, there are six SC sites in the nine county Bay Area, with a seventh (Napa) coming eventually. The closest one to me is in Dublin, 10.3 miles from me, and is also the only one that I'd have any other reason to go to as it's within walking distance (0.3 miles) of REI. But I don't need to buy stuff at REI every week or two, and there's nothing else in the area I have any desire to spend time at. All the rest of the SCs are further away and have absolutely nothing in the vicinity to make me want to go there. OTOH, I do have an H2 station 1.9 miles from me. I have no reason to hang around there, but then I don't need to. If I had reasonably convenient (which I define _for myself_ as within 1/2 mile walking distance), competitively priced overnight charging, then a PEV would be acceptable. As I don't, it isn't. Everyone's situation is different.

Come on, even you know the above argument is pure BS. For the benefit of those that might be lulled into thinking otherwise, any Tesla could charge at dozens of places in that area.

That includes a multitude of DC fast chargers using the CHAdeMO / Tesla adapter.

Both the Supercharger sites and the CHAdeMO sites are growing quickly. In addition, Tesla will likely have a CCS adapter at sometime in the near future.

So there will be no shortage now, or in the future, for places to charge a Tesla. On the other hand, a hydrogen car (even with the most optimistic projections with taxpayer funded H2 stations) will never have that kind of infrastructure in my lifetime.

CHAdeMO -
11291 Worldwide (20 April 2016)
5467 Worldwide (6 March 2015)

5824 added worldwide
411 days
14 added per day worldwide <<<----- ha, that one!

TonyWilliams said:
Come on, even you know the above argument is pure BS. For the benefit of those that might be lulled into thinking otherwise, any Tesla could charge at dozens of places in that area. <snip rest of inapplicable example>
It's amazing, Tony, how you can tell me what my situation is without knowing exactly where I live; are you claiming clairvoyancy :roll: . 'Any' Tesla may be able to, but a Tesla I owned couldn't, not conveniently at a competitive price. The L2/L3 stations nearest me (0.4 miles away), are Blinks, and cost $0.49/$0.59 per kWh, a bit under and roughly twice what I'm currently paying per mile for gas (not to mention the need to buy a CHAdeMO adapter If I wanted to QC).

The nearest more or less reasonably-priced L2s (Chargepoints: $1 connection fee + $0.20/kWh, so if I get 10 kWh that's about what I'm paying for gas now) are at a county-owned facility 1.6 miles from me, and there's absolutely nothing around there at night, or any reason for me to want to go there during the day. I'd have to haul my bike there and ride it back while leaving the car overnight (and the no-parking fee hours are inconvenient for my schedule, so I'd also have to pay parking fees), then reverse the process when I pick the car up. All other locations are even less convenient and more expensive. If Chargepoints costing the same as above were where the Blinks are (a city-owned garage) it would be acceptable, but since they aren't and there's no likelihood of the city kicking in any more money (they chipped in for the Blinks), nor is anyone making a profit off public L2, the odds of any convenient, affordable public charging near me are just about zilch for the foreseeable future. Even then, the Chargepoints would still be more expensive per mile than just driving a Prius.

OTOH, the station where I normally buy gasoline is 1.6 miles away, but is just a little off the route to somewhere I go frequently, so the extra time to get gas is minimal. The H2 station isn't quite as convenient, being a bit farther and not in a direction I'd normally go, but if I only need to do so at long intervals (I typically get gas monthly or less), the 20 minutes total time including driving would be acceptable to me.

I'm thankful I don't have to live in your shoes with those kind of issues !!!

Blink has always been the go-to name for anything negative about electric vehicle charging. Thankfully, the world may be rid of them very very soon as the last quarterly report said that they had an income of about a half a million dollars with around six or seven million in expenses. So, you won't have that dead horse to beat anymore !!!

Since I know I've said this numerous times there are other logical places to charge an electric car in your area. Again, other people won't have an issue with whether something is .4 miles away or 1.9 miles away. Sorry, but that's just not the way the average vehicle owner thinks.

Particularly in your area as EV's become ubiquitous I can very easily see parking meters on every street with a place to plug in (for a fee). It may only be 1.5 KW, but you don't drive very far anyway ;-)

So, my response isn't really generated for your consumption... it's for other people who might read it and think there might actually be something important to understand, and there just isn't. You're too easily inconvenienced / apathetic / whatever term applies that these tiny distances actually mean something to you. Since I live in suburbia there isn't anything that's a mile from my house!! But I have the admittedly important advantage of overnight charging at my house. That is huge for EV adoption today.

A close second place will be 200 to 300 mile range EV cars with ubiquitous DC charging on every street corner. That's even more important than workplace charging because, as I have gleaned from your situation, workplace charging wouldn't help you as it wouldn't help about one half of the population! But DC chargers help everybody;

commuters to a daily job
homeowners
retirees
military
students
single mothers
etc.

In regards to your complaint about the cost per mile, I am able to use the NRG / eVgo network to arrive at around five cents per mile. This is ridiculously below the cost of gasoline for similar vehicles, while grossly below the cost of a hydrogen powered vehicle at $13-$17 per KG (one KG moves a Toyota H2 approximately 60 miles therefore $15 ÷ 60 miles = 25 cents per mile).

I think I'll stick with electricity.

TonyWilliams said:
I'm thankful I don't have to live in your shoes with those kind of issues !!!

Blink has always been the go-to name for anything negative about electric vehicle charging. Thankfully, the world may be rid of them very very soon as the last quarterly report said that they had an income of about a half a million dollars with around six or seven million in expenses. So, you won't have that dead horse to beat anymore !!!

Since I know I've said this numerous times there are other logical places to charge an electric car in your area. Again, other people won't have an issue with whether something is .4 miles away or 1.9 miles away. Sorry, but that's just not the way the average vehicle owner thinks.
Actually, the average vehicle owner sees no compelling reason whatever to shift to an AFV to date barring massive government bribery, as is clearly indicated by the continuing lackluster sales, but continue.

TonyWilliams said:
Particularly in your area as EV's become ubiquitous I can very easily see parking meters on every street with a place to plug in (for a fee). It may only be 1.5 KW, but you don't drive very far anyway ;-)
Tony, I've listed upthread the number of public parking spaces, both on-street and in public/privately owned lots/garages, in just one very EV-friendly city (SF) in 'my area'. Offhand, the number of on-street spaces was something over 200k. Installing charging at every curb-side space would require ripping up and replacing every sidewalk (if using conductive charging) or every parking lane (if using inductive charging). The cost is staggering, and considering the lack of funds for numerous other worthy issues, how many decades/centuries do you think this will take to accomplish, since it obviously can't be done all at once, not to mention that the typical bay area surface street is a potholed minefield from deferred maintenance owing to lack of funds? Where do you think the politicos will be more likely to direct the money given the choice between repairing/repaving streets experienced by most, or installing curbside charging to benefit the few? Realistically, it will have to be publicly accessible parking lots/garages that get wired first, along with a requirement for all new-construction MFH to provide charging; almost certainly both will have to be subsidized with public funds/tax breaks, but unless the electricity can be supplied direct by utilities it's unlikely that it will be cheaper than gas, barring a major hike in the price of the latter. As streets/sidewalks come due for maintenance/replacement, curbside charging can gradually be added, but I stress 'gradually', and that assumes money is available (since the civic authorities will also have to subsidize installations in garages/lots).

Even in my relatively low-density (compared to SF, but my part predates car-based sprawl) bedroom community on my short street, with one exception (a single small apartment building with its own parking lot) it's all detached single family homes with garages or at least parking pads/driveways for every dwelling. Nevertheless, I count 20 plus/minus a couple cars parked curbside every single night. While it's likely that a lot of these cars could be parked in their garages if they weren't full of the owner's "stuff": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvgN5gCuLac
as long as there's free curbside parking available that's not going to happen. I've mentioned before that I'm a believer in charging market rates for all public parking, but that's another issue.

TonyWilliams said:
So, my response isn't really generated for your consumption... it's for other people who might read it and think there might actually be something important to understand, and there just isn't. You're too easily inconvenienced / apathetic / whatever term applies that these tiny distances actually mean something to you. Since I live in suburbia there isn't anything that's a mile from my house!! But I have the admittedly important advantage of overnight charging at my house. That is huge for EV adoption today.
And that's the main point of agreement between us. If you have guaranteed charging at home/work, with no likelihood of having to move or change jobs to someplace that doesn't have such, a PEV is great. But most of the world's urban population, which is most of the world's total population, doesn't, and won't for decades if ever. For them, a car that doesn't dictate where you live or work because there's always somewhere you can go reasonably conveniently to refuel/recharge it in a short period of time is an advantage, which is one reason why liquid fossil-fueled ICEs defeated PEVs among consumers over a century ago, and why they've dominated ever since. That is finally starting to change, but any transition to PEVs will be slow for the reasons I've stated above. In the meantime, there is no technical reason, just an economic one, why sustainably-produced H2 dispensers couldn't replace every gas/diesel dispenser at every gas station.

Admittedly, whether the economic issue for H2 can ever be solved remains the major unanswered question; obviously they aren't cost-effective now. But, as I've said repeatedly, for me the question is how quickly we can get off fossil-fueled transportation; whether the public ultimately opts for BEVs or PHEVs with renewably-produced or nuclear electricity, plus for PHEVs either fuel cells or sustainable bio/liquid fuels for range extension, FCEVs, sustainable-bio-/liquid fueled ICEs or (as I expect) some combination of the above I consider of much less importance.

TonyWilliams said:
A close second place will be 200 to 300 mile range EV cars with ubiquitous DC charging on every street corner. That's even more important than workplace charging because, as I have gleaned from your situation, workplace charging wouldn't help you as it wouldn't help about one half of the population! But DC chargers help everybody;

commuters to a daily job
homeowners
retirees
military
students
single mothers
etc.
Rather depends on how long, where and how often they have to stop to charge doesn't it, plus the price? But we're in agreement that a BEV which provides at least one week's autonomy for local driving, with a reasonably quick, cost-competitive recharging could make a big difference. Whether 200 miles (when new to empty; remember that most car sales are of used vehicles, and vehicles need to provide the required range year-round in all conditions for at least a decade of service, i.e. to be viable for a second or even third owner) is enough for the general public to buy in remains to be seen. Even the 2nd gen 200 mile BEVs will require a stretch for the average middle-class buyer for some years yet, given any extra-cost options. Affordable FCEVs are a few years further out, with affordable H2 in the who knows? category. Judging by the survey results I posted in another thread, the general public still demands 300 miles of range before they'll consider a BEV, presumably while using the HVAC system. That's what they're used to with ICEs, and they see no reason to settle for less. Whether they can be convinced that they don't actually need that much is a good question, but without very strong incentive to do so, I think it goes against human nature to voluntarily accept less than you're used to.

TonyWilliams said:
In regards to your complaint about the cost per mile, I am able to use the NRG / eVgo network to arrive at around five cents per mile. This is ridiculously below the cost of gasoline for similar vehicles, while grossly below the cost of a hydrogen powered vehicle at $13-$17 per KG (one KG moves a Toyota H2 approximately 60 miles therefore $15 ÷ 60 miles = 25 cents per mile).

I think I'll stick with electricity.
Sure, H2 is ridiculously expensive at the moment, especially in comparison to the alternatives. Fortunately, no customer has to pay for it for three years, so it's effectively free for that period. As for the cost of NRG, which you use enough to benefit from membership (I'd have to increase my driving to do so, which would be ridiculous), the station I buy gas from is charging $2.46 for regular today. For a 50 mpg HEV like the Prius, that's $2.46/50 = $0.0492/mile, the fueling infrastructure is ubiquitous, and it doesn't start at $72k, or even $35k - a base 2016 Prius is $24,200. Granted it's god-awful fugly, and won't suit everyone's needs let alone their desires (Chelsea Sexton recently opined that if everyone bought cars for strictly rational reasons, we'd all be driving white Honda Civics):
The Electric Car Revolution Is Now Scheduled for 2022
http://www.wired.com/2016/02/electric-car-revolution-now-scheduled-2022/

I'd amend that to 'almost all', as some people do live on farms/ranches or have small businesses where a pickup isn't a fashion statement, or who need a van to haul lots of people frequently, but generally she's correct.

Via GCC:
Hydrogenious Technologies partners with United Hydrogen Group (UHG) to bring novel LOHC H2 storage system to US market
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2016/05/20160504-hydrogenious.html

. . . Instead of storing hydrogen either under high pressure of up to 700 bar or in liquid form at –253 °C, Hydrogenious’ technology catalytically binds and releases the hydrogen molecules to liquid organic hydrogen carriers (LOHCs). (Earlier post.)

• Liquid organic hydrogen carriers (LOHCs) are an interesting option for the storage of hydrogen. The concept of LOHC is based on the reversible hydrogenation of an unsaturated, usually aromatic, compound. This reaction forms a saturated compound, which is the hydrogen-rich form of the carrier. In a dehydrogenation reaction, the hydrogenated (i.e., hydrogen rich) form releases the hydrogen for further utilization. The hydrogen uptake in the hydrogenation reaction requires elevated pressures of about 30 to 50 bar. The dehydrogenation on the other hand can be operated at ambient pressure but necessitates high temperatures of up to 300 °C. However, during storage time, ambient conditions can be applied to the carrier, without any negative influence on storage density or losses during storage time. This is one of the most important advantages compared to most other hydrogen storage technologies. . . .

We've discussed H2 adsorbtion storage here and in other threads. This is NG, so no guarantee that H2 adsorbtion storage is anywhere near ready for commercialization (assuming it can be done), but I thought it related enough to mention it here. Via GCC:
ANGP commercializes 1st ANSI NGV2-certified on-board low pressure ANG technology storage system for LDVs
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2016/05/20160503-angp.html

Adsorbed Natural Gas Products, Inc. (ANGP) has successfully installed the industry’s first ANSI NGV2-certified adsorbed natural gas (ANG) active storage system. The system, which ANGP calls its first-generation (GEN 1) ANG System, comprises six activated carbon monolith-filled seamless aluminum cylinders, fully ANSI NGV2-certified for an operating pressure of 900 psig, and ANGP’s low-pressure fuel management system. . . .
From the photo this is obviously just a prototype install, as the tanks are just added into the F-150's cargo bed.

Back