How to limit charging to 80%

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For example, if my battery is at 62% SOC, charging for 1 hour at 18kW will bring it up to 80%.

If so, you are the first person in the world with a 100 kWh pack in a LEAF

----
PSA to you and to cornbinder89: kW per hour has no meaning in the daily EV charging experience. We talk about
w(atts) (or kW) -- power
kWh -- energy
h(ours) -- time

power * time = energy

If terms are rearranged so that
power = energy/time, the units are kWh/h which is equal to kW because the h cancel out

If you write kW/hour, that is equivalent to (energy/time) * 1/time) = energy per time*time. Lucky for us, not our problem. We concern ourselves with the linear relationship between power, time, and energy.

Last edited:
Actually I do know the difference between Kw and Kwh but sometimes what the mind thinks doesn't get to what the hands type.
It will likely happen to you some day, and I hope those that point it out or clarify do it more gently than you. Age can be humiliating to the proudest of us
There is no need to be so condescending.
In most cases it is easy to figure out what the person is trying to get across.
In the above example it is obvious to any who read it, that Kwh were what he/she was talking about.
A simple, "I think you meant Kwh" would be enough if you feel a need to correct.

Level 2 charging is through the onboard charger, I don't know what the 2019 has for an onboard charger, but a 2015 is limited to 6Kw/hr. It doesn't matter what the charging station can provide, the onboard charger can't use more than 6.6 input.
Level 3 charging is a whole different matter, however that bypasses the internal charger. Is that what you are talking about?

Level 2 charging is through the onboard charger, I don't know what the 2019 has for an onboard charger, but a 2015 is limited to 6Kw/hr. It doesn't matter what the charging station can provide, the onboard charger can't use more than 6.6 input.
Level 3 charging is a whole different matter, however that bypasses the internal charger. Is that what you are talking about?
You are right. I should have said that the EVSE charges at the rate of 18% per hour. I have edited my post to correct that.

I didn't know if the later cars had bigger chargers to go along with their bigger capacity battery packs.

No N.A. LEAF* charges faster than 27 Amps AC at 240V (6.5 kW.) The first Gen LEAFs were limited to 3.3 kW, as were some of the lower trim Gen2. And as a thorn in LEAF owners sides, there is no way to set the LEAF to a lower Max Amp level. The forum is chock full of people who want to use their dryer outlet (NEMA 14-30) to charge the LEAF with the bundled L2 EVSE and cannot do so safely because the car will try to pull 27A on a circuit only rated for 24A for continuous duty

*I'm not positive about 3 phase countries. I **think** that the LEAF OBC is single phase, unlike the Tesla which has 3 16A chargers

True, but there are EVSE's that have adjustable settings. Mine can provide from 10 to 32 amp protocol. The 6.6 Kw onboard charger will not draw more than 6.6Kw but if connected to a 208 volt supply the 32 amp setting would be required to allow for full use.
The "EVSE" I have and many others can be set for a 24 amp (30 amp breaker branch circuit) for precisely that situation. In fact mine can be set from 10 to 32 amps to match the branch circuits limits. No need for higher settings as the onboard charger can't make use of any higher current.
I didn't have the spec's for the later Leafs and didn't assume they all only had 6.6 chargers.
I believe the OEM dual rate EVSE comes with either a 6-50 or 14-50 plug and can not be plugged into a 30 amp outlet. Not to say people will not defeat this protection by making up their own cord, but as supplied, it can not be connected to a 30 amp branch.

Last edited:
The easiest solution for ALL leafs from 2015 onwards, when Nissan removed the 80% AC charge limit, is to buy the Plug & Play Charge Limiter Kit from #EVsEnhanced - as a bonus, these units can be reflashed for the replacement battery when a #LeafBatteryUpgrade is is progress :)
I carry stock for EU Customers...... #MnMSzerviz

There is a roundabout way to start/stop Leaf charging from the app. Anytime you start the climate control while plugged in, your Leaf is charging. As soon as you stop climate control your Leaf will stop charging.

Yes, it is possible to set a charging limit on your Nissan Leaf. The feature is not available through the vehicle itself, but can be accomplished through the NissanConnect EV app. The app is available for both Android and iOS and can be used to remotely start or stop charging, set the climate control, and view the battery status, among other things. You can set a charging limit on the app by selecting the “Charge” option and then choosing “Set Charge Limit”. From there, you can adjust the charging limit to a percentage of your choosing. Note that the charging limit feature may not be available in all markets, so you may want to check with Nissan or your local Nissan dealer to see if this feature is available in your region.
What market are *you* in? It's not available in the USA or Canada.

Actually I do know the difference between Kw and Kwh but sometimes what the mind thinks doesn't get to what the hands type.
It will likely happen to you some day, and I hope those that point it out or clarify do it more gently than you. Age can be humiliating to the proudest of us
There is no need to be so condescending.
In most cases it is easy to figure out what the person is trying to get across.
In the above example it is obvious to any who read it, that Kwh were what he/she was talking about.
A simple, "I think you meant Kwh" would be enough if you feel a need to correct.
Charging rate is measured in kW.

If he said "I think you meant kWh" when talking about charging rate, that would be wrong. It's measured in kW.

As Sage has pointed out, it's actually kWh per h but h divided by h cancels out --> kW.

Don't know what is meant by: "In the above example it is obvious to any who read it, that Kwh were what he/she was talking about."

No North American Leaf has an 18 kW on-board charger. They're all 6.6 kW max. And, thus when AC charging a Leaf over J1772, 18 kWh per hour of charging is also impossible.

6.6 kW * 1 hour --> 6.6 kWh out of the "wall"
6.6 kW * 2 hours --> 13.2 kWh out of the "wall". Multiply the units and values.

Apparently on the 1st gen Leafs, up until 2014, there was a setting to limit the amount of charge. But Nissan saw fit to do away with this feature. Since the battery warranty hasn't changed one might conclude that this feature is no longer as necessary as it once may have been.

Read this Is it (Still) Possible to Charge a Nissan Leaf Just to 80%? - Green Car Future and pay particular attention to the last section: Conclusion: Batteries Increasingly Take Care of Themselves
Yet, Nissan continues to hand out a paper like at (look at the bottom third) that tells people that sustained high state of charge like frequently charging to 100% and leaving it at above 80% for long period of time may hasten degradation.

We got confirmation that a '23 and '19 Leafs came w/papers with such verbiage. See URLs below.
Code:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/NissanLeafOwners/posts/5850038691760738?comment_id=5850774598353814
https://www.facebook.com/groups/NissanLeafOwners/posts/6603639739733959?comment_id=6603671159730817&reply_comment_id=6603766113054655

There is no evidence that li-ion batteries except maybe LFP (which Leaf doesn't use) like being at high SoC. Current Leafs use an NMC-based chemistry (Electric vehicle lithium-ion battery | Innovation |).

Dr. Dahn made a recommendation at https://www.chevybolt.org/threads/great-presentation-on-battery-care-by-dr-dahn.51329/#post-880770. Search CV of Jeffery Dahn, Ph.D., FRSC for NMC.

There is a roundabout way to start/stop Leaf charging from the app. Anytime you start the climate control while plugged in, your Leaf is charging. As soon as you stop climate control your Leaf will stop charging.
Really? That would be a nice thing. I'm going to try it out!

Charging rate is measured in kW.

If he said "I think you meant kWh" when talking about charging rate, that would be wrong. It's measured in kW.

As Sage has pointed out, it's actually kWh per h but h divided by h cancels out --> kW.

Don't know what is meant by: "In the above example it is obvious to any who read it, that Kwh were what he/she was talking about."

No North American Leaf has an 18 kW on-board charger. They're all 6.6 kW max. And, thus when AC charging a Leaf over J1772, 18 kWh per hour of charging is also impossible.

6.6 kW * 1 hour --> 6.6 kWh out of the "wall"
6.6 kW * 2 hours --> 13.2 kWh out of the "wall". Multiply the units and values.
You are correct and my brain is getting "fuzzy" . He can't put 18 Kw in to the battery in an hour using the onboard charger. He can put 18 Kw into the battery by charging for longer. A higher capacity supply current doesn't make it charger any faster. SO picking a charge station that can supply 18 Kw will not make the car take it at that rate. That was what I was trying to say. Sorry, I wasn't correctly getting that point across.
Also cudo's for correcting in a non-condescending manor.
The statement that "if my battery is at 60% and I plug it into the wall at 18 Kw for an hour... " is what is causing the problem, as the Leaf can't be charged with the onboard charger at that rate. I know what he is saying, but the "hr" plugged into the wall makes it 18Kw/hr, something not obtainable unless it is DC charging.
Some wall units, will tell you how much time and how may Kwh's were used in a session, he could plug it in for 18 Kwh but the hours part would be more than one. I know what he was trying to say, if you know the available charge rate, and the time, you can measure what you put in. However the battery doesn't charge at a constant rate when it gets near full, it tapers. So for a leaf with 6.6 input (6 output) that 18 would be 3 hr, as long as the battery was low enough not to be into the tapering near full charge.

When fast charging at some of the evcs charger you can't charge beyond 80%. This can be a problem when you have a distance requirement such as I did when I was wanting to go from Bakerfield to Tehachapi all uphill.

So for a leaf with 6.6 input (6 output) that 18 would be 3 hr, as long as the battery was low enough not to be into the tapering near full charge.

It is not possible to put 18 kWh into an OEM LEAF pack and only see an 18% rise in SoC. The arithmetic works out to needing a 100 kWh pack to see that result My earlier comment saying this was meant to point this out.

He later amended his post to say he meant that his LEAF SoC increases 18% each hour of charging. That makes good sense for a nominal 40 kWh pack since in 5.5 hours he would have about a full pack from empty and would have supplied 5.5*6 kWh = 33 kWh into the pack.

IIRC, a new 40 kWh nominal pack has about 38 kWh usable, so his extrapolated charging works out to a SOH of ~ 33/38 = 87%. A longer charging session would be more accurate.

I know what he is saying, but the "hr" plugged into the wall makes it 18Kw/hr, something not obtainable unless it is DC charging.

Still fuzzy I see. This might make sense if you think "18 kW *for* an hour" instead of '18 kW *per* hour'
E.g., 18 kW for 3 hours is 54 kW*hr (correct) but
18 kW / 3 hrs = 6 kW/hr which is a rate of power change dP/dt -- not at all what you want to say

By analogy, you are writing acceleration when your intent is distance. What do I mean if I write speed/time compared to speed * time ? Which is correct to figure out distance ?
People have trouble with the watt because they do not realize that the base units of a watt are already an amount of energy per time, in this case one joule per second.

Addendum: clarity added. Thanks Kanzi

Last edited:
:cry: Gen2 here. (2018)

You quickly become aware of the charge rate per hour after you have charged a few times.

For example, if I monitor the Nissan App for the SOC as I'm charging, I noticed that if charging at 3.6KW (15Amps/240), the SOC increases 12% per hour on average.

So when I get home for the day, I plug the EVSE I have into the port. Later that evening, at my leisure, I open the Nissan App and see the SOC is 45%

I want to charge to ~75%

So I want an increase of 30%
At 12% per hour, that 2.5 hours.

I open the EVSE app and send the Start Charge command. And I set the timer to stop charging at 2.5 hours from then.

I wake to a Leaf at 75% SOC +-1%

Lots of modern EVSE have features that substitute for the missing Nissan onboard features. But there's no reason not to have all the conveniences that you might desire with the current available charging options.
How do you set the timer from the app?

Back