How to I know when a Volt is fully charged?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrRocket

In case I need to disconnect it from a public charging station?

As we all know, the Leaf windshield blue lights just turn off when no longer charging?

Here's the cheat sheet (from the Volt's manual)

volt_charge_lights.png

However, be aware that disconnecting a volt will set off the car alarm. That's not very plug share friendly, but what do you expect from the American "don't touch my stuff" mentality?

There is a procedure that the owner can go through to disable that...

GeekEV said:
However, be aware that disconnecting a volt will set off the car alarm. That's not very plug share friendly, but what do you expect from the American "don't touch my stuff" mentality?

mogur said:
There is a procedure that the owner can go through to disable that...

GeekEV said:
True. But Chevy dealers seldom educate buyers on that or really anything about the car. There'd be no way to tell if a Volt's charge cord alarm is disabled unless the owner leaves a note on the dashboard as such.

Both cars (the Leaf and the Volt) ought to have an option to activate the alarm for charge cord removal that you would have to manually select whenever you park the car - much like the manual selection to disable the VSP noisemaker every time you start the car.

Why couldn't the car simply send a short text message to let me know if it gets unplugged? But apparently there's no way to do that in the Leaf or the Volt.

johnr said:
Why couldn't the car simply send a short text message to let me know if it gets unplugged? But apparently there's no way to do that in the Leaf or the Volt.

Sure it will. It will send you a "Charging Stopped" message. As opposed to the "Charging Complete" message you'd get when your cars stops by itself.

GeekEV said:

That isn't nice. But when the alarm drains their battery completely, they'll learn to turn the alarm off.

BTW. I saw a Volt owner at LAX just walk right up to a Leaf, pull their plug and plug in their Volt. The Leaf was done charging, but I won't have qualms about disconnecting the solid green Volt at LAX if I need to.

When the plug in Prius comes on line, we'll have to learn their light codes as well.

It won't. Just like on the Leaf and virtually all other cars, it stops and resets after a number of minutes. That is actually required by law in many locales.

DrRocket said:
That isn't nice. But when the alarm drains their battery completely, they'll learn to turn the alarm off.

The LEAF sends the "Charging Stopped" message when unplugged
(charging interrupted), or when it terminates charging at 80%.
However, if the bars in the message is not 10, then you can presume
that the charging was interrupted (not finished at 10%).

It only sends the "Charging Complete" at 100%.

There was a Volt in the L.A. Airport EV parking yesterday. It ICE'd one of the SPI parking spots. I'd hate to be in a RAV4-EV and end up stranded because of a clown like that ... ICE'd by a car that (not only is it not an EV) can't even use the plug. But I've heard of Leaf'rs doing the same thing. Some don't seem to know that their sticker does NOT require them to park in a space specifically set aside for SPI users. You do NOT even have to be in an EV parking space!

It is no different than the people who think they MUST be in the car pool lane so that they can go (insert number of miles per hour here) slower than all the traffic in the regular lanes!

hill said:
There was a Volt in the L.A. Airport EV parking yesterday. It ICE'd one of the SPI parking spots. I'd hate to be in a RAV4-EV and end up stranded because of a clown like that ... ICE'd by a car that (not only is it not an EV) can't even use the plug. But I've heard of Leaf'rs doing the same thing. Some don't seem to know that their sticker does NOT require them to park in a space specifically set aside for SPI users. You do NOT even have to be in an EV parking space!

hill said:
Yeah, I've seen every kind of non-SPI vehicle in those spaces, LEAFs, Volts, eBox, SmartED.
I stopped short of putting a note on the windshield suggesting that parking inside the structure is just as free, legal, and won't deprive some needy SPI EV of juice. Plus, it's better for their paint finish.

Back