How much battery capacity is ideal for your LEAF?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How much initial battery capacity is ideal for your next LEAF?

• 18 kWh - $26,000 Base - $34,000 Loaded

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • 24 kWh - $28,000 Base - $36,000 Loaded

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • 30 kWh - $30,000 Base - $38,000 Loaded

Votes: 20 12.8%
  • 36 kWh - $32,000 Base - $40,000 Loaded

Votes: 46 29.5%
  • 42 kWh - $34,000 Base - $42,000 Loaded

Votes: 10 6.4%
  • 48 kWh - $36,000 Base - $44,000 Loaded

Votes: 34 21.8%
  • 54 kWh - $38,000 Base - $46,000 Loaded

Votes: 8 5.1%
  • 60 kWh - $40,000 Base - $48,000 Loaded

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • 66 kWh - $42,000 Base - $50,000 Loaded

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 72 kWh - $44,000 Base - $52,000 Loaded

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • 78 kWh - $46,000 Base - $54,000 Loaded

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 84 kWh - $48,000 Base - $56,000 Loaded

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • 90 kWh - $50,000 Base - $58,000 Loaded

Votes: 9 5.8%

• Total voters

RegGuheert

Recently, I have been thinking about how much initial battery capacity I think would be ideal for the LEAF. In discussions I have had, I find that my views do not necessarily match up with the those of others.

Of course we would all like to have infinite battery capacity, so what am I asking here?

- Consider that more batteries cost more money (assume each additional 6 kWh adds $2000 to the price).
- Consider that more batteries add more weight which will reduce the efficiency of the LEAF.
- Consider that more batteries take more space and that the LEAF has a finite size.
- Assume that more capacity will mean proportionally longer charging times.
- Assume that the vehicle will be owned and used until it has 70% of its original capacity remaining.
- Assume that the battery uses "hot battery" technology that reduces calendar capacity degradation significantly.
- Consider what market(s) you think the LEAF can/should reasonably address.
- Please answer based on YOUR personal needs.
- Consider whether or not you think the LEAF needs to address all your driving needs?

Given the above and imagining that you are about to go out and purchase a LEAF tomorrow for your needs, what initial capacity would you be looking for?

You will probably get better response if you post price with the battery size. People just glancing at the poll will just chose the largest battery size without reading the lower message. Ideally if the price included a monthly lease cost, that would be great.

DanCar said:
You will probably get better response if you post price with the battery size. People just glancing at the poll will just chose the largest battery size without reading the lower message. Ideally if the price included a monthly lease cost, that would be great.
Great idea! I made the changes per your suggestion. My apologies to the six who have already answered the poll if these changes would affect your votes.

smkettner said:
More battery than a Tesla for half the price :shock:
Change mine from 54 to 90 kWh ;)
It's probably not realistic, since I'm not sure how you would fit 90 kWh into a LEAF (and I have absolutely NO idea whether these prices are reasonable in the near future). Anyway, sorry if it affects your vote, but perhaps there will be enough responses (and discussion) to see what current LEAF owners are thinking in terms of what they want.

If I could buy a LEAF with 36kwh and only pay 32,000 for the base model I would be trading in the 2012 LEAF today.

Your chart shows the 60 kwh being priced at 40,000 to 48,000 and that may be a bit optimistic. The 60kwh Tesla starts at about 70,000 (pre incentive).

So the 30kWh would be a 100 EPA mile car? And the 36kWh would be 112 EPA mile car? For the price, that would be tempting. But I would probably be tempted to stretch my budget at far as I could -- maybe the base 54kWh car? Considering the extra weight, would I get a 150 EPA mile car? If so, at 70% degradation, I would still have a 100 mile car.

I would imagine that higher capacity will have significant disadvantages
  • Lower efficiency because of more weight. Worse mi/kwh in stop and go city driving.
  • Increased weight. Affecting handling, acceleration, stopping distance.
  • Less space. The battery has to go somewhere. The more range you have, the more important cargo space becomes. If its under the trunk then its ok. I wouldn't want to give up trunk space for it.
  • Cost. Might be more than just battery if they need to beef up suspension etc. for the extra weight.
Given the above I voted 36kwh. 48kwh would be preferable if performance and space aren't affected too badly.

What I'd really like is a trailer or portable attachable range extender. The one in the i3 is small. Something like that either towed or attached somehow would be great for the rare occasions I want to drive longer distances.

In all cases another consideration is how the extra battery and/or range extender affects crash safety.

I voted for 90 kWh, and I'd also want access to a "super" quick charging network. :)

On second thought, continuing to save up for a Tesla Model X with AWD and 85+ kWh is probably a better idea.

Admittedly, as a mountain dwelling family, our needs/wants are not exactly typical.

For the LEAF's position in the market and the typical needs it meets, 36 kWh seems closer to ideal. Most people don't want to be cutting it close on range.

It depends on how fast capacity is lost over time. :twisted:

How much capacity can I expect to be remaining after 5 and 10 years (assuming So Cal and 12k miles/year)?

I voted based on wanting about 100 miles usable range through the life of the car and 70% capacity remaining at EOL. I estimate this to take close to 50 kWh so I chose 48 kWh.

I could probably get by with less if charging infrastructure was more available and reliable.

I think the $2000/6kWh is rather optimistic, especially when one gets to the larger battery sizes that would require a bigger and much heavier vehicle.

Regardless, I chose the 36 kWh option because that would fit my current needs quite well, even with some degradation. A Tesla type range would be nice but I couldn't afford it, even at those unrealistically low prices.

dm33 said:
[*]Increased weight. Affecting handling, acceleration, stopping distance.

The LEAF suspension could use some beefing up as it is. I'd expect any significant weight addition would come with suspension upgrades or offsetting weight reductions.

I have a semi-frequent driving destination that is *just* outside of round trip range, by about 10 miles, with no charging options there nor en route. This forces me back into the ICE 2 or 3 times a month. If I could have spent a bit extra just to boost my range by about 15-20 miles, that would have been a no brainer for me!

When I paid MSRP for my 2011 SL, that was pretty much the max I wanted to pay for a car. So, the answer will always be the biggest battery I can get for around that price.

36 kWh would get us to many more destinations and DCQC stations AND back home with a little margin. I am also assuming that this new capacity battery would be a "hot battery" or better, not more of the current chemistry and configuration. We would not be interested in more of the same.

The Coda Sedan with a 31kWh battery and 400 lbs additional heft (not too mention poor aerodynamics and poor overall build quality) managed 88 miles on the EPA test. A 30-36kWh LEAF should handily beat that and would be ideal in my opinion. At 36kWh, a LEAF should beat the magical 100 mile mark on EPA testing which is all I would need. I'd happily pay $30k after rebates for that.

would be nice if you told the non-tecs what the size of the current LEAF battery in the chart.
24 kWh.

(and maybe a tesla and bmw size for comparison. allotta folks dont walk around with that stuff in their heads.)

Back