How many Portland OR Leaf owners Navigation System Issues?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deleted member 7875

Has anyone else in Portland, OR noticed that the 2012 Leaf Navigation System has substituted "Lake Jeanclia, OR" as the name for "Portland, OR"?

If I enter Portland, OR as the City and search for Point of Interest or a Street Address, it will say none found. Once while in Downtown Portland, I noticed all of the nearby locations gave "Lake Jeanclia, OR" as the city name.

I have found if I enter "Lake Jeanclia, OR" instead or "Portland, OR" and then enter a Portland POI or Street Address, it finds it right away.

I thought it was just an issue with my particular car, but I just turned in my leased 2012 Leaf and replaced it with a used 2012 Leaf I purchased from private party and found the same Lake Jeanclia, OR issue.

Nissan has acknowledged they know of this problem. They need to fix it now. This has caused me to be late to meetings a couple of times, or to drive to the wrong location and then run out of range and had to wait around an hour to charge. If a lot of Portlanders have had similar problems, they ought to reimburse us for the inconvenience of having a $2000 navigation system that doesn't work correctly.

I have owned both a 2011SL LEAF, which I passed on to an extended family member, and the 2012SL that replaced it. The navigation systems in each of them had/have the problem that the OP describes. I'll ask another friend if her 2013SL's nav is the same way.

I agree with the OP that this is a defect that Nissan ought to correct at no charge. I would be willing to pay for a more general upgrade to the navigation system firmware in the interest of making it useful, and it would expect such an upgrade to include a fix for the "phantom lake Jeanclia" problem. But that would have to wait until Nissan gets Clue 1 about the notion of providing/selling firmware upgrades.

Apparently this is a Navigon problem: https://www.facebook.com/NAVIGON/posts/10150614123280930" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have never experienced it though on my 2011 Leaf.

Our returned 2012 had the problem with not finding POI and addresses. The 2015 seems OK so far.

The older 2011 also seems OK, it has a manufacturing date of April 2011.

I have a 2012 and have the "Lake Jeanclia, OR" problem as well. I doubt they'll ever fix it though. Once I figured it out it wasn't a huge deal.

OK, I found Wesley at Nissan Leaf Customer Service who confirmed they are aware of the issue with the first map release for 2012. He says it can be fixed by a map update that the dealer must do but should not charge me for. He has given me a case number to fall back on in case the dealer thinks they should charge me. I had already set up an appointment for this issue for next Tuesday, so hopefully, all will go well at this appointment and I can report back a fix.

Before talking to Wesley, I spoke to another agent who knew nothing about it and referred me to the Navigation people who referred me right back to Nissan Leaf Customer Service.

Update = today, the Leaf tech at my local dealer told me the "Lake Jeanclea" issue is a hardware issue requiring changing out the GPS unit. There is a Service Bulletin out on this and they have ordered the GPS unit expected to arrive in one to two weeks.

Back