How is sound system quality in Leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used the handsfree extensively and the reports by those I have called has been that the voice quality was very good. The quality at my end has also been very good and noise has not been an issue at either end of the connection. I'm quite happy with the handsfree quality overall.

garygid said:
Cell Phone use of Audio system:

Is the wireless, hands-free cell phone speaker voice nice and clear?

How is the microphone input clarity and noise?

GeekEV said:
I've been told that my outbound calls sound crystal clear, like I wasn't even on handsfree.
No doubt this is helped by the low noise level in the cabin. Can't wait for the day when I can pair my phone to a LEAF.

I had a long conversation with a Leaf driver while I was on a Landline, and he was on an AT&T iPhone via bluetooth, and I must say it was the best sounding in-vehicle bluetooth I've ever heard!

-Phil

I had my UK test drive last weekend - there's a very long and detailed write-up at http://www.leaftalk.co.uk/content.php/171-My-test-drive-at-long-last-and-the-opinions-thus-formed if you're interested. One thing I tried was a bluetooth call via my iPhone 4 (on the O2 network) to home, where a digital answering machine recorded my voice.

The greeting message from the answering machine was crystal clear in the car - exceptionally so. It was loud, unmuffled and couldn't be faulted on any level. It sounded as clear as top-quality FM reception (I can't compare to XM, as we don't have that in the UK or, therefore, in the UK LEAF), and there was no trace of the over-boosted high frequencies which some systems use to increase perceived clarity.

When I got home and listened to the message on the digital recorder, it was apparent that the limiting factor was the device's recording quality, not the quality sent from the car and phone. There was no road noise audible whatsoever (though in fairness I was hardly moving at the time), but to my surprise and delight I didn't hear any horrible squelch artefacts either (when low-level noise is muted too aggressively, and quiet or trailing vowel sounds of speech are also truncated). It was as close to flawless as it could be.

I wasn't able to test the level of echo cancellation, since I didn't have a real person at the other end.

-Jef.

Good test, Jef...I hadn't thought about the UK not having XM radio. What did Nissan put in place of the XM button on the upper left of the NAV unit?

Randy

If I recall correctly, we have AM/FM on the top button, CD on the middle one, and AUX on the bottom one, whereas the American model has AM/FM, CD/AUX, and XM. In other words, they've just spaced it all out a bit to use up the buttons.

There are a few other differences too - there are no buttons on the UK LEAF's rear-view mirror, and I don't know if the UK LEAF still has the US model's auto-dimming mirror - does that need buttons, or are they all for the HomeLink transceiver (which we also don't have)?

There's no official spec sheet for the UK model yet, although my salesman told me it should be released around this week. Problems in Japan may delay that if it's coming from there, though.

-Jef.

JeFurry said:
I had my UK test drive last weekend - there's a very long and detailed write-up at http://www.leaftalk.co.uk/content.php/171-My-test-drive-at-long-last-and-the-opinions-thus-formed .
A lot of useful information! I get my first chance to drive a LEAF this weekend at the "Drive Electric" event in Washington DC. Its a bit of a drive to Washington from here in Philadelphia, especially since it'll probably be 5-10 minute test drive at best. But hopefully there will be a couple "static" LEAFs for me to try the sound system, etc. Probably a step down from my Magneplaners at home, but I'm hoping it's a step up from the excessively boomy system in the Malibu I'm driving now. As to XM, that will be interesting; it suffers from rather draconian low bit-rate on many channels, but I'll be interested to see how it sounds in the LEAF.

tps said:
Probably a step down from my Magneplaners at home, but I'm hoping it's a step up from the excessively boomy system in the Malibu I'm driving now.
I wouldn't claim it's a top-notch system by any means, and anyone who's spent serious money on speakers and amps will not be impressed. But it's better (IMHO) than many other manufacturer-supplied car systems I've tried. The high end is definitely clearer than most, and didn't become sibilant or tinny. Mid-range is so-so. I was mainly concerned about potential lack of bass, since the Skoda I'll be moving from has speakers that sound like they were made to be 80s walkman headphones, just massively overdriven. The LEAF setup had moderate bass power. It did seem to have a slight tendency towards boominess, presumably because that's where road noise is in competition with it. I don't want you to be disappointed. But at modest levels it wasn't excessive, and it was quite pleasant to listen to - and the more I cranked up the volume with pointless-but-it-rocks dance-y stuff, the less I cared about finesse and more about thumping beats, which it delivered pretty well. If you listen to local commercial junk pop music, UK radio channels usually suffer from massive dynamic range compression, and the result through LEAF - or any - speakers is boomy and tiring on the ears. I don't know if this is the same in the US, but it's a fault of the source material, not the reproduction. With decent source material, though, it was probably best described as a competent and pleasing effort - not sufficient for those with expertise and finesse, but quite passable considering the listening conditions in a car, and all the better for not having to overcome engine noise as well as background road noise.

For what it's worth, my short listening test was done with the tone controls (which are basic bass and treble) at the neutral positions, so there's still scope for at least some imprecise tweaking. I intended to do some spoken word tests, since I sometimes listen to audiobooks or BBC Radio 4 (a fairly highbrow news/drama/documentary/talk radio channel) in the car, but I ran out of time and had other things on my mind. If I get another chance - or when I get my own LEAF - I'll follow up.

As to XM, that will be interesting; it suffers from rather draconian low bit-rate on many channels, but I'll be interested to see how it sounds in the LEAF.
Think yourself lucky - in the UK (though not on the LEAF) we have DAB - Digital Audio Broadcast. The idea is basically similar to MP3 transmission over radio frequencies, but unfortunately they're using a rather old codec at a low bitrate, and the quality is nowhere near what it should have been. It's better than FM at some content types, but significantly worse at others. On the bright side, it's almost completely free of reception noise, being digital. But it suffers very badly from digital distortion and breakup when the signal's weak.

I have to be honest. The more I listen to the system in my Leaf, the more I realize just how crappy it is... It truly is what I would expect from a very-bottom-of-the-line Versa!

tps said:
I get my first chance to drive a LEAF this weekend at the "Drive Electric" event in Washington DC. Its a bit of a drive to Washington from here in Philadelphia, especially since it'll probably be 5-10 minute test drive at best. But hopefully there will be a couple "static" LEAFs for me to try the sound system, etc. Probably a step down from my Magneplaners at home, but I'm hoping it's a step up from the excessively boomy system in the Malibu I'm driving now. As to XM, that will be interesting; it suffers from rather draconian low bit-rate on many channels, but I'll be interested to see how it sounds in the LEAF.

What are you comparing it to, though?

In my case, I'm coming from a truly knackered old Skoda Fabia, which has two awful things I hesitate to even call speakers, driven by a medium-quality Sony head unit chosen because it'll play CDs of AAC/iTunes files. Compared to that, the LEAF's stuff is great. But I'll freely admit that I only got to try it for about ten minutes, and haven't had time to test thoroughly.

If you're used to something better, it'll make a lot of difference - people's hearing varies widely, but the range of opinions varies even more, it's incredibly subjective.

You say it's "crappy"... but can you be more specific about in what way?

I'm comparing it to the standard sound system in our BMW and Acura. I find the Leaf system to have poor frequency response, little bass response (no surprise with no subwoofer), a significant deficiency in the mid-ranges and a closed-in sound to it. The sound simply has no openness or depth to it, almost like through a megaphone at times... I find it tiring.

JeFurry said:
What are you comparing it to, though?

In my case, I'm coming from a truly knackered old Skoda Fabia, which has two awful things I hesitate to even call speakers, driven by a medium-quality Sony head unit chosen because it'll play CDs of AAC/iTunes files. Compared to that, the LEAF's stuff is great. But I'll freely admit that I only got to try it for about ten minutes, and haven't had time to test thoroughly.

If you're used to something better, it'll make a lot of difference - people's hearing varies widely, but the range of opinions varies even more, it's incredibly subjective.

You say it's "crappy"... but can you be more specific about in what way?

I would agree with crappy, even against some econobox systems. I really don't want to upgrade but the system is fatiguing on the ears at times. I ordered some JL audio separates and coaxial speakers as well as a digital amp and sub, I'll start with the speakers and see how it goes. Too bad the Clarion junk has no low level out.

Ill be curious how the speaker only swap works out since that clearly is the easiest path.

EVDRIVER said:
I would agree with crappy, even against some econobox systems. I really don't want to upgrade but the system is fatiguing on the ears at times. I ordered some JL audio separates and coaxial speakers as well as a digital amp and sub, I'll start with the speakers and see how it goes. Too bad the Clarion junk has no low level out.

Well, I didn't sound as bad as I thought it might. The sound in the static LEAF was a little boomy to my ears, but I'm sure that with a little road noise in the background it might even sound bass-shy. For my brief listening chance, it sounded like something I can live with. I had both a 32GB USB flash drive and a 16GB Sony walkman, the LEAF recognized both and had no problem playing tracks from the ~2300 avaiable on each device. I sampled some oldies and some jazz; I remember Diana Krall sounded fairly good. The car was very quiet during the drive (I didn't listen to music then), which I'm sure will help.

Certainly not the best sounding car system I've heard, but far from the worst.

tps said:
I remember Diana Krall sounded fairly good.
Incidentally - yesterday I decided to use Krall's "Love Scenes" CD to check out the music system - to give a small report here. This was on the freeway for a while and then on a quite 2 lane highway (WA-900 from Renton to Issaquah).

As expected the mid-mids are ok. Mid-Highs and Highs don't have much definition, so the music sounds less-airy (make it non-airy). Low-Mids and high bass is really muddled. Cello was unrecognizable. There isn't much of a recognizable soundstage, either.

The road noise was intrusive enough that much of the dynamic range in the CD was lost. This is ofcourse the biggest gripe in any auto environment.

Needless to say I won't be popping in many CDs for serious listening.

evnow said:
As expected the mid-mids are ok. Mid-Highs and Highs don't have much definition, so the music sounds less-airy (make it non-airy). Low-Mids and high bass is really muddled. Cello was unrecognizable. There isn't much of a recognizable soundstage, either.

The road noise was intrusive enough that much of the dynamic range in the CD was lost. This is ofcourse the biggest gripe in any auto environment.

Needless to say I won't be popping in many CDs for serious listening.
I'd have been shocked if the LEAF was anywhere near my home listening experience with Magneplaners. However, at least my brief listening time in the LEAF did not leave me with the impression that the system is unlistenable. Probably the only way to get a decent soundstage is with "kick panel" enclosures. I've signed the Hertz rental LEAF out for a Saturday afternoon drive in a couple weeks, so I'll get a chance to hear the system for a more extended period then...

I agree, it's not unlistenable, but it's far from great. Someone here described it as "fatiguing", which I think is a great way to describe it. It just wears on you after prolonged listening.

tps said:
Probably the only way to get a decent soundstage is with "kick panel" enclosures. I've signed the Hertz rental LEAF out for a Saturday afternoon drive in a couple weeks, so I'll get a chance to hear the system for a more extended period then...
Dang, I was hoping that those A-pillar tweeters would have at least resulted in a decent soundstage. Perhaps a deficiency in the upper-mids is contributing to the issue.

Do kick panel enclosures need to be custom made for a car? I thought I recalled that people would mold the enclosures out of fiberglass in order to make them blend (visually) as well as possible. That sounds like a major pain if you're not planning on entering a car-audio competition!

I'm still hoping that a speaker swap, along with the possible addition of more amplification, and possibly a small powered-sub, might be all that most people need. (Well, most people will be fine with the stock set-up, but you know what I mean.) ;)

[EDIT] Here's a link to some kick panel enclosures that are made for other cars.

DaveNagy said:
tps said:
Probably the only way to get a decent soundstage is with "kick panel" enclosures. I've signed the Hertz rental LEAF out for a Saturday afternoon drive in a couple weeks, so I'll get a chance to hear the system for a more extended period then...
Dang, I was hoping that those A-pillar tweeters would have at least resulted in a decent soundstage. Perhaps a deficiency in the upper-mids is contributing to the issue.
I'm guessing the tweets won't go low enough to give a convincing soundstage. Plus there's the huge difference in the path length between the left tweeter and the right tweeter. The main reason to put them up high is to get them on axis with your ears, not your ankles. Lower frequencies are much more forgiving to being off axis. I still might be interested in putting some good speakers in the LEAF, at some point. Though it seems they are fairly unknown (and expensive), I had good luck with using Focal speakers in my Camry. Tweeters were the most natural sounding I've ever heard from a car speaker.

Back