Honk!!!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
johnr said:
If everybody adjusted their mirrors correctly this would reduce the blind spot tremendously. Many people have their side-view mirrors adjusted so they can see straight back and see part of their car. This is not optimal as it duplicates part of what you can see in the rear-view mirror and enlarges the blind spot in the process. Fortunately there's a better way. Since I started adjusting them differently I've noticed my blind spots are almost non-existent and I feel much safer.

Yeah, but for that to work people would actually have to USE their mirrors, wouldn't they? :twisted: That would require thought and common senses, two things that many drivers out there fail to have. Sad, but true.

gasmiser1 said:
I tried the horn at the local dealer in town.* The Leaf horn isn't loud enough and a bit wimpy sounding :-(
I'm afraid it won't be commanding enough at freeway speeds.

Replacing the horn will be the first mod I do to the car. I've replaced the horns on both of my 1st gen Insights and our Toyota Tacoma with 2009 Honda Ridgeline horns. Now people can hear the horns on the freeway.

*Nissan made a special stop for 1hr 30 min on the way to load the car onto a semi heading to an LA show. The dealer let us try all the buttons, touch screen features, fold the seats down, etc., just short of not test driving or getting a ride in the car.

Both times I've test driven the LEAF, I've forgotten to fold down the seats. Can you tell me if the fold down flat compared to the rear compartment so as someone could comfortable sleep back there with the seats down?

tgrichdriving said:
Both times I've test driven the LEAF, I've forgotten to fold down the seats. Can you tell me if the fold down flat compared to the rear compartment so as someone could comfortable sleep back there with the seats down?

The seats fold down flat when compared to each other, but there is a 'drop off' of about 6 inches from behind the seats to the bottom of the storage compartment. So, no, it's not flat enough to sleep on. Perhaps the cargo organizer will fill this void and make it flat.....

We checked out the horn on our test drive. It's a standard safety feature so I've always inspected it on any car I've been considering.

I'm afraid anyone on this thread will want to be replacing their horn. It's very Japanese. High pitched, very quiet. Almost polite.

During our test drive a small group of pedestrians wandered out in front of us in te parking lot to have a discussion. Several honks later, my wife finally opened the window and yelled at them to move, because the horn near their ankles didn't even cause them to flinch.

Every whimpy car (and motorcycle) gets a Stebel Nautilus. Easy upgrade, nice and loud, without requiring wiring upgrades, air hoses, or compressors.

148618d1289278102-stebel-nautilus-air-horn-airhorn-pic.jpg

I've had no luck with the smaller FIAMM horns:
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f129/replaced-horn-fiamm-hi-low-horn-set-13682/

driveleaf said:
We checked out the horn on our test drive. It's a standard safety feature so I've always inspected it on any car I've been considering.

I'm afraid anyone on this thread will want to be replacing their horn. It's very Japanese. High pitched, very quiet. Almost polite.

During our test drive a small group of pedestrians wandered out in front of us in te parking lot to have a discussion. Several honks later, my wife finally opened the window and yelled at them to move, because the horn near their ankles didn't even cause them to flinch.

I may replace it with the horn from my BMW. THAT sucker gets peoples attention!! I HATE wimpy horns..... :evil:

GroundLoop said:
Every whimpy car (and motorcycle) gets a Stebel Nautilus. Easy upgrade, nice and loud, without requiring wiring upgrades, air hoses, or compressors.
GroundLoop, thanks for the recommendation on the Stebel brand! I visited their site, and liked the sound of their truck horn the best: http://www.stebel.it/stebel2009/products.asp?IDserie=17&uso=1&tipologia=pickup. Hopefully, I'll be able to find enough space for it under the hood once I get my Leaf. Here is the U.S. site: http://www.stebel-usa.com/product/.

If anyone wants to get really crazy and make their little EV sound like a freight train (and I mean really sound like a freight train), check out this hilarious video and imagine that sound coming from your leaf: http://youtu.be/2eptqTii74s. :lol:

And if that's (somehow :!: :?: ) still not enough horn for you, there's always a ferry horn: http://youtu.be/rjR5K_Fb6r4.

Jimmydreams said:
tgrichdriving said:
The seats fold down flat when compared to each other, but there is a 'drop off' of about 6 inches from behind the seats to the bottom of the storage compartment. So, no, it's not flat enough to sleep on. Perhaps the cargo organizer will fill this void and make it flat.....
See this thread.

What is the LEAF's horn circuit fused at?

The new horn pair I have apparently wants a 10 Amp fuse.

If the LEAF's horn circuit is fused at 10 amps or more, I will
not need to wire in the included horn relay, and can just
use the wiring that is already in place.

garygid said:
What is the LEAF's horn circuit fused at?

The new horn pair I have apparently wants a 10 Amp fuse.

If the LEAF's horn circuit is fused at 10 amps or more, I will
not need to wire in the included horn relay, and can just
use the wiring that is already in place.
The service manual shows the LEAF's horn on a 10A fuse.

What horn did you get?

And please post any noteworthy installation notes.

Back