High pitched whirring noise?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having flown jets, I LOVE the sound of the LEAF spooling up. Wish it was just a little louder. Makes me wonder what a car with two LEAF "turbines" sounds like. ;)

Just played the UTube clip of the NISMO RC mentioned in a previous post. Can't believe folks are complaining! :eek:
This reminds me of when I went to the Indy 500 the year that gas turbine cars were allowed (1967?) Sounds just like one. If my new Leaf sounds like this, I may never play music. :D

charlie1300 said:
... Can't believe folks are complaining! :eek:... If my new Leaf sounds like this, I may never play music. :D

Anyone that thinks, or wants, EV's to be totally silent is in for a shock! These things are alive and spinning music. It would make for an interesting poll; Total Silence vs. Fine The Way It Is vs. Give Me MORE!

Dealer confirms 2012 will not have switch. Having just taken another test drive, I would vote for total silence any day. That whine may well be a migraine trigger for me. But I'm sure my lawyer (if I had one) would tell me I'm stuck with that rather than the liability of wire cutters.

copdoc said:
Dealer confirms 2012 will not have switch. Having just taken another test drive, I would vote for total silence any day. That whine may well be a migraine trigger for me. But I'm sure my lawyer (if I had one) would tell me I'm stuck with that rather than the liability of wire cutters.

This is why they give test drives. ;)
I just tell people its the Batmobile Turbine, and I like it, sorry.

If there was a way to make it go away that would be a nice improvement IMO. It's mildly annoying, probably because the car is so quiet otherwise.

I like it. It makes me want to drive faster! So much for hypermiling when I don't have to push my range.
I can understand how some people wouldn't like it.

Blackhouse said:
I can understand how some people wouldn't like it.

Makes the car sound like a trash truck as you're backing out of your driveway in the morning, and a passenger jet pulling into a terminal gate as you’re pulling into your garage in the evening.

TRONZ said:
Having flown jets, I LOVE the sound of the LEAF spooling up. Wish it was just a little louder. Makes me wonder what a car with two LEAF "turbines" sounds like. ;)

I want the start up jingle to be a turbine spooling up, click, click, click of the ignitors, air turbine starter spinning up, and then light off.

Digging this one up...

I have the same issue on my newly purchased 2011 Leaf.

I guess it's just the way things go?

It sounds exactly like that NISMO video from earlier in the thread.

My wife hates it, I'm kind of annoyed by it also. At higher speeds it gets muffled by ambient noise and the radio.

But I guess the consensus is that it's not a problem, just a normal thing that pretty much all early Leafs had?

Back