help with buying

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwilliams

I'm concerned about sleazy dealer tactics the day I pick up my leaf.

I've ordered my leaf and expect delivery in November, according to my online nissan account. The sales guy told me that the price will be MSRP and no delivery charge. I told them I'm paying cash but the online info says I'm financing. I want this whole thing spelled out in writing. Any recommendations / suggestions? I plan to pick up my leaf with a check for MSRP and no more.

BTW, this dealer, Mossy in Escondido, had a leaf on the floor for 8K over MSRP so I'm wondering if creating an orphan situation is to their advantage.

bwilliams said:

I've ordered my leaf and expect delivery in November, according to my online nissan account. The sales guy told me that the price will be MSRP and no delivery charge. I told them I'm paying cash but the online info says I'm financing. I want this whole thing spelled out in writing. Any recommendations / suggestions? I plan to pick up my leaf with a check for MSRP and no more.

BTW, this dealer, Mossy in Escondido, had a leaf on the floor for 8K over MSRP so I'm wondering if creating an orphan situation is to their advantage.

Bwilliams I share your concern and it appears we are all in the same boat. At the end of the day, it's a free country and the car belongs to the dealer until the deal is closed, so they can change the price, make up extra fees, or anything else they want to extract more money from us. If you have convinced yourself that getting the LEAF is the be-all-end-all in your life they've got a lot of leverage over you. On the other hand if you are willing to stand your ground the only person who can take the car from you is another buyer who is willing to pay more. Remember buying the LEAF is a poor choice from a personal finance standpoint so the way I see it they would actually be doing me a favor by trying to pull a fast one at the last minute and causing me to walk away.

Delivery is always on top of the negotiated price. So if you've negotiated MSRP, then it will be plus delivery. If you've negotiated a price that is less than MSRP, at the difference between MSRP and delivery, only then would you be at MSRP.

Note that MSRP is also going to be plus tax and license. You do realize that, right?. So take a check in for MSRP and you still ain't leaving with a car.

mwalsh said:
Delivery is always on top of the negotiated price. So if you've negotiated MSRP, then it will be plus delivery. If you've negotiated a price that is less than MSRP, at the difference between MSRP and delivery, only then would you be at MSRP.

Note that MSRP is also going to be plus tax and license. You do realize that, right?. So take a check in for MSRP and you still ain't leaving with a car.

Mwalsh I don't think he's talking about the mfrs destination charges. Maybe you don't have it in CA but here in FL dealers invent various fees to tack on to the deal that have nothing to do with tax, license and other fees imposed by the state. They are nothing more than a sleight of hand increase in the quoted price.

bwilliams said:
I've ordered my leaf and expect delivery in November, according to my online nissan account. The sales guy told me that the price will be MSRP and no delivery charge.
The last I heard, Fontana Nissan had a couple of "orphan" LEAFs (2011 MY) available now at MSRP. You could potentially get yourself into a LEAF much sooner than expected, if you don't mind taking a 2011 (which also happens to be priced lower).

abasile said:
The last I heard, Fontana Nissan had a couple of "orphan" LEAFs (2011 MY) available now at MSRP. You could potentially get yourself into a LEAF much sooner than expected, if you don't mind taking a 2011 (which also happens to be priced lower).

That's interesting. I'm wondering once the frenetic demand of the 3000 or so enthusiasts registered on this message board is satisfied if these things aren't going to be languishing on dealers' lots... particularly if gas stays in the $3.50 price range for a while. Maybe in a year I can get a couple thou off MSRP. All the more reason to walk if the dealer cops an attitude.

A 2011 actually has a number of advantages over a 2012 here in California since we have no to little use for the cold weather package... And the folks at Fontana Nissan (Danny and Joanna) are GREAT to work with!

Anyone who pays $8K over MSRP, be it Mossy or anywhere else, is simply brain dead. Orphan cars are too easy to get elsewhere these days at MSRP...

abasile said:

bwilliams said:

The RAQ should contain all the necessary details and pricing. If it is for MSRP then that is what it will be, although you will still pay the standard Nissan destination charge. The RAQ spells it out, does not matter what the sales guy says. The RAQ is your written agreement.

Cash and finance are the same thing. Cash is just an immediate single payment in full.

Now when you say cash are you going to show up with a suitcase of $100 bills totalling the ~$37,000?

Writing a check or having a cashier's check is NOT the same as cash. Dealer may still require to run your credit to take ANY check. You don't need a big score but just to verify who your are to the dealer. If you do have actual cash there will be a federal banking form for transactions over $10,000. You may need to fill out the form when you withdraw the money and at the dealer when you complete the purchase. Another 'cash' option is direct wire transfer. This will be time consuming and could delay into the next day by the time you complete the final papers, order the wire, and the dealer can verify receipt of the money. Anyhoo, discuss your payment method with the dealer as they may have their own hoops to jump through.

smkettner said:
Writing a check or having a cashier's check is NOT the same as cash. Dealer may still require to run your credit to take ANY check. You don't need a big score but just to verify who your are to the dealer.

I bought a car last month and paid with a bank check. Frankly I was a bit surprised because even with a machine printed bank check how do you know it isn't faked? They didn't run my credit and I never gave them my SS #, although they did get other documentation like insurance and driver's license. It was in the evening when I picked up the car and doubt they could have called the bank to confirm the check was real.

abasile said:
I concur with the suggestion to contact Fontana Nissan where they have a track record of dealing opening and fairly. Early in the process, we met with Danny in person and kept in touch on orphans over several months even though we had our car delivered locally because of the distance to Fontana.

We have never purchased a car with dealer financing, but whether cash or outside financing, we have always negotiated everything prior ordering a car and gotten it in writing. In the case of a Leaf, that would happen before dropping the RAQ on the dealer. Cars that have been offered to us with dealer-installed fabric protection, "polyslickemcoat" paint protection, pin stripes, (dealer protection) theft protection systems, etc. were fine, but having not ordered them, I was not paying for them. Could a dealer try to squeeze something in on a Leaf during the delivery process? Sure, but one must be willing to make it as difficult for them to try as for you to accept. I won't elaborate beyond here except to say that if one selects the dealer prudently in the first place (and MNL is THE place to start) you will deliver with no surprises and drive off without elevated blood pressure.

Good luck with your adventure!

mwalsh said:

Not necessarily. It depends on the deal that one negotiates. My deal included "D & D". The wording on the Nissan website that confirms my price is:

This price includes the Destination and Delivery fee. It does not include DMV and Sales Tax fees. Thank you!

Even with D & D and a few accessories included, my price was below MSRP. Will the dealer try to increase it when I show up to purchase the car? Perhaps, but I doubt it. I guess I'll find out.

I bought a can of beans at the grocery store for 79 cents. There was nothing added to that price when I checked out to cover the cost of transporting the can to the grocery store, placing it on the shelf, dusting it off if it sat there too long, or the paper cash register tape used to document the sale. Only with cars does the consumer accept such nonsense from retailers.

And you can thank the states for much of it as they have prevented, by law, the vehicle manufacturers from making any significant changes or improvements in the system due to a very strong dealer lobby that resists such changes and protects the dealer interests at all costs.

LTLFTcomposite said:
I bought a can of beans at the grocery store for 79 cents. There was nothing added to that price when I checked out to cover the cost of transporting the can to the grocery store, placing it on the shelf, dusting it off if it sat there too long, or the paper cash register tape used to document the sale. Only with cars does the consumer accept such nonsense from retailers.

dgpcolorado said:
My deal included "D & D". The wording on the Nissan website that confirms my price is:

This price includes the Destination and Delivery fee. It does not include DMV and Sales Tax fees. Thank you!

Even with D & D and a few accessories included, my price was below MSRP. Will the dealer try to increase it when I show up to purchase the car? Perhaps, but I doubt it. I guess I'll find out.

Yes, but what happened is that you negotiated a price that was below MSRP and your price shown in your online account reflects the full price (plus tax, license, and fees, IIRC). I would expect that, though I'd have to look way back through my paperwork to see if that's how mine was reflected (I've had my car for over 8 months now).

I guess we really have to hear from the OP again and see how his deal breaks down, dollar-by-dollar.

bwilliams said:

I've ordered my leaf and expect delivery in November, according to my online nissan account. The sales guy told me that the price will be MSRP and no delivery charge. I told them I'm paying cash but the online info says I'm financing. I want this whole thing spelled out in writing. ...
Have you tried asking the dealer for the whole thing spelled out in writing? Leon at Mossy was happy to email the complete breakdown when I asked for it. It was comforting to know that I had all the fees spelled out before I walked in.

I asked the dealer for a print-out of their computer screen where it shows the monthly payment for the lease including registration and taxes; they sent me the reply to the RAQ saying "The payments include all taxes and fees"

As I'm in Georgia, I'm still required to go to the Tag Office and pay the ad-valorem tax, or road tax, to get my license plate.

When I did mine, my dealer showed the offered discounted price (including destination) on the Nissan order page. This is before tax and registration fee and license plate fee. But the Nissan order page had a standard built-in clause that says "destination and taxes and fees not included in the quoted price". So I insisted that the dealer put in some special wording in there that says "destination fee is included in this price". He obliged and put it in. I never had any issue when I picked up the car and they honor the price the quoted, with destination fee included.

Sorry for the delay in getting back; nice day for a long bike ride here in San Diego County - and thanks for the info. PS "he" is a "she" not that I care that much. : ) Oh, and PPS - saw 3 LEAFS!

OK, so I meant destination charge rather than delivery, I guess. The sales guy told me NO destination charge and the total cost is MSRP (yes, plus tax and license). Leon at the other Mossy wrote back to me and quoted $1000 off MSRP plus $850 destination. $150 savings there but much longer drive and I sort of want to establish a relationship at the Escondido Mossy as it's just a few miles from my home.

Good reality check. They have the final say. I essentially grew up in a Datsun->Nissan dealership, ironically to me now, so there is no way I'm gonna let some sleaze bag sales guy rip me off. My ego will walk and I will follow. And the post that said "poor financial decision" is absolutely right. This car is a political statement for me, largely, and I don't have to make it.

I will head down to the dealership and get something on paper, if I can.

I am definitely interested in the 2011 and was really bummed out when I realized I could only order a 2012. I'll call Fontana (where the heck is Fontana - kidding, I'll google).

Oh, and I've bought my last 3 cars with a personal check at dealerships over the last 15 years. I am still amazed that I can write a check and drive a brand new car away minutes later. I do think they ran a credit check each time, but don't remember for sure.

Got to figure out these acronyms - making me a little nuts on this forum. RAQ? (request "something" quote??), MNL? - I have no freaking idea.

I will reply with details when I have them. This is what I've got online:

$37,250 transaction price
this price includes:

2012 Nissan LEAF™ SL trim
cayenne red
no options selected
no accessories selected

RAQ is the Request A Qoute that is in the Nissan portal where you place the actual order and confirm the price.

MNL should be this forum. My Nissan Leaf

Back