Heater Temperature in 2015 Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gtdelt said:
We actually tried it today in non-Eco mode and it was definitely warmer. We have the S trim in the 2015 model. I think maybe the Eco mode was not making it as warm as it should be.

I guess it's worth saying...since the "S" trim has the same (resistive) heater as the 11/12, we know that ECO mode limits the power draw on the heater and hence the time it takes to heat the element that actually provides the warm air. In addition, it may limit the max amount of heat generated (over time) for the same reason (limits power consumption of heating element).
FWIW, I think the heater works great in my 2011, it just takes a lot of energy to operate (as we all know).

MartinChico said:
I am almost ready to buy a 2015 Leaf, and I feel well-informed due to this forum!

I have one last question: For $3,000, I can step up from the S to the SV. The major advantages for us are (a) "remote control" via CARWINGS, and (b) the hybrid heater, heat pump.

Does anyone have any advice about this? Is the better HVAC system work much better? (Note our climate is generally mild, but we have a couple of hot months in the summer.)

(Also, CARWINGS looks really handy, but is it worth the extra bucks? Can anyone who uses this system weigh in?)

THANKS!

Martin

Martin,

If you are buying the Leaf, I would recommend bumping up to the SV. The Nav/touch screen, Carwings, Bluetooth audio, 6.6kw charger, hybrid heat are well worth it and are things you would probably want long term.

I leased an S model simply because I wanted the cheapest payment and I don't plan on keeping it past the lease term. I would not have purchased an S trim. I'm interested in seeing what EV range will be like in 3 years. I'm hoping many will be pushing 150+ miles. I know Tesla has plans to release a $35k model with 200+ miles around 2017-18.

I think you would be wasting your money with the SV. its hybrid heater does you no good during those "few bad Summer months". the New S comes with Cruise control and B mode which are the only two things I miss.

as far as ANY car based NAV, you willing to pay $150 in a few years for map updates? Or just use your phone which only requires you to know the dead spots on your routes. (you can navigate thru dead spots but can't program routes or detours)

so not sure where you can justify that $3,000 but its all a matter of personal preference. I got the S and do not regret it a bit

MartinChico said:
I am almost ready to buy a 2015 Leaf, and I feel well-informed due to this forum!

I have one last question: For $3,000, I can step up from the S to the SV. The major advantages for us are (a) "remote control" via CARWINGS, and (b) the hybrid heater, heat pump.

Does anyone have any advice about this? Is the better HVAC system work much better? (Note our climate is generally mild, but we have a couple of hot months in the summer.)

(Also, CARWINGS looks really handy, but is it worth the extra bucks? Can anyone who uses this system weigh in?)

THANKS!

Martin

A mild climate is where the heat pump really shines -- i.e., temps in the 30's and above, the heat pump draws very little power to keep the cabin warm. Remarkably less than the old-style heater. It depends on your range needs. Either system will keep you warm and/or cool enough. But the heat-pump could allow you to take longer drives in comfort vs. a long run in the cold without heat trying to stretch the range.

I do like the convenience of CarWings, especially being able to turn on the climate control remotely is a joy. There is some question about what Nissan will do when AT&T discontinues 2G cellular service in a couple of years. AFAIK the LEAF is still be manufactured with a 2G cellular receiver. I expect them to come up with a reasonable solution but who knows.

I drive a 2013 S with a charge package, and all I miss is B mode and cruise control. Which I believe is standard on the 2015 S right now. I definitely would not buy a leaf without the big charger, and the quick charge port. Both come as a 1700 dollar option on the S. If you buy a SV, the big charger comes standard, but you have to spend 1600 to get the quick charge port, and LED headlights (big deal I say) so basically in my onion, all you are gaining for the 3000 more you'd spend on the sv with the quick charge port over the s with the charge package is recycled cloth seats, led headlights, auto on off headlights, fancy wheels and carwings. Oh, and the heat pump heater. Which only works in heat pump mode down to temps in the high 30s. It's resistance heat when the temps drop lower. Temps where you could turn the seat heater on and put on a coat anyway. If you use defrost, the heat pump goes into dehumidify mode and the resistance heaters provide the heat. While I was bummed at first about not having a heat pump, I realize now not having it isn't much of a big deal. In soggy Seattle I have to run the car in defrost or ac all the time anyway to keep the windshield from fogging up. Most of the range lost in cold weather comes from the cold dense air and moving the water around on the road anyway. I've experimented heat on heat off and the difference is 20 percent max. Plus I understand the heat pump cars are less efficient than the non heat pump cars in ac mode. which I use more often than heat anyway.

johnrhansen said:
Oh, and the heat pump heater. Which only works in heat pump mode down to temps in the high 30s. It's resistance heat when the temps drop lower.
This statement is incorrect.
The heat pump is providing more efficient heating down to around 4F.
It doesn't make a big difference below 15F.
But it is a significant difference in the 20F to high 30s.

Tim
Thank you for jumping on that heat pump statement. Seems that most people confuse the useful operating temp range of the Leaf heat pump to a residential heat pump. My 2013 Leaf heat pump works very well in MN compared to the resistance heater in my old 2012.

Rauv said:
... Seems that most people confuse the useful operating temp range of the Leaf heat pump to a residential heat pump. ...
And they have locked in their head the temperature operating range of residential heat pumps from 20 to 45 years ago.
The Japanese and Europeans have been making residential heat pump systems that operate efficiently down to very low temperatures for more than twenty years.
Have finally begun to be used in US in last five to ten years.
There are now residential heat pumps that do not require backup resistance heating at all in the Southeast US. Work well to -5F to -10F.

johnrhansen said:
I drive a 2013 S with a charge package, and all I miss is B mode and cruise control. Which I believe is standard on the 2015 S right now. I definitely would not buy a leaf without the big charger, and the quick charge port. Both come as a 1700 dollar option on the S. If you buy a SV, the big charger comes standard, but you have to spend 1600 to get the quick charge port, and LED headlights (big deal I say) so basically in my onion, all you are gaining for the 3000 more you'd spend on the sv with the quick charge port over the s with the charge package is recycled cloth seats, led headlights, auto on off headlights, fancy wheels and carwings. Oh, and the heat pump heater. Which only works in heat pump mode down to temps in the high 30s. It's resistance heat when the temps drop lower. Temps where you could turn the seat heater on and put on a coat anyway. If you use defrost, the heat pump goes into dehumidify mode and the resistance heaters provide the heat. While I was bummed at first about not having a heat pump, I realize now not having it isn't much of a big deal. In soggy Seattle I have to run the car in defrost or ac all the time anyway to keep the windshield from fogging up. Most of the range lost in cold weather comes from the cold dense air and moving the water around on the road anyway. I've experimented heat on heat off and the difference is 20 percent max. Plus I understand the heat pump cars are less efficient than the non heat pump cars in ac mode. which I use more often than heat anyway.

ya, I have also played with the heater to see what the impact was and my comfort zone is probably a lot different than most since I dress for the weather but I found there to be slightly less than a 10% difference between only running defrost enough to clear the glass verses running heat (which requires defrost to run more often) just enough to break the chill in the car.

but keep in mind; our Winters are much longer and I also have a job where I frequent VERY cold areas. (this past week I spent time in a forklift cage reading serial numbers off of security cams inside a 3½ acre 0º storage freezer. I do not have the clothing to survive this environment longer than about 30 mins at a time but was able to "warm" up in the produce locker at a balmy 39º...) and my defrost needs are probably MUCH greater than yours

I could have sworn I read that the heat pump did not work in near freezing temperatures in the owners manual. I looked again though and didn't see it. oops.. sorry. I self-installed a 12,000 BTU Mitsubishi ductless heat pump system in my house. Yes it does work well in temperatures in the teens. BUT... It needs to go through a de ice cycle when the exterior coils ice up. Since it has no supplemental heat, it just stops heating for 10 to 15 minutes. It's noticeable.. but only at really cold temperatures.

DaveinOlyWA said:
(this past week I spent time in a forklift cage reading serial numbers off of security cams inside a 3½ acre 0º storage freezer. I do not have the clothing to survive this environment longer than about 30 mins at a time but was able to "warm" up in the produce locker at a balmy 39º...)
I'd suggest looking into Carhartt coveralls. I found one at a yard sale a number of years ago and haven't had occasion to wear it much, but it's the most effective cold-weather outerwear I've ever run across...

RegGuheert said:
The bottom line here is that a 2015S has the same crappy heater that the 2011 and 2012s had. The difference is that in the 2011 and 2012s, we can turn on the heater remotely and have the car fully warmed *before* we get into the car.

...and that benefit will only exist for another 15 days, IIUC. :(

Edit: Correction: The Carwings benefit should last for another 1 year and 16 days.

Remotely initiated heat may go the way of the do do, but the climate timer will continue to provide a toasty interior prior to my commute each morning :)

DaveInAvl said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
(this past week I spent time in a forklift cage reading serial numbers off of security cams inside a 3½ acre 0º storage freezer. I do not have the clothing to survive this environment longer than about 30 mins at a time but was able to "warm" up in the produce locker at a balmy 39º...)
I'd suggest looking into Carhartt coveralls. I found one at a yard sale a number of years ago and haven't had occasion to wear it much, but it's the most effective cold-weather outerwear I've ever run across...

body not an issue and never has been. spent two years in Alaska, MI, etc. so have seen cold a lot. its hands and feet... Head is fine (perfect excuse to wear my Seattle Seahawks Knit Cap!)

Back