Have you ever taken a fairly long trip in the Leaf for fun?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've looked pretty carefully at going south on 95 from my home. It looks like there would be a place to charge (public) about every 50 miles or less. I could pretty much go as far as I wanted, I think. It's funny, because going to the north on 95 wouldn't work well at all. I could start in Richmond Hill Ga, go to Golden Isles Nissan in Brunswick, then on to Jacksonville (several locations), then St Augustine, etc. It could be fun, and as soon as we got tired of it, we could just turn around. Take care, LauraA

LauraA said:
KJD said:
LauraA said:
Now that I've been introduced to Plugshare, I've been wondering. Have any of you taken long trips using public or home chargers along the way? I know that it's not an ideal way to travel, but it could be a fun adventure. There are so few charging stations in this area (southern GA), but I saw several home ones listed on plugshare (I also listed my own!).

Laura,
Here in Utah the charge stations are also few and far between. The local Walgreens stores are just getting new stations installed and there are about 10 of them within range of my house. I think they are doing something like 800 stores across the US.

Take a look at the search page on SemaCharge web site for the Walgreens locations with charge stations. It allows search by zip code or city, state
http://www.semacharge.com/publicstations.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also be aware that sometimes plugshare shows things that do not exist, so keep a plan B in mind. Good luck on your adventure.

Do I have to be a SemaCharge member t looks at the locations? I keep trying to go on without joining, and it won't seem to let me. I wouldn't want to join if there were no stations near me, and I'm pretty sure that there are none at any of our Walgreens. Thanks, LauraA
Using an old XP computer, the site opens just fine for me. However, not so on the iPad - just sort of locks up. Too bad, because that is what I travel with - the iPad.

Bill

No I did not have to register to use the search page. I tried a couple of different computers and they both worked OK.

LauraA said:
KJD said:
LauraA said:
Now that I've been introduced to Plugshare, I've been wondering. Have any of you taken long trips using public or home chargers along the way? I know that it's not an ideal way to travel, but it could be a fun adventure. There are so few charging stations in this area (southern GA), but I saw several home ones listed on plugshare (I also listed my own!).

Laura,
Here in Utah the charge stations are also few and far between. The local Walgreens stores are just getting new stations installed and there are about 10 of them within range of my house. I think they are doing something like 800 stores across the US.

Take a look at the search page on SemaCharge web site for the Walgreens locations with charge stations. It allows search by zip code or city, state
http://www.semacharge.com/publicstations.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also be aware that sometimes plugshare shows things that do not exist, so keep a plan B in mind. Good luck on your adventure.

Do I have to be a SemaCharge member t looks at the locations? I keep trying to go on without joining, and it won't seem to let me. I wouldn't want to join if there were no stations near me, and I'm pretty sure that there are none at any of our Walgreens. Thanks, LauraA

LauraA said:
KJD said:
LauraA said:

Laura,

I ran a search on Savannah, and within 200 miles the closest SemaCharge is the one you found in Jacksonville, Fl. FWIW, I haven't seen it yet. I'll probably be by there this weekend but don't have a SemaCharge card so I don't think I can test it either. It's funny that you need a card to use their free station. And, the card requires a $20 deposit when the only charger within a 200 mile radius of me (and you!) is a free charger :D

If you make the drive down have fun. I'm curious about the plug share people. I've emailed one but never heard back from him.

DANandNAN said:
I ran a search on Savannah, and within 200 miles the closest SemaCharge is the one you found in Jacksonville, Fl. FWIW, I haven't seen it yet. I'll probably be by there this weekend but don't have a SemaCharge card so I don't think I can test it either. It's funny that you need a card to use their free station. And, the card requires a $20 deposit when the only charger within a 200 mile radius of me (and you!) is a free charger :D

Dan, I have never been to Jacksonville FL, but I can tell you that the 12 stations here in Utah do NOT require a card. I just plugged in and it worked.

Why don't you just try it next weekend without the card and let us know your results.

KJD

KJD said:
Dan, I have never been to Jacksonville FL, but I can tell you that the 12 stations here in Utah do NOT require a card. I just plugged in and it worked.

Why don't you just try it next weekend without the card and let us know your results.

KJD
Interesting, thanks KJD. I saw the card sign up and figured it was a requirement. We'll let you know what we find out. I'm hoping the infrastructure keeps building and building. Granted, we have a Volt so we don't need charging stations, but the less gas we all use the better. We've been fairly active in calling the malls & stores we frequent so hopefully that helps. I actually posted in the Florida thread here but it seems there aren't any Leaf owners up here that are forum members.

Anyway, we'll report back.

Dan and Nancy

Just wanted to update folks that the charger at the Town Center is free - for now. I guess it JUST went live.
http://www.news4jax.com/news/Charge-car-as-you-shop-at-St-Johns-Town-Center/-/475880/11777976/-/b31rpjz/-/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm excited that Jacksonville finally has a public charger. Ok, we have a chargepoint at the airport, but it's in a private parking garage so you have to pay to use it and I'm sure pay to get into the lot. The airport is also really far away from everything so I doubt it sees a lot of use. The other "public" chargers are all at Chevy & Nissan dealers and are behind gates that lock at night :(

Anyway, I'm glad Jax finally has one in a good location. I'd like to see more at the other malls we shop at, at the zoos and museums and the restaurants we visit. But, it's a start!

DANandNAN said:
Stopped by tonight and were the first customers to use it :D Works fine, and just like KJD said, no card needed. Hopefully this company installs more around Jax.

Glad to hear that the charge station worked well for you. Long term I am sure that they will start making you pay to use the stations, but that is OK with me as long as the fee is reasonable. For me reasonable = anything less than price of gasoline.

About 90 % of the time I can just charge up at home, but having a dozen Walgreens stores with EV charging stations gives me a lot more confidence to venture further away from home. It is nice to have a plan B to fall back on if you decide to detour away from your first route also. All of the Walgreens with Charge stations are stored in the Leafs GPS system now, so it is easy to find the one closest to where ever I might be at the time.

I hope that more retailers follow the Walgreens example.

KJD said:
DANandNAN said:
Stopped by tonight and were the first customers to use it :D Works fine, and just like KJD said, no card needed. Hopefully this company installs more around Jax.

Glad to hear that the charge station worked well for you. Long term I am sure that they will start making you pay to use the stations, but that is OK with me as long as the fee is reasonable. For me reasonable = anything less than price of gasoline.

About 90 % of the time I can just charge up at home, but having a dozen Walgreens stores with EV charging stations gives me a lot more confidence to venture further away from home. It is nice to have a plan B to fall back on if you decide to detour away from your first route also. All of the Walgreens with Charge stations are stored in the Leafs GPS system now, so it is easy to find the one closest to where ever I might be at the time.

I hope that more retailers follow the Walgreens example.
I'm pretty sure they'll either charge but that's kind of silly since it's the reason that we choose to go there versus somewhere closer. Maybe a way a validating at the local stores. A meter that charges based on kwh might be wise since anything over $1/hour and it's a waste with the Volt with gas @ $4 gallon.

I'm glad Walgreen's is taking the lead, but I think stores that shoppers stay at longer is a better decision.

Anyway, good luck with your trip Laura.

DANandNAN said:
I'm glad Walgreen's is taking the lead, but I think stores that shoppers stay at longer is a better decision.
Or Walgreen's needs a lunch counter like drug stores of yesteryear.

I have this fantasy that I'll make a trip from Philadelphia to see my family in Cincinnati in the LEAF. At L2 it would take 50 hours (or more) of charging to go that distance, so it would definitely be a multiday adventure. I assume the planned charging points would be a mixture of Nissan dealers, RV parks, overnight at motels, and ChargePoint/Blink/Semacharge. I haven't yet figured out the strategy I would use to plan sudh a trip, but I do think about it from time to time.

DANandNAN said:
I'm glad Walgreen's is taking the lead, but I think stores that shoppers stay at longer is a better decision

Talking to an evGo rep, he mentioned that working with Walgreens was perfect for their QC stations since studies show the typical Walgreens customer spends about 15-20 minutes in the store.

QC's at stores like Walgreens make huge sense.

tps, I like the lunch counter idea, that's old school ;)
Cheezmo said:
DANandNAN said:
I'm glad Walgreen's is taking the lead, but I think stores that shoppers stay at longer is a better decision

Talking to an evGo rep, he mentioned that working with Walgreens was perfect for their QC stations since studies show the typical Walgreens customer spends about 15-20 minutes in the store.

QC's at stores like Walgreens make huge sense.
I think makes sense is a relative term. It doesn't make sense for us, because there's a Walgreen's 2 minutes from our house. It doesn't make sense because they don't sell enough of the stuff I want to buy. They do sometimes, but it's not like a grocery store we visit 1-2/week or a warehouse store we visit 2/month. Knowing Walgreen's has chargers won't make me more likely to shop there over a grocery store. If I need something small when I'm out, sure. I'll stop in, but it's not going to be a $30 sale.

I LOVE that Walgreen's is going green, but it's just not a store I see us spending 15-20 minutes in (even on a monthly basis). Maybe that will change, I don't know. I just don't see it as being as good for business as Walgreen's does, but what do I know :) I do know that in the 3 days the charger has been installed at the Town Center Mall we've spent several hundred dollars. Though we won't be there spending that much every day, it seems like a better location than a store that you zip in and out of a few times a month spending $30. Maybe in 5-10 years when the number of EV's is higher it'll make more sense, at least to me.

Since you've spoken to a rep, what did he/she say about charging Walgreen's for the station and what about charging consumers? Are they going to monitor charger use and Walgreen's purchases to know if they're getting a ROI? Have they entered a non-compete to corner this market? How much does the average customer spend at Walgreen's? What other locations (stores, businesses, restaurants and attractions) have they targeted?

DANandNAN said:
I think makes sense is a relative term. It doesn't make sense for us, because there's a Walgreen's 2 minutes from our house.
So you don't go to that one. You go to the Walgreens that is 60 miles away near that town you have to go to once every 3 months.

Or, another scenario is this: you have a long day of driving/commuting. You get home with 2 bars left, but something came up and you want to go meet up with some friends across town in an hour. 2 bars won't cut it. 15-20 minute QC @ Walgreens will give you the additional range you need.

Both of these scenarios do assume a QC. I don't think either one is helped at all by L2 charging.

lpickup said:
Both of these scenarios do assume a QC. I don't think either one is helped at all by L2 charging.
Exactly. When you're talking about a DC QC I think it makes more sense for Walgreen's. Store & restaurants you're at for a few hours should go L2, which they seem to be doing.

Interesting audio: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/wheres-the-juice-an-electric-car-adventure-2012-05-01-7000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A diverse team of drivers has just finished a cross-country adventure in an electric car. And, as Men's Health magazine senior editor Eric Adams tells MarketWatch Radio's Adrienne Mitchell, the trip highlighted the need for more charging stations nationwide if electric cars are to be adopted more widely.

Seems to me that someone who did the planning for placement of the QC's should have looked at the route between Nashville and Chattanooga. We are going to the Bluegrass Festival there week after next. It's 60 miles from our crib to the mid-point along I24; a couple of L2's there. Another 68 miles to the hotel in downtown C-Town and that hotel has an L2 charger as do many places in Chattanooga.

For us the fact that we would have to spend 4 to 6 hours plugged into an L2 in Manchester or Mounteagle at mid-point is a show-stopper. Granted we could spend a lot more time in Mounteagle at the winery's but in this case we just want to go to Chattanooga, spend a couple days and come home.

So we are taking the Maserati Quadroporte at 16 mpg.

That's a situation where a QC at a natural mid-point in a major tourist route would be a smart thing.

Dave

CWO4Mann said:
Seems to me that someone who did the planning for placement of the QC's should have looked at the route between Nashville and Chattanooga.
Placement-wise, aren't the QC's at the Cracker Barrels in Murfreesboro and Manchester sufficient?

Now the fact that those QCs never work means you'll have to take your Maserati anyway, but placement-wise, I think Cracker Barrel had the right idea.

Back