Have you ever taken a fairly long trip in the Leaf for fun?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LauraA

Now that I've been introduced to Plugshare, I've been wondering. Have any of you taken long trips using public or home chargers along the way? I know that it's not an ideal way to travel, but it could be a fun adventure. There are so few charging stations in this area (southern GA), but I saw several home ones listed on plugshare (I also listed my own!). Then, I started thinking - what it, just for fun, I drove to Atlanta (250 miles) and stopped along the way every 50 miles? I guess that it would be a two day trip, with at least 4 charges. A couple of the stops would be at private chargers. It just might be nice to go that far with no gas, no oil!! Take care, LauraA

I must say I've never really travelled past the "halfway" point of my LEAF. I still don't trust the public infrastructure enough (what if the charging station is down or ICEd, etc.)

Actually I guess I could technically say that last weekend I did for the very first time take a trip that REQUIRED me to charge in order to make it back home (this was a second trip of a very long day). In this case I've used the charging stations before, there are 6 of them at this particular location which was located at a workspace on a Sunday night, so the chances of them being ICEd was as close to 0 as you can imagine, and I knew I'd be at this location for a few hours anyway. So the risk was actually pretty small, but for sure, if I hadn't been able to charge there I would NOT have been able to make it home. That's as exciting as it's been for me.

Only one trip where a public charge was required; that was a bit over a 140-mile day, round-trip.

Yesterday, my wife used the car starting at 80% (short commute) then during the day realized we needed to take a 50-mile trip after work. We had time to charge about 2 1/2 hours at L1 before we left. Could have completed the evening trip without further charging, but decided to have dinner at a restaurant adjacent to a charging location. With the extra charge we were able to stick to the highway at speed with no worries on the way home, which was nice.

In Tennessee we have several Cracker Barrels with L3 chargers. Two weeks ago I wanted to try it out. It was about 30 miles from home to the charger with 15 miles on the interstate. I had to call Blink to get me card completely activated. We charged up to 96% in about 20 minutes. It charged to 90% quickly and then started slow down above 95%. We jumped back on the interstate and headed for a mall south of Nashville before heading home. The entire trip was 120 miles.

With zero L3's available in Charlotte, I wish Cracker Barrel's here would put them in. I patronize them anyway, but even more so if they had L3 chargers here.

I've thought about trying to do a trip from Ft.Worth to Austin. But there aren't even enough L2 chargers along the way, some spots would have to be L1 and it is just not practical.

The most I've done in the last year has been two trips to the North Dallas area that required an hour or two on an L2 charger before returning home.

OK, I don't know what a Blink card is! Also, if the L3 is very rapid charger, then there are none of those anywhere near me. I'm in a good position to do a trip, because I have no real schedule if there was a problem. Still, my nephew in Atlanta also has a Leaf - maybe I should get him to try it first - Atlanta to me (south of Savannah) Take care, LauraA

While I haven't (deliberately) taken a trip past the "halfway point" of my range, I have taken trips that probably wouldn't have happened if it cost me gas $$. For example, I may not have gone to Earth Day here in Dallas (downtown) if it couldn't be done in my Leaf.

My wife and I did a total green weekend back in October in our LEAF. Drove from San Jose up to Yountville (Napa Valley) with a stop in Walnut Creek for lunch, shopping and a charge. The hotel had an L2 charging dock (as well as a 240V outlet for the Tesla folks). We went over the hill to Santa Rosa to see some solar energy installations, as well as toured some wineries. All food for the weekend was sourced from local producers. On the trip back home we stopped again in Walnut Creek for lunch and a charge. About 250 miles altogether. It pales in comparison to some friends that drove from Walnut Creek to Lake Tahoe, though.

gascant said:
My wife and I did a total green weekend back in October in our LEAF. Drove from San Jose up to Yountville (Napa Valley) with a stop in Walnut Creek for lunch, shopping and a charge. The hotel had an L2 charging dock (as well as a 240V outlet for the Tesla folks). We went over the hill to Santa Rosa to see some solar energy installations, as well as toured some wineries. All food for the weekend was sourced from local producers. On the trip back home we stopped again in Walnut Creek for lunch and a charge. About 250 miles altogether. It pales in comparison to some friends that drove from Walnut Creek to Lake Tahoe, though.

:eek: Walnut Creek to Lake Tahoe? That's crazy, and I live in Walnut Creek ;)

The longest trip I've taken was when Nissan came out to the Google campus. The drive was about 115 all highway miles and I charged at the Google facility. Charging stations were assured so I wasn't too worried.

EricBayArea said:
The longest trip I've taken was when Nissan came out to the Google campus. The drive was about 115 all highway miles and I charged at the Google facility. Charging stations were assured so I wasn't too worried.
I added it up--that day, there were over 5000 miles driven by LEAFs in support of the meeting. Might have been as high as 7500.

LauraA said:
Now that I've been introduced to Plugshare, I've been wondering. Have any of you taken long trips using public or home chargers along the way? I know that it's not an ideal way to travel, but it could be a fun adventure. There are so few charging stations in this area (southern GA), but I saw several home ones listed on plugshare (I also listed my own!).

Laura,
Here in Utah the charge stations are also few and far between. The local Walgreens stores are just getting new stations installed and there are about 10 of them within range of my house. I think they are doing something like 800 stores across the US.

Take a look at the search page on SemaCharge web site for the Walgreens locations with charge stations. It allows search by zip code or city, state
http://www.semacharge.com/publicstations.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also be aware that sometimes plugshare shows things that do not exist, so keep a plan B in mind. Good luck on your adventure.

Four or five hours is a lot of time to spend at a private residence charging the car. If you do this, make sure to call well in advance and make sure that your "hosts" are up for the extended visits.

I did Chattanooga, TN to Little Rock, AR (one way) in about 4 days. With side trips along the way it came out to well over 600 miles. Had the car on a charger most of the time I was not driving it (L1, L2). Luckily, there are several hotels along the route with L2 chargers. I shipped the car home to Utah from AR. I (very briefly) considered the possibility of driving it home, but with about 1,500 miles left to go I figured shipping was a better option.

KJD said:
LauraA said:
Now that I've been introduced to Plugshare, I've been wondering. Have any of you taken long trips using public or home chargers along the way? I know that it's not an ideal way to travel, but it could be a fun adventure. There are so few charging stations in this area (southern GA), but I saw several home ones listed on plugshare (I also listed my own!).

Laura,
Here in Utah the charge stations are also few and far between. The local Walgreens stores are just getting new stations installed and there are about 10 of them within range of my house. I think they are doing something like 800 stores across the US.

Take a look at the search page on SemaCharge web site for the Walgreens locations with charge stations. It allows search by zip code or city, state
http://www.semacharge.com/publicstations.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also be aware that sometimes plugshare shows things that do not exist, so keep a plan B in mind. Good luck on your adventure.

Do I have to be a SemaCharge member t looks at the locations? I keep trying to go on without joining, and it won't seem to let me. I wouldn't want to join if there were no stations near me, and I'm pretty sure that there are none at any of our Walgreens. Thanks, LauraA

Yes, EdmondLeaf, getting to Atlanta does seem a little complicated. Also, Davewill, I agree that it would probably not be good to be at someone's home, using their charger for hours and hours. Maybe I could try driving somewhere on highway 95. It actually looks like things would go better if I went south on 95. Maybe just charge once or twice and spend the night somewhere. I'll give it some thought, and take along a willing grandchild. Take care, LauraA

Back