Has anyone gotten a ticket yet?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adric22

Just curious if anyone has gotten a speeding ticket in a Leaf yet. What speed were you going? What did the officer have to say about you speeding in an electric vehicle?

adric22 said:
Just curious if anyone has gotten a speeding ticket in a Leaf yet. What speed were you going? What did the officer have to say about you speeding in an electric vehicle?

I was going down Washington Blvd. east at a good clip out of Culver City. Next to me (turns out) was an unmarked car, probably undercover officer in plain clothes, in a silver car. He got on the loud speaker and said "speed limit is 35". Oops! I quickly slowed down and gave me a thank you nod which he acknowledged. So....I guess I dodged one! I AM guilty for sure of zipping around. Very easy to do. :eek:

adric22 said:
+1 Especially on the FWY?

I, was, as they say, recently keeping up with the flow of traffic in the HOV lane--and was mentally preparing my defense--but luckily, was not to be...

Ironically, tonight I got a ticket at 9:58PM in Santa Monica for having no front plate--I can't find the mount--took it off when I got the car, so better find it.... They can't keep ICE vehicles out of the parking spaces, but I digress... About $40 bucks but drops to $10 with a CHP sign off...

No, not me, yet. I usually try to stay within the posted limits, but it is sooooooooo easy to let this thing go it's own way, it is probably just a tmatter of time.

Bill

JimSouCal said:
Ironically, tonight I got a ticket at 9:58PM in Santa Monica for having no front plate--I can't find the mount--took it off when I got the car, so better find it.... They can't keep ICE vehicles out of the parking spaces, but I digress... About $40 bucks but drops to $10 with a CHP sign off...

Jim, Sorry to hear that.

Were you parked and had the ticket or were you pulled over by an officer in a patrol car?

mxp said:
Were you parked and had the ticket or were you pulled over by an officer in a patrol car?
Parked. I was going to wait until I tinted the windows before mounting the plate, but on it goes for sign off... Trivial, but still, just another thing.

So NOBODY is fessing up to getting a speeding ticket yet? By the way, just exceed the posted limit by more than 5 MPH on PCH from Santa Monica to County Line, and your chances are pretty good to get LIDAR or RADAR clocked. Last time I was out there lots of enforcement activity, and you can tell the out of towners, because they speed.

JimSouCal said:
By the way, just exceed the posted limit by more than 5 MPH on PCH from Santa Monica to County Line, and your chances are pretty good to get LIDAR or RADAR clocked.

Here, you're mostly safe ten and under. All the photo radar is set for '11' over. With my old Honda GX, I used to only go nine (actual)/showed 10) over everywhere. Some drivers may not realize, but 20 over can be considered (depends on the officer making the stop) 'criminal' instead of 'civil' and there is no defensive driving school plus it will cost ya a lot more.

adric22 said:

Not yet, but Thursday I thought I had been nabbed.

Drove fast on the interstate for 5-6 miles. As I'm pulling onto a sate highway I see the blue flashing lights 1/2 mle behind. I think, he's probably gonna stay on the interstate.

The cop came off onto the state route.

So I pulled into the right lane to give him an easy way to pass.

He pulls over from the left lane into my lane and gets closer and closer.

I'm thinking, crap, here comes my first speeding ticket in the LEAF. Just as he gets behind me and I'm thinking of puling over he slides by on the emergency lane and takes the next ramp off the state highway.

He had bigger fish to fry.

Phew!!

ml194152 said:
My wife got a speeding ticket for going 26 MPH in her Leaf in a 20 MPH school zone :eek: .

That's 30% over the posted speed limit!!! The judge should lock her up and throw away the key!! :oops:

The tragedy of it is that the Cruise Control doesn't work at those low speeds. just when you need it the most!! :x

Hopefully she can do traffic school and just pay court costs.

ml194152 said:
My wife got a speeding ticket for going 26 MPH in her Leaf in a 20 MPH school zone :eek: .

Strange, I haven't seen cops stop for such small difference. Was it reduced from doing 30-35 mph?

It's so tempting and easy to speed with Leaf at low speeds, but I prefer to relax and enjoy the ride even if takes me a bit longer.

IBELEAF said:
ml194152 said:
Strange, I haven't seen cops stop for such small difference. Was it reduced from doing 30-35 mph?

Yeah, I forgot to mention that here, our elementary school zones are 15mph with high schools at 35, and they supposedly can give you a ticket for one over (zero tolerance), but I've heard that even if those radar units are calibrated, they have a +/-1mph so go 2 over and you will be ticketed. Here, the fines are doubled in school zones. Outside of school zones, +9 is safe.

I think the Leaf save me from a ticket..I blew a stop sign coming out of parking lot and as I was exiting I noticed a cop across the street watching me as I ran through it ..

I have the big stickers on the side of the car and maybe this cop had a heart for eco friendly cars or he had a Krispy Kreme jelly filled doughnut that he was pulling out of his holster :lol:

LEAFfan said:
Yeah, I forgot to mention that here, our elementary school zones are 15mph with high schools at 35, and they supposedly can give you a ticket for one over (zero tolerance), but I've heard that even if those radar units are calibrated, they have a +/-1mph so go 2 over and you will be ticketed. Here, the fines are doubled in school zones. Outside of school zones, +9 is safe.

Slightly off topic, I know.. but I have always thought school zones, especially for junior high and high schools are just pointless. In fact, I remember when I was in highschool I had to walk to school because I just lived a block down the road. The hardest part of my walk was crossing the street in front of the school because the school zone just created a traffic jam and there was no gap in the traffic to dart across. In my opinion, it made things more dangerous for me than if the cars were driving normal speeds.

Kataphn said:
adric22 said:

I was going down Washington Blvd. east at a good clip out of Culver City. Next to me (turns out) was an unmarked car, probably undercover officer in plain clothes, in a silver car. He got on the loud speaker and said "speed limit is 35". Oops! I quickly slowed down and gave me a thank you nod which he acknowledged. So....I guess I dodged one! I AM guilty for sure of zipping around. Very easy to do. :eek:

A little bit off topic, but no danger in getting a ticket in that situation. In California police have to be in uniform and driving a properly marked vehicle to issue traffic citations. That's why the CHP has the new all white cars with no logo's anywhere but on the side doors. Really hard to spot those.

In many places speeding in a school zone is a much more serious offense than speeding in general, the fines are significantly higher and 30% over the limit is not considered a "small difference".

IBELEAF said:
ml194152 said:

Strange, I haven't seen cops stop for such small difference.

adric22 said:
The hardest part of my walk was crossing the street in front of the school because the school zone just created a traffic jam and there was no gap in the traffic to dart across. In my opinion, it made things more dangerous for me than if the cars were driving normal speeds.

You didn't have crosswalks? Pedestrians always have the right-of-way in crosswalks when there is no light. Here, there are crosswalks at every school so that is no problem at all. I'm surprised you didn't have crosswalks.

LEAFfan said:
You didn't have crosswalks? Pedestrians always have the right-of-way in crosswalks when there is no light. Here, there are crosswalks at every school so that is no problem at all. I'm surprised you didn't have crosswalks.

Studies have shown that crosswalks give a false sense of security and cities are rethinking their placement and use.
http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Operations/Traffic/crosswalks.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.azdot.gov/highways/traffic/XWalk.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://ladot.lacity.org/tf_Pedestrian_Safety_at_Uncontrolled_Crosswalks.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Los Angeles Department of Transportation has found that pedestrian accidents are significantly reduced at unmarked crosswalks located at non-street intersections. Pedestrian safety can be improved at unmarked crosswalks because:
-Marked crosswalks give pedestrians a false sense of security
-Motorists disregard marked crosswalks where pedestrian volume is light

Back