Has $7,500 tax credit ended?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sp4rk

Sorry, don't read these forums much ...

Has the Leaf $7,500 tax "credit" ended.

My local dealer tells me it has but that would mean that they've made over 200,000 (is that right?)

As is unfortunately so often the case, your local dealer is wrong. The tax credit is still in effect.

sp4rk said:
Sorry, don't read these forums much ... Has the Leaf $7,500 tax "credit" ended. My local dealer tells me it has but that would mean that they've made over 200,000 (is that right?)

Weatherman said:
You have to wonder whether sales reps are really that stupid or whether they are trying to con unsuspecting customers out of their money.
This was the finance manager who'd sold me mine! And knew I was not there to buy a car but shoot the breeze.

sp4rk said:
Weatherman said:
You have to wonder whether sales reps are really that stupid or whether they are trying to con unsuspecting customers out of their money.
This was the finance manager who'd sold me mine! And knew I was not there to buy a car but shoot the breeze.
Could he have meant that you can no longer use it as a lease down payment?

Ok, had it explained ...

The Federal $7.5 is still very much in force.

What he was referring to is a Nissan "Rebate" that was applied to my lease.

That has been discontinued.

He went on to say that I could still apply for the separate Fed tax credit. I argues that seeing's how I didn't buy the car, I couldn't. He seemed to agree.

Seems like back then (May 2012), if you leased the car and thus couldn't get the 7.5, Nissan Leasing got it and "passed it on" to the customer?

But no longer. Does that make sense? :)

Yes, Nissan Leasing would get the $7500 fed credit it they bought the car and leased it to you.

I could see various interpretations for what they told you:

#1: Nissan Leasing has decided to keep the $7500 for themselves and not pass any of it on to the customer (unlikely)
or
#2: They no longer want to offer the $7500 up front, but rather pro-rate it into reduced payments over the expected life of the lease (more likley)
or
#3: For some reason they are no longer entitled to get the fed credit and so it is no longer available.

Perhaps they leased so many LEAFs that Nissan leasing's 2012 tax liability is already fully covered by credits now?
That would be true that they would no longer get value if they already had enough credits to cover their full tax liability.
It would shift the favor over to purchasing a LEAF instead of leasing it from them so that you could claim the credit yourself.

From my understanding, as far as the dealers could tell, it was just $7500 in "Lease Cash" available from NMAC. If you want to be very technical, then yes, Nissan no longer offers $7500 in "Lease Cash" on the LEAF. They offer considerably more than that now, and they are calling it a manufacturer's rebate.

The following is the fine print on the lease offer currently shown on the Nissan Leaf homepage. These details are for my home ZIP code on Long Island, NY:

nissanusa.com/leaf said:
Excludes taxes, title, and license. $1,999 initial payment required at consummation. (Includes $1,780 consumer down payment, $219 first month payment.) (INCLUDES $9,075 manufacturer's rebate applied to $219 MONTH lease. Offer valid only when financed through Nissan Motor Acceptance Corporation.) Subject to residency restriction. Varies by Nissan Region.

As per GreenCarReports, certain markets can get up to $9775 in the "manufacturer's rebate". For example, when I change my home ZIP code to 90210, it offers me that amount, with an advertised lease rate of $199/month.

I would assume most of this rebate is coming from Nissan claiming tax credits for the cars it is leasing to consumers. However, to the consumer, and to the dealer, it doesn't really matter how Nissan is getting this money, as long as they keep offering it!

TEG said:
Yes, Nissan Leasing would get the $7500 fed credit it they bought the car and leased it to you.

#1: Nissan Leasing has decided to keep the $7500 for themselves and not pass any of it on to the customer (unlikely)
or
#2: They no longer want to offer the $7500 up front, but rather pro-rate it into reduced payments over the expected life of the lease (more likley)
or
#3: For some reason they are no longer entitled to get the fed credit and so it is no longer available.

Perhaps they leased so many LEAFs that Nissan leasing's 2012 tax liability is already fully covered by credits now?
That would be true that they would no longer get value if they already had enough credits to cover their full tax liability.
It would shift the favor over to purchasing a LEAF instead of leasing it from them so that you could claim the credit yourself.

ok, now that we are done with this post, lets move onto the "why the LEAF is not selling well" thread...

DaveinOlyWA said:
TEG said:

or
or

ok, now that we are done with this post, lets move onto the "why the LEAF is not selling well" thread...
Pretty obvious. Nissan dropped the ball. Dealers not on same page.
Comparatively "ugly" car, ugly colors.
City car more then suburban.
But ... nothing wrong with it. I love mine.
And you have the oil people intent on blogging as much as they can with misinformation?
Hasn't this thread been covered already? :)

Back