GreenCar Reports - Faster Charging for the LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"He [Mark Perry] didn't specify a model year for the change, but did say the upgraded onboard charger might be offered as optional equipment, rather than as standard, due to the higher cost of more robust power electronics components."

It was report here on MNL that Mark had said the new charger was actually cheaper. Either that was wrong, or the marketing folks smacked him upside the head about the lost potential revenue! Either way, bring it on Nissan!

Duh Nissan, you were only told to do this over and over by many people early on in Japan. Ford should work the charger angle because NIssan was plain stupid not to see this coming even after they were told explicitly, they deserve all the heat and marketing damage. Same with SOC. Don't expect that to be an affordable upgrade, the L1 charger for the LEAF costs about $1700 retail, the could have done a 6.6 or 7.2 kw model for about $2100.

Obvious that Nissan needs a 6.6kW charger on the LEAF, to everyone but Nissan. No commitment, no price, no plan for 2011 owners equals no news.

Call me when they announce something substantive.

EVDRIVER said:
Don't expect that to be an affordable upgrade, the L1 charger for the LEAF costs about $1700 retail, the could have done a 6.6 or 7.2 kw model for about $2100.
I assume you meant the 3.3kw charger built-in costs about $1700? I saw in another thread where someone had looked up the L1 charger as being $650 retail...

GeekEV said:
EVDRIVER said:
Don't expect that to be an affordable upgrade, the L1 charger for the LEAF costs about $1700 retail, the could have done a 6.6 or 7.2 kw model for about $2100.
I assume you meant the 3.3kw charger built-in costs about $1700? I saw in another thread where someone had looked up the L1 charger as being $650 retail...

The charger was $650 or the L1 EVSE that is in the trunk was $650. I think you might be referring to the L1 EVSE.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1401&start=67

You just never know what you'll hear at conferences.

You might, for instance, hear Nissan America's director of product planning, Mark Perry, casually mention that the Nissan Leaf electric car now permits Level II 240-Volt charging at 3.3 kilowatts--"and we'll raise that in a year or so."

In other words, Nissan plans to offer a higher-rate onboard charger for the Leaf, which will significantly shorten the present recharging time of 8 hours for a fully discharged Leaf pack.

http://www.greencarreports.com/blog/1056343_breaking-nissan-leaf-to-get-faster-charger-in-a-year-or-so

He didn't specify a model year for the change, but did say the upgraded onboard charger might be offered as optional equipment, rather than as standard, due to the higher cost of more robust power electronics components.

What about buyers of 2011 Leaf models who would like to have a faster Level II charge? Perry said any new charger offering would definitely be designed so it could be retrofitted into existing vehicles: "We don't want to orphan our first-year buyers."

Heavens, people! How's it feel to be able to complain about an upgrade on a factory-produced ELECTRIC VEHICLE?!
:evil:

Back