Grabby Brakes?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RegGuheert said:
We still occasionally experience grabby brakes, but it is different than before the update. Before the update, the brakes would sometimes grab when traveling at about 10 MPH, which was very harsh and quite disturbing. Now they sometimes grab at about 2 MPH, which is much more tolerable. It also happens less frequently than before.

I've also noticed the car tends to stop regenning and switches to friction at higher speeds when slowing to a stop. Can you confirm this happened after your update as well?

I've seen no difference in that regard.

kubel said:
I've also noticed the car tends to stop regenning and switches to friction at higher speeds when slowing to a stop. Can you confirm this happened after your update as well?

TSB addresses this issue.

NTB12-086a Download Entry
2011-2012 NISSAN LEAF; BRAKE PEDAL SENSITIVE AT SPEEDS BELOW 15 MPH
• Customer may experience some brake sensitivity at speeds below 15 mph. The customer may experience this issue while in stop-and-go traffic conditions.
And
• No DTCs are present in the Electrically-driven Intelligent Brake Control Unit.

dsh said:

• Customer may experience some brake sensitivity at speeds below 15 mph. The customer may experience this issue while in stop-and-go traffic conditions.
And
• No DTCs are present in the Electrically-driven Intelligent Brake Control Unit.
Just to be clear, this means that the problem has been acknowledged, but not yet fixed with a software update?

I asked my dealer about the previous "brake firmware update" and they told me "you don't want it" because evidently others who had it applied evidently thought it made things worse instead of better.

This appears to be the same TSB that came out last year...

dsh said:

And

No, there was a TSB that came out for the brakes last year that was supposed to fix the low speed issue but some feel that it made the problem worse, some feel it was better, and some feel it made no difference.

lemketron said:
Just to be clear, this means that the problem has been acknowledged, but not yet fixed with a software update?

TomT said:
I've seen no difference in that regard.

kubel said:
Agreed. I still see regeneration all the way to full stop.

I will say I've been noticing the grabbiness at very low speeds more, lately. It's not a big deal compared to the initial problem, but it does take a some concentration to creep into the garage very slowly without creating a series of jerky stops.

My TSB fix was initially perfect. The grabby brakes now come back intermittently. Sometimes its perfect and sometimes its like I never had the fix applied.

GlennD said:
My TSB fix was initially perfect. The grabby brakes now come back intermittently. Sometimes its perfect and sometimes its like I never had the fix applied.

seems more like inconsistent transition from regen to friction braking. when this issue first arose, I spent 15 minutes on the street in front of my house trying to replicate it (reinforced my neighbor's suspicions that i was a bit "off" is all i accomplished) and found that not to be an easy thing to do.

it seems to only manifest itself in certain driving conditions like the low speed stop and go and although i see that almost daily, it just never happened that often to me. when I finally did get it to work (was not trying so naturally my reaction was probably a bit over the top) it was totally unexpected and I think that simply magnifies the issue when one is simply not ready for it.

i chose not to get the fix because i apparently dont see the type of driving that encourages this behavior. if it becomes a problem, I might have it done but right now, i feel it a waste of my time to take the time to get it done.

I agree with the three previous posts.
Early on, I didn't notice the grabby brakes very much.
Had begun to notice it after about a year of vehicle use, ~8000 miles, and I had the TSB software change done, and initially thought it might be a bit better, although really hard to discern with the grabby brakes being only an occasional thing.
But after about 6 months of TSB software change use, I think the grabby brakes are getting worse.
But as Dave says, they are somewhat infrequent.
But really annoying when it happens because it makes the LEAF driver look like an idiot that doesn't know how to brake properly.
It is my speculation that Nissan has software that is occasionally conflicting.
Most of the time, the software demanding creep seems to be smart enough to get out of the way and let the driver properly brake the vehicle.
But occasionally, the moment you slightly release braking force, the creep software kicks in, causing the driver to then have to rapidly reapply the brakes, and get into a stupidly frustrating jerky braking operation.
If Nissan would just get rid of the dangerous built in creep the car would be a lot better.
Creep may be what the software engineer intended.
But it results in unintended movement of the vehicle that the driver did not intend.
Which is dangerous.
I have yet to write the letter to NTSB, but I am frustrated by Nissan's lack of corrective action on this significant problem.

I drive with one foot, and my car still has the first original software,
no updates to anything.

When trying to brake very gently, when moving at very slow speeds,
I often get the grabby brakes... no accelerator, just very gentle,
very gradual braking.

Hello,
I have to work at making my brakes grabby but it's usually gone after the surface rust is worn off the rotors.

I'm sorry but "dangerous" and "unintended movement" just don't apply. If you take your foot off the brake on ANY car (except manual trans) it is going to move as the driver intends. It's like complaining that taking your foot off the clutch creates a dangerous unintended lurch. DUH.

Don

Back