Grabby Brakes?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
robinsone1706 said:
I should also mention that I had the Nissan Technical Bulletin performed on my Leaf with zero success. I am still experiencing the same braking condition...maybe even worse now.
It completely cleared up the problem for us. Makes me wonder if it was done correctly on your car.

It would seem that a trip to a knowledgeable dealer might
be a good idea to consider, giving them advance warning
and description of the symptoms, of course.

So, write up a page to fax to the service department, with
a clear history of your car's symptoms, then call some dealers,
talk to the service department, and try to determine if
they have the skills, and willingness, to investigate the
situation.

When you take the car in, be sure to demonstrate the
"condition" to them, and have them drive and reproduce
the same symptoms, twice or thrice. You do not want
the car to spend several days there, only to get the
response, "we couldn't reproduce the symptoms".

robinsone1706 said:
It appears that everyone started having these issues around the same time. It appears to not matter how long you've owned the Leaf or how many miles you've put on it. What does this tell me? They beamed down a software update for the smart brake controller via CarWings to increase the regen efficiency in an attempt to extend the range of the Leaf.
I don't believe either the first or last sentence in your paragraph. Some people have been complaining about grabby brakes from back in 2011, probably the first half of 2011. There is zero evidence that any software update has ever been downloaded via Carwings. I know I have an occasional grabby brake problem (low speed only), and I never allow the car to communicate with Carwings.

Ray

planet4ever said:
robinsone1706 said:
It appears that everyone started having these issues around the same time. It appears to not matter how long you've owned the Leaf or how many miles you've put on it. What does this tell me? They beamed down a software update for the smart brake controller via CarWings to increase the regen efficiency in an attempt to extend the range of the Leaf.
I don't believe either the first or last sentence in your paragraph. Some people have been complaining about grabby brakes from back in 2011, probably the first half of 2011. There is zero evidence that any software update has ever been downloaded via Carwings. I know I have an occasional grabby brake problem (low speed only), and I never allow the car to communicate with Carwings.

Ray
I agree, there is no ability for Carwings to change LEAF software.
I personally think the grabby brakes issue got a bit worse with time, but it had nothing to do with any software change.
I think the software change Nissan implemented may have slightly improved the grabby brakes, but as I stated, the change is modest.
They need to radically change the software and radically reduce if not completely eliminate the excessive built in creep.
It is unnecessary, and borders on downright dangerous.
I haven't yet contacted NTSB, but if Nissan doesn't get their act together and fix this, I will eventually contact and complain to NTSB.
Nissan can and should be better than this.

TimLee said:
They need to radically change the software and radically reduce if not completely eliminate the excessive built in creep. It is unnecessary, and borders on downright dangerous.
Creep is dangerous? I don't care for the creep, but how is it dangerous?

Every automatic transmission ICE car I have ever driven has creep. As does the Tesla, but you can turn creep off if you wish.

I like creep. Especially in low visibility parking lot situations, for example when backing out of a spot with SUVs next to me or at night. Rather than needing to press the accelerator and paying attention to it (the amount of power) I use creep ONLY and instead place my right foot above (barely touching) the brake pedal in case it is needed. I find this to be a SAFE(R) method of slow maneuvering. :)

I don't like grabby brakes, however. :x

perfect proof that there is no perfect solution

creep was added primarily for the reasons given. its great for very low speed maneuvering and partially to keep "legacy car baggage familiarity" it is simply what we are used to.

My grabby brakes are random. Problem cleared up immediately after applying the update, then came back. Since they started salting the roads, my brakes haven't grabbed yet. Or maybe it's just because I got so used to them grabbing that it doesn't bother me anymore.

We still occasionally experience grabby brakes, but it is different than before the update. Before the update, the brakes would sometimes grab when traveling at about 10 MPH, which was very harsh and quite disturbing. Now they sometimes grab at about 2 MPH, which is much more tolerable. It also happens less frequently than before.

I concur. It definitely still happens on occasion but it is not as frequent, not at as high a speed, and generally not as severe.

RegGuheert said:
We still occasionally experience grabby brakes, but it is different than before the update. Before the update, the brakes would sometimes grab when traveling at about 10 MPH, which was very harsh and quite disturbing. Now they sometimes grab at about 2 MPH, which is much more tolerable. It also happens less frequently than before.

Creep also pre-loads the drive train which smoothes initial movement and reduces shock loading. I don't mind it, seems completely natural to me.

I have also noticed the grabby brake syndrome returning since having the update done. Not as bad mind you but noticeable.
It's more noticeable when first starting out so it may be exacerbated by surface rust on the rotors causing more friction.

I also had the carwings update done at the same time and now it takes LESS kW to recharge than carwings reports as used. So they juggled the calculation but did not improve it's accuracy.
:roll:

ebill3 said:
TimLee said:
They need to radically change the software and radically reduce if not completely eliminate the excessive built in creep. It is unnecessary, and borders on downright dangerous.
Creep is dangerous? I don't care for the creep, but how is it dangerous?

Every automatic transmission ICE car I have ever driven has creep. As does the Tesla, but you can turn creep off if you wish.
All ICE cars may have a small amount of creep.
But my experience between a 2009 Altima SL and a 2011 LEAF, is that on level ground the 2009 Altima might occasionally just barely move slowly forward. More typically, it will not move forward at all. But the 2011 LEAF moves forward at an extremely fast speed. That rapid unintended acceleration is dangerous.
If Tesla can give you the option to turn it off, then Nissan should do the same.
Or at least give you the option to substantially reduce the magnitude of the creep.

It's back for me too. Agree with the above posters. <2 mph and it grabs... seems like it came back with the cold weather (I think Geek EV mentioned this). Argh.

Also if you want a car with a lot of creep, seems like my mom's Acura TSX goes like 10 mph with the engine cold!

I have generally been pleased with the improvement after the firmware upgrade.

Definitely better after the upgrade but yes, it still sometimes grabs at lower speeds. I've noticed it when the temperature is lower but that might just be coincidence. After the upgrade it's much less of a problem.

TimLee said:
That rapid unintended acceleration is dangerous.

Creep does not qualify as "unintended acceleration" it is intentional and there for a specific purpose. Let's not start throwing terms around that don't apply.

I've had "unintended acceleration" in my LEAF before. A couple of times actually. It was under slowing with the cruise control was engaged, and the car tried to (presumably) surge back to the speed the cruise control was originally set to. I have a feeling the system gets confused when one decelerates by rapidly and repeatedly using the coast/set button instead of the brakes. So my sage advice...don't do that! ;)

Back