grabby brake issue - TSBs, workarounds, suggestions

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RegGuheert said:
No firmware Nissan has provided, including P3227, has solved the grabby brakes issue on our 2011. Lately they have been worst than ever. It was getting pretty difficult to drive. I tried the "press the brake pedal as hard as you can" trick recently and that helped a bit.

Thanks. I had pushed my dealer about this issue in Feb. I almost let them do the P3227 as they were claiming it fixed braking issues (also fun being on the receiving end of a game of 'telephone' at the dealer while trying to make technical decisions).

I'll have to start documenting the conditions of the issue so I can complain more effectively to Nissan...

essaunders said:
I almost let them do the P3227 as they were claiming it fixed braking issues (also fun being on the receiving end of a game of 'telephone' at the dealer while trying to make technical decisions).
Sometimes I think dealers will say anything. P3227 was not a fix for grabby brakes. Rather it was a change in the BMS software designed to improved the accuracy of the capacity metering and extend the life of the traction battery. The fix my dealer applied for my grabby brakes was NTB-12-086, which applied only to the MY2011 LEAFs. There is a similar NTB which applies to pre-June 6, 2012 MY2012 LEAFs.

My car is at the dealership now getting a service. My mom told me last week there's a recall on Nissan Leaf brakes and when I asked today they said not my year (2012) and my brakes are grabby too. What should I tell them ?? Should I call them now and see if there's an upgrade to my soft/firmware ?? Thanks for the info.

S

The recall that was recently announced deals with a cold weather brake issue. Don't remember which model year it starts with but definitely not for the '11's or 12's.

Sondy132001 said:
My car is at the dealership now getting a service. My mom told me last week there's a recall on Nissan Leaf brakes and when I asked today they said not my year (2012) and my brakes are grabby too. What should I tell them ?? Should I call them now and see if there's an upgrade to my soft/firmware ?? Thanks for the info.

S

Sondy132001 said:

S
The 2011 had a software change put out in summer 2011 addressing grabby brakes, may have helped some but did not fix the problem.

My recollection was 2012 had a separate software change addressing grabby brakes.
Was some confusion though as it had some typos in it anout which vehicles it applied to.
I don't have the MNL thread link with details.

The recall definitely applies to the '13 Leaf, and I think it also applies to the '14 and '15 MYs. The issue is with the brake booster freezing, literally and figuratively, and the fix is apparently to have the control unit cycle the booster regularly in frigid weather. I'll be getting that done in May, at my last annual service trip for this car.

LeftieBiker said:
The recall definitely applies to the '13 Leaf, and I think it also applies to the '14 and '15 MYs. The issue is with the brake booster freezing, literally and figuratively, and the fix is apparently to have the control unit cycle the booster regularly in frigid weather. I'll be getting that done in May, at my last annual service trip for this car.

The Basics: Nissan is recalling 46,859 examples of the 2013-15 Leaf EV manufactured between November 19, 2012, and July 31, 2015.
Became a recall in mid March.

My 2012 has gotten worse each year mainly in cold weather. I had not seen the post so I have not tried the hold brake trick. But I just put new rotors on and new brake fluid. Pads were still at 70% so I left them on. 54000 mile on the car.
Stops smooth as soft ice cream. figure that one out....

my car does not have any update. has never been to the dealer since new

Back