Got iced by a Volt at the Nissan Dealership

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supra410

Well, not really. I was pleasantly suprised to see a Volt leaching juice at my local nissan Ds. Luckily they had 2 evse spots. The volt had one and a versa had the other. I squeezed up next to the Versa in a non spot and stretched the cord. I was encouraged to see The dealership not having an issue letting a volt dock. Would be great if Chevy dealerships would throw a couple lvl 2s out there..

supra410 said:
Well, not really. I was pleasantly suprised to see a Volt leaching juice at my local nissan Ds. Luckily they had 2 evse spots. The volt had one and a versa had the other. I squeezed up next to the Versa in a non spot and stretched the cord. I was encouraged to see The dealership not having an issue letting a volt dock. Would be great if Chevy dealerships would throw a couple lvl 2s out there..

Chevy Dealer's don't have 'public' EVSEs?

That is not a great way to instill confidence in your new car purchasers.

dm33 said:
caross said:

It indicates the level of commitment GM has for EVs.

Completely agree.

And people wonder why certain car companies to better than others... well, some try, some don't.

It would be safe to assume my local Chevy dealerships have no evse available, as the self proclaimed highest volume Chevy dealer sits next door to the Nissan Ds.

I'm waiting for Nissan to add the ICE car option for me to use when I need to drive 200 miles. Drop off my EV at the dealer and pick up an ICE for the day.

BMW is going to do that with the new i3

caross said:
And people wonder why certain car companies to better than others... well, some try, some don't.

My dealer has 4 EVSE's right behind the service intake area, and 4 more on the opposite side of the building. They always charge my Volt when I've had it in, and it's not on one of the ones I can see, they have several in the shop for that. (I use my Android to check the charge status.)

None of the EVSE's are available after hours, but they will even move their cars when they are done charging if you just drop in and ask for a charge. They did that the first time I went there to schedule service at least, but back then they only had two EVSEs behind the service tunnel, where there are now 4. Seven of them were charging Volts, and one had a Spark. (I did take one out for a test drive!) The first two EVSE's are ChargePoint, all the rest are the Voltec with the coil cord. (I hate that cord, seeing how beat up the cord looks after a year of constant use confirms my decision to get a Nissan (AV) EVSE from a forum member here.)

I went to a Chevy dealership and leetched about 10 minutes. The problem I had was that it didn't charge up 30A. It was charging at like 10-20A, took forever!!

dm33 said:
caross said:

Its hard for me to agree with that line of thinking. Thus far the only volume product they've sold is the Volt. And I think it is safe to say Volt drivers aren't likely to stop by a dealership and charge for an hour or two. Nissan, on the other hand, really needed to make sure the dealerships had public stations to help sell the car. So I can't equate their lack of public charging stations to being a lack of commitment for EVs up to this point. Now as the Spark EV is on the market, things might change. But since it is sold in such a limited area, who knows.

caross said:
supra410 said:

Ford produces their plugins in Wayne, MI. Not only is their no charging station in the entire city, but you have to drive to Saline, MI to find the nearest Ford dealer with a public charging station, and they add insult to injury by powering it off after business hours.

You can tell the manufacturers that are truly investing in the technology compared to those who are only making compliance cars so they can sell more trucks.

adric22 said:
dm33 said:
caross said:

Its hard for me to agree with that line of thinking. Thus far the only volume product they've sold is the Volt. And I think it is safe to say Volt drivers aren't likely to stop by a dealership and charge for an hour or two. Nissan, on the other hand, really needed to make sure the dealerships had public stations to help sell the car. So I can't equate their lack of public charging stations to being a lack of commitment for EVs up to this point. Now as the Spark EV is on the market, things might change. But since it is sold in such a limited area, who knows.

Clearly you are not the person to argue with... Leaf and Volt... You bought a full glass of EV-KoolAid like the rest of us here. *Internet High-Five*

This is how I think of it... the car manufacturers of the world don't need to convince people like you or me - or any of the Early Adopters or Tree-Huggers. (I'm not an early adopter - I just could not make the step without proven tech, but I do consider myself a 'hugger)

The people they need to convince are people like my Dad (75) will drive a gas guzzler till the day he dies. Not only does he find joy in the "muscle car" mystique of his childhood dreams, but he also likes to know that he can get out of his car, open the hood, turn a few screws, bolts or spray a bit starter fluid and all is well no matter what.

His view is that until he can "run out of power" and get a lift to a recharge on the corner, the cars "are not ready for prime time". And, in truth, I suppose he is a little right. The main problem with EVs is "EV Anxiety" - what happens if I run out of power. You can't just get a lift to the local station and borrow a gas can with $3 of fuel and fix everything like you can with an ICE. You are committed to, at a minimum, 30 minutes of charge once a EVSE is located.

If there was one at every Starbucks, Acme, Movie Theater, Car Dealer, Police Station, Library, etc... then this becomes a much smaller problem. As it is now, you are hopefully less than 10mi away, but (and I've been looking at the EVSE maps) often times it could be 25, ot 50 away.

I just think that it is Chevy (and any other EV manufacturer's duty) to provide EVSE infrastructure for the greater good. "They" said nobody wants to buy these EV things... people do, and are. "They" said it is a chicken-and-egg problem. It is, but I bought a Chicken and and Egg... so there.

I dunno, I just think that a serious EV car company needs to invest AT A MINIMUM in EVSEs at their dealers.

I happen to think Tesla is doing a dis-service by making their technology Tesla only. But that is a whole different thread.

cossie1600 said:
I went to a Chevy dealership and leetched about 10 minutes. The problem I had was that it didn't charge up 30A. It was charging at like 10-20A, took forever!!
It was free, wasn't it?

Volts (and Sparks) charge at 16A max, so you'll have to go elsewhere if you need anything faster.

A couple of the original ChargePoint stations at my dealer look like they could be 30A capable, but I have no way of testing that...

Back