Good Road Trip Car

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkulak

We are a one-car household and currently have a Leaf, but we are thinking about getting a second car just for road trips. Probably something large, like a minivan, because, might as well, and we're a family of four. Cool highway features (like adaptive cruise control!) would be nice, but I'd also like to keep the price (used) under 25k or so. We'll probably end up with a 2010 Odyssey, but I thought I'd ask around a bit first in case I'm missing some cool options.

You can rent a bunch of different minivans and try them all out. I would wait for the Mistubushi Outlander PHEV. It will have the best of both worlds. Dodge is supposedly coming out with PHEV SUVs or minivans in the next couple of years.

A Subaru Forester is a little smaller than that but will last you until the end of time if maintained properly. Also versatile with AWD and very safe. Everyone I know who has one swears by it. It's one of the few ICE cars I'd look at if no EVs were available.

Also - have you thought about a C-Max or Prius V? Another car I'd look at would be an used Land Rover LR3, which can seat up to 7 and are very comfortable and reasonably capable for road trips. The Ford Transit Connect Wagon may be worth a look as well as the fuel economy is fairly good for a van, they've got a nice (although industrial) design, and you could get a brand new one within your budget.

If Nissan sold the Serena in the states I'd definitely recommend it. I drove one for a week in Japan and it was fantastic. Comfortable for five of us plus cargo on long hauls yet superbly easy to park and navigate the tiniest of roads. Also had excellent fuel economy (I calculated about 33mpg average) and an incredibly versatile seating setup. The Quest is as close as you can get, but it's based on the larger JDM Nissan Elgrand.

Used Ford (Taurus) Interceptor, Crown Victoria P71, or Chevy Tahoe PPV. Minimal investment up front ($5K), they are usually very well maintained, but you have to live with the opposite of luxury. The market is generally saturated with them now that taxi companies are moving to new hybrids and minivans.

They make good transportation, don't take much to insure, and they don't depreciate much. Also, traffic parts like the Red Sea when they see you in their rear view mirror. Excellent car for a road trip. You get used to the smell of stale vomit and urine rather quickly (I always joked about that but mine was never bad).

The Crown Victoria was the smartest gas car purchases I've ever made. I was really happy with that car. I would get another used cop car if I was in the market for one.

We used to have an odyssey and have to say that type of vehicle packs about as much versatility and comfort as you can get, and gets decent mileage on the highway. Now I rent one when I need one, a long weekend is a little over $200.

kubel said:
Used Ford (Taurus) Interceptor, Crown Victoria P71, or Chevy Tahoe PPV. Minimal investment up front ($5K), they are usually very well maintained, but you have to live with the opposite of luxury. The market is generally saturated with them now that taxi companies are moving to new hybrids and minivans.
Not a bad idea! Additionally, a lot of these cars are available with CNG bi-fuel systems or can be cheaply retrofitted to have one at the expense of cargo space.

pkulak said:
We are a one-car household and currently have a Leaf, but we are thinking about getting a second car just for road trips. Probably something large, like a minivan, because, might as well, and we're a family of four. Cool highway features (like adaptive cruise control!) would be nice, but I'd also like to keep the price (used) under 25k or so. We'll probably end up with a 2010 Odyssey, but I thought I'd ask around a bit first in case I'm missing some cool options.
why would you buy a used car when there are many new ones that can both fit your family in comfort and fit your budget? Look at hyndai or kia or VWs .
YMMV

kubel said:

They make good transportation, don't take much to insure, and they don't depreciate much. Also, traffic parts like the Red Sea when they see you in their rear view mirror. Excellent car for a road trip. You get used to the smell of stale vomit and urine rather quickly (I always joked about that but mine was never bad).

The Crown Victoria was the smartest gas car purchases I've ever made. I was really happy with that car. I would get another used cop car if I was in the market for one.

No joke. I was running a former cop car for a while. The car is nice and wide to the point that 3 in the back seat is rather doable for 6 - 8 hour trips even.

Right now I am looking at well maintained 1996 Buick Roadmaster wagons for my "other" car.

apvbguy said:
drees said:
How often do you take road trips?

$25k will buy a lot of rental time...
this is the best answer

Even if someone gave you a car for free, the maintanance and insurance costs could easily pay for 2 possibly 3 seven day rentals of a minivan-SUV sized vehicle per year.

Since the original poster has only one car, the insurance cost to add a second car could be minimal. A second car could qualify both the LEAF and the second car for multi-car discounts. A second car gives you more flexibility for day-to-day use when necessary. I suggest that you select a vehicle the family likes if the budget allows. If you settle for something that has utility but nobody likes, you will regret it.
Minivans and SUVs which are classified as light trucks may also be cheaper to insure than passenger cars.

Gerry

GerryAZ said:
Since the original poster has only one car, the insurance cost to add a second car could be minimal.
Minivans and SUVs which are classified as light trucks may also be cheaper to insure than passenger cars.

Gerry
where did you come up with this?
I currently own and insure 5 cars, and that is the basis of my insights.
first off my Lexus SUV is not any cheaper to insure than any other car.
secondly all my cars cost about the same to insure, excepting my Tesla which because of it's higher value/high costs to repair is far more expensive than the others.
being rated for insurance involves many variables, such as who is driving the car, where you live and even your credit scores, your blanket statement may be true for you but it surely is not true in most situations.

If all the OP needs is a road trip car (2 people would not need to go different places work/commute, etc. at the same time) then I would also opt for just renting … we have 4 cars among 3 drivers and although we could probably go down to 3 cars; like having that 4th car as our trip car, we're also in the midwest so the 4th car is also the heavy snow, nasty weather car as well (AWD, SUV seats 5) which served us well during our particularly bad winter. I also love the higher seat height of an SUV so you can anticipate slowed traffic, etc. on long road trips; around town a sedan is fine but road trips its great to even have a slight advantage to avoid accidents, etc. The most expensive cost associated with just about any car is depreciation so getting something a few years old should save you plenty … if you go for new and keep it a loooong time depreciation isn't much of a factor other than when you look back at the 'total' cost to own it … having that 2nd car is always a nice convenience as well but it will cost you; you just have to see how much you'll really 'need' it.

Just a side note, I can rent a minivan from hertz for ~$350/wk but they want $1400 for a Tahoe. Considering the Tahoe burns twice as much fuel, third row seat is not usable for adults, handling is worse and safety is lower due to rollover risk I don't see the value there.

Our minivan was the cheapest car in the fleet to insure, I think because of what minivans say about the people who drive them. When it comes to insurance you're known by the company you keep.

drees said:
How often do you take road trips?

$25k will buy a lot of rental time...

But after you spend $25K on a car you own a car. :D

Still though, this buying a car thing is looking like more of a pain in the ass than it will be worth. If I really can score a minivan somewhere for $350 for a week, I'd rather do that every couple months.

I rent a minivan 3-4 times a year. the average cost for a Weeks rental is $350. the key is to reserve it early. $50 a month for insurance and 4 oil changes easily covers the cost of 2 rentals. There are two other reasons to rent. one is the wear and tear on your own vehicle, and the second is breaking down. if you break down in your own vehicle the trip is over. if it is a rental they bring you another vehicle and you are on your way.

Back