GoE3, how does this make any sense?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know the percentage to which you can charge a Leaf at Picacho Peak? Blink claims that its fast chargers can give 90% because the Leaf is designed not to allow a 100% charge with a fast charger. GoE3 uses a different brand, can it also give 90%?

Desertstraw said:
Does anyone know the percentage to which you can charge a Leaf at Picacho Peak? Blink claims that its fast chargers can give 90% because the Leaf is designed not to allow a 100% charge with a fast charger. GoE3 uses a different brand, can it also give 90%?

In the Tucson EV google group, we've been discussing that apparently the quick charger at Picacho Peak is down for repairs. I'm not sure if it's been repaired yet. Once it is up and repaired, I don't know what the % number is or will be, but this is the first I've heard of anything other than 80%. If Nissan's fast charger limits Leaf quick-charging to 90%, it would be a pity if this feature couldn't be deployed to all quick chargers and not just Nissan's. Leaf drivers charging at Picacho Peak, particularly those headed to Phoenix, could make a lot of use of that extra %, or may have to do level II after hitting the 80% stopping point? I have too little experience in this area. If one quick-charges a Leaf to 80% and knows that one needs more, is it ok then to "top up" using Level II? It's what I would do, or think about doing, if I were at Picacho Peak and headed North.

jlsoaz said:
Desertstraw said:

In the Tucson EV google group, we've been discussing that apparently the quick charger at Picacho Peak is down for repairs. I'm not sure if it's been repaired yet. Once it is up and repaired, I don't know what the % number is or will be, but this is the first I've heard of anything other than 80%. If Nissan's fast charger limits Leaf quick-charging to 90%, it would be a pity if this feature couldn't be deployed to all quick chargers and not just Nissan's. Leaf drivers charging at Picacho Peak, particularly those headed to Phoenix, could make a lot of use of that extra %, or may have to do level II after hitting the 80% stopping point? I have too little experience in this area. If one quick-charges a Leaf to 80% and knows that one needs more, is it ok then to "top up" using Level II? It's what I would do, or think about doing, if I were at Picacho Peak and headed North.

Once you reach Picacho Peak going north is not a problem. There is a functioning quick charger at Casa Grande and from there you can go to the quick charger at Sears, near the intersection of 101 and 202.

Desertstraw said:
jlsoaz said:

Once you reach Picacho Peak going north is not a problem. There is a functioning quick charger at Casa Grande and from there you can go to the quick charger at Sears, near the intersection of 101 and 202.

Thanks, isn't there a principle involved of not doing too many (more than one?) quick charges in a day? Has Nissan changed the directive on that, or have I misunderstood it?

jlsoaz said:
Desertstraw said:
jlsoaz said:

Thanks, isn't there a principle involved of not doing too many (more than one?) quick charges in a day? Has Nissan changed the directive on that, or have I misunderstood it?
As I remember it, this was discussed extensively more than a year ago and it is not a problem. Someone else may be a better person to ask. There are probably commuters who use them several times every day. Here in Arizona, heat deteriorates the battery more than anything else. In any event, since I have a lease I want to get as much use out of the car as I can.

Blink people are incorrect. Blink QCs will stop at 80% ('11/'12s only) IF you are below 50% on the Blink screen. If you are at 50% or above, it will go close to 100%/12 bars if you choose '100%' on their screen. However, on the '13, it doesn't matter where the % is on their screen, it will stop wherever you set it, including 100%/12 bars. The Blink screen %, on the '13, reads exactly the same % as on the dash.
I have charged with the Picacho Peak QC (grand opening) and it will take you to 100% if you choose (2011). The installers told me they were going to use credit cards and it would be $5 for a charge, no matter how full. AFAIK, it's still free. I don't know with the 2013 yet how it will charge.

Desertstraw said:

Typical misinformation.

The LEAF will charge just fine to 100% on DC power, just not with a poorly designed Blink.

Ordinarily, if the battery is below 50%, it will only charge to 80%. Above a start of 50%, and it will charge to 100%.

I have just spoken with GoE3. The Picacho Peak charger is working. I was also told that in May, they will install four more chargers, Bookman's in Tucson, The Thing east of Benson on I-10, Mesa, and Flagstaff. He also said that their chargers can do 100%.

Desertstraw said:
I have just spoken with GoE3. The Picacho Peak charger is working. I was also told that in May, they will install four more chargers, Bookman's in Tucson, The Thing east of Benson on I-10, Mesa, and Flagstaff. He also said that their chargers can do 100%.

The new chargers are great news. The Bookman's one could in some small way change my life. I believe this refers to the Bookman's sporting goods place going in on Speedway? I'm going partly by a post made by Bookman's owner on the google group, but of course could be wrong. On 100% charge, I could make it there from my house (if I am careful to drive slowly) in about 1.5 to 2 hours, and then could replenish and go anywhere in the Tucson area.

I haven't really been to Benson, but as I look at a map, this also would be a step toward improving EV viability for folks in Cochise county, and to a small extent here in Santa Cruz County.

I am concerned because the Picacho Peak charger continues to not show up on the Chargepoint.com many months after it was installed. Yes, we know by word of mouth both the Level II and Quick-Charge EVSE work, but I think it's regrettable that GoE3 did all that work to set up their first public Quick-Charger (that I'm aware of) and then hasn't got it on the map (literally). Also, when I spoke to them a couple of weeks ago, the indicated the fact that it hasn't shown up on the map is related to its technical issues. Yes, from comments of those who have been there, it seems to be working, but I think there have been some issues? It's hard for me to know what this means. So: I took that to mean that when I see the Picacho peak charger show up on the map, then this is tied-in with indicating that any possible issues are more likely resolved.

TonyWilliams said:
Desertstraw said:

Typical misinformation.

The LEAF will charge just fine to 100% on DC power, just not with a poorly designed Blink.

Ordinarily, if the battery is below 50%, it will only charge to 80%. Above a start of 50%, and it will charge to 100%.

That's only for the '11/'12s. The 2013 will charge all the way (Blink QC) if you select '100%' even if you start below 50%.

Desertstraw said:
It turned out that the Picacho Peak fast charger was not working. Since I do not know how to cross reference, here is my post from the Phoenix thread:

Yesterday(April 16, 2013) I made the round trip between Phoenix and Tucson. Picacho Peak was a nightmare. The fast charger was not working and it was impossible to read the screen to get information because it faced the bright Arizona sun. Nobody who works there has anything to do with the chargers and they do not even have a telephone number to call for help. The unit has a chargepoint telephone number but when I called them they denied having any record of it. Eventually I got GoE3's telephone number after numerous false leads. Initially I got someone who told me that technicians were working on the problem and that he expected it to be fixed soon. Calling for updates subsequently got me nothing but voice mail. It was not repaired by four in the afternoon during my return trip.

Blink fast chargers at Casa Grande and Sears in Chandler worked well. With a functioning fast charger at Picacho Peak or perhaps some place closer to Tucson and another at a site in north Tucson along I-10, it would be an easy round trip.

Desertstraw said:
Desertstraw said:
It turned out that the Picacho Peak fast charger was not working. Since I do not know how to cross reference, here is my post from the Phoenix thread:

Yesterday(April 16, 2013) I made the round trip between Phoenix and Tucson. Picacho Peak was a nightmare. The fast charger was not working and it was impossible to read the screen to get information because it faced the bright Arizona sun. Nobody who works there has anything to do with the chargers and they do not even have a telephone number to call for help. The unit has a chargepoint telephone number but when I called them they denied having any record of it. Eventually I got GoE3's telephone number after numerous false leads. Initially I got someone who told me that technicians were working on the problem and that he expected it to be fixed soon. Calling for updates subsequently got me nothing but voice mail. It was not repaired by four in the afternoon during my return trip.

Blink fast chargers at Casa Grande and Sears in Chandler worked well. With a functioning fast charger at Picacho Peak or perhaps some place closer to Tucson and another at a site in north Tucson along I-10, it would be an easy round trip.

Thanks for posting this, I passed it along to the EV Tucson google group et. al. My added comment is that it looks questionable if GoE3 understands the full significance of the situation: The flagship product having been in operation and in place four or five months and yet the company compensated as the network operator still does not even acknowledge the existence of the product. I also have talked with GoE3 and I like them and they have mentioned working on the problem, but I think the situation has been much more serious than they realize. Some might argue that I'm making too much of this, but the fact that to this day neither the Level II station (which I guess is operational) and the non-operational Quick-Charge station do not even show up (!) on the chargepoint.com map to me is a very bad sign. The Level II station should show up as operational (if it is operational) and the Quick-Charge station should show up as unavailable/offline. GoE3 communicated to me that the issues are linked (if the interface with Chargepoint was working properly then I guess the operation of the charge stations would be fixed, is the theory) and that's great to figure out but, but the bottom line is:

- ***whether the stations are operational or not***, public real-time accurate information about their status needs to be posted clearly online at chargepoint.com. Now. Today. The reason? People planning trips need to not go through the experience you had.
- Chargepoint needs to be made to understand that this conversation (where they deny knowledge of a station that is on their network) should never happen again.
- Whatever the problem is, for heaven's sake, get it fixed. This seems to have dragged on for months now.

Fortunately, there is evidence that GoE3 has some established capability. For example, I'm told the Level II charger at the Biosphere, also on the chargepoint network, is one of GoE3's installs. I think they've deployed other Level II around. Not sure exactly who does what in that equation, but the troubled Picacho Peak Level II and Quick-charge install is not the only example we have of their work.

jlsoaz said:
Desertstraw said:
Desertstraw said:

Thanks for posting this, I passed it along to the EV Tucson google group et. al. My added comment is that it looks questionable if GoE3 understands the full significance of the situation: The flagship product having been in operation and in place four or five months and yet the company compensated as the network operator still does not even acknowledge the existence of the product. I also have talked with GoE3 and I like them and they have mentioned working on the problem, but I think the situation has been much more serious than they realize. Some might argue that I'm making too much of this, but the fact that to this day neither the Level II station (which I guess is operational) and the non-operational Quick-Charge station do not even show up (!) on the chargepoint.com map to me is a very bad sign. The Level II station should show up as operational (if it is operational) and the Quick-Charge station should show up as unavailable/offline. GoE3 communicated to me that the issues are linked (if the interface with Chargepoint was working properly then I guess the operation of the charge stations would be fixed, is the theory) and that's great to figure out but, but the bottom line is:

- ***whether the stations are operational or not***, public real-time accurate information about their status needs to be posted clearly online at chargepoint.com. Now. Today. The reason? People planning trips need to not go through the experience you had.
- Chargepoint needs to be made to understand that this conversation (where they deny knowledge of a station that is on their network) should never happen again.
- Whatever the problem is, for heaven's sake, get it fixed. This seems to have dragged on for months now.

Fortunately, there is evidence that GoE3 has some established capability. For example, I'm told the Level II charger at the Biosphere, also on the chargepoint network, is one of GoE3's installs. I think they've deployed other Level II around. Not sure exactly who does what in that equation, but the troubled Picacho Peak Level II and Quick-charge install is not the only example we have of their work.
The L2 charger was working otherwise my trip would have been a disaster.

Desertstraw said:
The L2 charger was working otherwise my trip would have been a disaster.

Hi Desert Straw and others:

This was posted tonight in the EV Tucson discussion group on google (I don't quite know how to link it, so I am just going to paste the text I have from email).

Subject: UPDATE on the Picacho Peak Quick-Charger
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 17:07:38 -0700
Cc: <[email protected]>, [...]

Jerry & EV network folks,

Based on my meeting with Bruce Brimacombe this afternoon here's latest
update on the GoE3 fast DC unit:

. It was installed in spite of the fact that the wrong type of
display was used which was not the GoE3 requested design

. This display component and associated circuitry was also causing
incompatibility issues with the network circuitry in the Fast DC station
which actually required the manufacturer rep (present at the Grand Opening
event) to reset the station several times even during the grand opening

. In addition, because this station is only accessible in "fee
based" mode it will only work if the network connection is working, which
provides authorization followed by the fee transaction capabilities

. GoE3 was hoping that this would have been resolved much more
quickly after the opening, which has obviously not been the case.

. In spite of their diligence with the station manufacturer this
process was only recently resolved by an agreement to replace the entire
display assembly with a specialty display manufacturer component that GoE3
just signed up

. With this completed, GoE3 will be replacing the original display
and circuit with the new one within a couple of weeks.

. GoE3 is confident that this will resolve the issue

. All future GoE3 installations, such as the stations scheduled
sometime in mid-May for the new Bookman's store on Speedway in Tucson will
have this new display kit installed as a field retrofit at the same time
that the station equipment is being installed

. Keep in mind that at Picacho Peak the Level 2 charging station has
been operating this entire time, however the reason that it has not shown up
on the ChargePoint online map is that this station uses the Fast DC as the
gateway to the network which, once the display issue is resolved, will
appear on the ChargePoint portal and website.

. GoE3 understands the frustration that this has caused to those EV
drivers that had planned on using this new resource and has committed to
providing a 3 month period of "free" Fast DC charging once the station is up
and running

Please keep in mind that Verdek did not facilitate the Picacho Peak
installation, but will be project managing all subsequent installs. In
either case, we hope that this latest update has explained some of the
previously unknown details. You can be sure that GoE3 will announce the
Picacho Fast DC "re-opening" as soon as this parts upgrade has been
completed.

Rudy

Even if the Picacho Peak charger is replaced by a working model, there is still a big problem with GoE3. Based on my experience, you often get voice mail when you call for help. This can leave you stranded with no way out.

Desertstraw said:
Even if the Picacho Peak charger is replaced by a working model, there is still a big problem with GoE3. Based on my experience, you often get voice mail when you call for help. This can leave you stranded with no way out.

An understandable concern. If the Quick-charger gets fixed, I think the idea is that at that point GoE3 will be paying Chargepoint to be the network operator and Chargepoint will stop giving you this blank response when you ask them about it. I also called Chargepoint about this a couple of days ago. Hopefully, regardless of GoE3's phone policies, that particular customer service pathway would be manned 24x7 by Chargepoint, in a proper way.

That said, I'm thinking let's see first if GoE3 follows through and fixes the quick-charger. I really hope so.... GoE3's willingness to consider installing chargers in some rural areas is the leading hope that some of us have for any sort of public EVSE, at any level, and their work to install a Quick-charger at bookman's sports location on Speedway in Tucson is something that, if it works, will be very important for me.

Just FYI:

I brought your very bad experience to the attention of some regional folks (and I think it eventually got through to GoE3 this way) via this group:
http://groups.google.com/group/evtucson/about?pli=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't seem to be able to reference an individual post very readily, but today someone suggested on the group that they do a better job of leaving instructions with the attendants at behind the counter, and Rudy was responsive on that point.

Today, May 5, PlugShare shows the Picacho Peak fast charger as available. Based on my described experience, I do not regard this as reliable. Has anyone used this charger lately?

Desertstraw said:
Today, May 5, PlugShare shows the Picacho Peak fast charger as available. Based on my described experience, I do not regard this as reliable. Has anyone used this charger lately?

I haven't used it and I haven't seen reports of others using it. Until the map at Chargepoint.com shows it as available,

https://na.chargepoint.com/index.php/charge_point

I'm assuming there is still possibly or likely something significantly wrong with it. All of the other maps that might show it are crowd-sourced word-of-mouth maps. It does appear that the most recent notes on Plugshare in the details area, from Mid-April, reflect either your bad experience or someone else's.

We are coming up on the 2 week guidance that was given for getting it fixed. Once it is fixed (if it is fixed) in theory it should show up on chargepoint.com. I can ask again via the Tucson group and by email if the company could please provide guidance as to when this will be fixed, and-or perhaps others could inquire. I will also watch to see if we have any personal testimonials from anyone. I am about 125 miles away from that charger myself so do not get there often. If I drove Tucson-Phoenix with an EV, I'd probably skip that charger and shoot straight for the QC at Casa Grande (though is that one very expensive?).

jlsoaz said:
Desertstraw said:

I haven't used it and I haven't seen reports of others using it. Until the map at Chargepoint.com shows it as available,

https://na.chargepoint.com/index.php/charge_point

I'm assuming there is still possibly or likely something significantly wrong with it. All of the other maps that might show it are crowd-sourced word-of-mouth maps. It does appear that the most recent notes on Plugshare in the details area, from Mid-April, reflect either your bad experience or someone else's.

We are coming up on the 2 week guidance that was given for getting it fixed. Once it is fixed (if it is fixed) in theory it should show up on chargepoint.com. I can ask again via the Tucson group and by email if the company could please provide guidance as to when this will be fixed, and-or perhaps others could inquire. I will also watch to see if we have any personal testimonials from anyone. I am about 125 miles away from that charger myself so do not get there often. If I drove Tucson-Phoenix with an EV, I'd probably skip that charger and shoot straight for the QC at Casa Grande (though is that one very expensive?).
At the moment, the fast charger at Casa Grande is free and working.

Back