Glendale to Big Bear Lake - Possible?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdub

Of course I'd fast charge in Fontana - where I got my Leaf - but it's still 50 some miles to Big Bear Lake from there. I'd need to charge again before I start the "hill".

Are there any chargers close to the 330/18?

You're going to need a charge on the way up.

I've done a somewhat similar distance (45-50mi up a mountain at speeds ranging from 35-55 mph) but only climbed ~3000ft and arrived at the charging spot not far above LBW - you're doing ~6000ft which means you need to save about 4.5 kWh over 50 miles or about 90 Wh/mi.

45 mph is about 170 Wh/mi on flat ground (5.9 mi/kWh according to range chart) - optimal speed is around 12 mph around 12 mi/kWh which should be around 80-90 Wh/mi, you're going to have to do that to have a chance.

On the other hand, abasile lives up that road and his charging station is available to use - contact him and stop by while you charge enough to make it the rest of the way!

cdub said:
Are there any chargers close to the 330/18?

A bit out of the way if coming from Glendale, but both Metro/Redlands and Nissan SB have QC's per PlugShare.

drees said:
You're going to need a charge on the way up.

I've done a somewhat similar distance (45-50mi up a mountain at speeds ranging from 35-55 mph) but only climbed ~3000ft and arrived at the charging spot not far above LBW - you're doing ~6000ft which means you need to save about 4.5 kWh over 50 miles or about 90 Wh/mi.

45 mph is about 170 Wh/mi on flat ground (5.9 mi/kWh according to range chart) - optimal speed is around 12 mph around 12 mi/kWh which should be around 80-90 Wh/mi, you're going to have to do that to have a chance.

On the other hand, abasile lives up that road and his charging station is available to use - contact him and stop by while you charge enough to make it the rest of the way!

Only the last 20 miles is uphill though... hmmm....

You can totally do this. For best results with an 11 bar LEAF like mine, QC to full at Fontana Nissan, drive 55 mph on the 210 freeway and 35 mph up CA-330 (do use turnouts to let faster cars pass), and use my charging dock in Arrowbear as drees suggested. While charging, you can go for a hike in the National Forest (up the street) or grab a bite at Neo's Burgers (back down at the highway). It'd be great if you come to the door and say "hello", though I may or may not be available.

Back