Getting a second trickle charge cable

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the life of me, I can't figure out where to buy a second trickle charge cable. I'd like to keep one in my garage and one that I carry around with me.

Anyone know the part number?

Are there aftermarket trickle charge cables?

I wonder if you can just get the Clipper Creek LCS-25P? It'll be cheaper than Nissan's, but support 25 amps. Not sure if you can plug it in to 120V though.

I'm in the same position as you, but I'd rather just get a real, 30-amp charging station set up in my garage and keep the trickle charger in the car. I think Nissan charges over $600 for theirs, so it's never really worth it to buy a second one.

They are pricey. You can get one upgraded for 120/240 volt operation at evseupgrade.com for $1,027.

ebill3 said:
They are pricey. You can get one upgraded for 120/240 volt operation at evseupgrade.com for $1,027.

I will sell you a Tesla Model S portable with J1772 plug for $1085 complete, plus shipped to you with $999 shipping insurance. It can handle 100-250 volts, up to 40 amps. Yes, you can even plug it in to the Tesla Model S, X, E (with Tesla supplied adaptor in every car), the Toyota Rav4 EV, and even the future Mercedes B-Class ED and charge them all at the full 40 amps. Of course, with a LEAF, it will charge at 12 amps when you plug it into 120 volts or 16 - 30 amps at 240 volts (depending on which charger option you have).

IMG_2145.jpg

971898f2-aa08-42c1-94e2-6319b234ab0b.jpg

Have you ever needed a little extra cord to plug in your car? Has the charging spot ever been blocked, either by an ICE or an EV that had already finished charging? Now, you can get a J1772 extension cord to help you plug in!!!

The J1772 Level 2 AC plug and wiring assembly is UL Rated and will accommodate up to 30A up to 240V AC.

The cord is 20 feet long.

$399 complete, plus shipping and handling fee of $35 for USA and Canada

WARRANTIES FOR THESE SERVICES or PRODUCTS:

NONE

It is sold:
“AS IS”
“WITH ALL FAULTS”

NO WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY IS EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED

THE BUYER WILL PAY ALL COSTS FOR ANY REPAIRS. The seller / servicing party assumes no responsibility for any repairs regardless of any oral statements about the product and/or service.

The products and/or services contained in this packaging are NOT household goods sold to consumers.

There is no warranty of fitness for a particular purpose, expressed or implied. The buyer has not relied upon the seller to select these goods and/or services to fit any specific request.

SERVICE CONTRACT. No service contract is available at any price. None has been offered, either written or orally.

I suppose if they cost this much, looking at how Level II chargers are dropping in price, I should just put the trickle charger back in my car and get a level II at home.

How about the Clipper Creek PCS-15?
http://stores.homestead.com/ClipperCreekInc/-strse-7/PCS-dsh-15%2C-Portable-Level-1/Detail.bok" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SymphonyTomorrow said:
I suppose if they cost this much, looking at how Level II chargers are dropping in price, I should just put the trickle charger back in my car and get a level II at home.

Yes. And if you leased your car, you can apply for a tax credit worth 30% of the total purchase + installation costs at next tax season (if you bought, you might run into an AMT issue trying to get both the car purchase credit and the EVSE credit the same tax year). This credit is set to expire at the end of next month and AFAIK has not been renewed for 2014.

The Clipper Creek LCS-25 is $495, the plug-in 25P is $545, plus installation costs. Or you can do the EVSE Upgrade for around $300-350 to include a 120 volt adapter cable.

pkulak said:
I wonder if you can just get the Clipper Creek LCS-25P? It'll be cheaper than Nissan's, but support 25 amps. Not sure if you can plug it in to 120V though.

It reportedly does not work on 120 volt, and the "25" in the model number refers to the minimum circuit amperage it must be connected to, not the number of amps it can supply (which is actually 20).

SymphonyTomorrow said:
For the life of me, I can't figure out where to buy a second trickle charge cable. I'd like to keep one in my garage and one that I carry around with me.
Do you really need to carry one around with you? It depends on where you live, of course, but in two and a half years I have never had to use 120v charging away from home. I did use it by choice three times, once when visiting a relative, twice at the airport while waiting to pick someone up. To tell the truth the only reason I used it at the airport was as an excuse to get a better parking space. In all three cases I knew ahead of time that I might want it. It is really not much of a burden to throw the cord in the car once or twice a year.

Ray

If you can afford $600 and have 240 volts available, get the Clipper Creek L-2 unit. If not, get their PCS-15. I got a refurbished one on Ebay for $300, but it was mis-wired (they replaced the plug with a J-1772, and got it wrong) and I had to send it to CC for repair. Better to get a new one!

My two cents - If you are needing a second EVSE so you can keep your level-1 in the car with you, then go ahead and buy a level-2 for your home. It doesn't cost any more money, although granted the install will be a little more trouble. I have only used my L1 EVSE away from home maybe 4 or 5 times in the last two and a half years. Actually, I tried quite a bit more often than that. However, I found that outlets were often non-existent where I needed to go, or if they had outlets they were not working. Top it all off, the few times I've used L1, I have been sorely disappointed in the amount of extra juice I received for my trouble. If it isn't an overnight charge it is hardly worth it.

I use my trickle cable to charge at work every now and then, and I think having it in you trunk is good for emergencies.

I agree with the others though that you are probably better off installing L2 in your garage, especially if your panel is there, since wiring a new circuit shouldn't be too expensive.

I have the EVSE upgrade as my primary level 2, but got tired of winding up the cord every day. Just bought a second leaf trickle charger for the car off Craigslist. Now no windey windey every morning. I got a great deal on mine with a little bargaining, but you can buy them all day long on Ebay around $400+. Just type in EVSE and bid. If you want to save money and don't need an upgradable EVSE, then go for the Volt EVSE. It is non-upgradable but sells for far less (I believe it still trickles at about 12 amps). When I return the car at the end of the lease, I will include the trickle charger, and resell the EVSE upgrade. They go for about $600 on ebay. That is, unless I need it for my next EV. :D Take care.

I drive 68Km to and from work, if I am real light on the pedal and no real heating I can get there with 45 to 51 % battery, leaving it to charge all day durring work (8H) it will be 100% or 90% -+10%, enough to get me home comfertably

So if you are using 50% of your battery and expecting any thing other then 3to4% charge from the evse it just isn't going to happen, for any real usefull charge you need a moded one and a way to get 208/240 from the duplex sockets or find a level 2 charge station.

I just did a test run to the nearest city 102Km with heat and seat heaters and such, I arrived with 10% battery remaining, it took 5.3H on alevel 2 charger do the math! level one I may well of just goten it towed back home or spent the night at a friends hous!

bobsfreeleaf said:
I have the EVSE upgrade as my primary level 2, but got tired of winding up the cord every day. Just bought a second leaf trickle charger for the car off Craigslist. Now no windey windey every morning. I got a great deal on mine with a little bargaining, but you can buy them all day long on Ebay around $400+. Just type in EVSE and bid. If you want to save money and don't need an upgradable EVSE, then go for the Volt EVSE. It is non-upgradable but sells for far less (I believe it still trickles at about 12 amps). When I return the car at the end of the lease, I will include the trickle charger, and resell the EVSE upgrade. They go for about $600 on ebay. That is, unless I need it for my next EV. :D Take care.

My solution was just throw it in the back :D no winding!

XeonPony said:
My solution was just throw it in the back :D no winding!
I had to do that when charging overnight outside at -22ºC in January. The cable was so stiff that I just gently folded it into the trunk!

On topic: I have two Nissan/Panasonic EVSEs. Bought an already upgraded one from Phil ("Ingineer") for home use before I got my car; it was just before Nissan raised the price on them so my cost was reasonable. I recently had my second one upgraded because I expect to need it soon to make my longest trips in winter with a degraded battery. If not this winter then surely the next one.

L1 not just for overnight but for the workday-charge, too.
i use the L1 daily at work.
Afterwards, I wind it up with the slick reverse wind that was taught a few years ago here -- takes about 5 loops -- and lay it in a milk box in the trunk back. the box also doubles as a grocery bag carrier.

Back