Gasoline May Rise Above $5 a Gallon

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
leaf409.jpg

This was over the weekend in Michigan, due to a supply disruption from Canada. Cheapest price that day in my area was $3.96.

Oddly, I couldn't tell you what the prevailing gas price is around here these days. I never pay attention when I'm driving the LEAF but I always seem to check when I'm riding my bike for some reason and I haven't been on the bike since June.

Nubo said:
Oddly, I couldn't tell you what the prevailing gas price is around here these days. I never pay attention when I'm driving the LEAF but I always seem to check when I'm riding my bike for some reason and I haven't been on the bike since June.

ya same here. had gotten gas first 10 days of July (only fillup of Prius for the month!!) at $3.289 and was pretty pleased. fillup Aug 1 and its back up again to 3.559 almost caught myself thinking :shock: i should have driven the Prius more to take advantage of that "cheap" gas

Nubo said:

Funny I bought a tank full in the Saturn yesterday and I have no idea what the price was. I have no choice but to pay it so I just fill up and pay.

Don't get me wrong, I do try and minimize my waste / increase my effeciency but I don't fixate on the price at the pump.

Raise the price by a dollar a gallon and I'll just laugh even if I'm still pumping gas.

dhanson865 said:
Nubo said:

Funny I bought a tank full in the Saturn yesterday and I have no idea what the price was. I have no choice but to pay it so I just fill up and pay.

Don't get me wrong, I do try and minimize my waste / increase my effeciency but I don't fixate on the price at the pump.

Raise the price by a dollar a gallon and I'll just laugh even if I'm still pumping gas.

With the web at your convenience checking gas prices is but a click away with GasBuddy -- I hope that's not considered fixating. GasBuddy has a mobile app so you can check away from your computer. Someday maybe there will be a ChargeBuddy or maybe the SharePlug app will evolve into something similar and communicate with the EV making the navigation easy.

Nekota said:
dhanson865 said:
Nubo said:

With the web at your convenience checking gas prices is but a click away with GasBuddy -- I hope that's not considered fixating. GasBuddy has a mobile app so you can check away from your computer. Someday maybe there will be a ChargeBuddy or maybe the SharePlug app will evolve into something similar and communicate with the EV making the navigation easy.

I only buy 100% gas so I use puregas.org the choice of stations near my route is usually very slim so there isn't much to decide once I know where they are.

End result I buy gas at the same two gas stations month after month no matter the price.

ENIAC said:
Just another "benefit" of our present fuel infrastructure, Chevron Refinery Fire May Push California Gasoline Higher. How much higher will this push prices?
My corner Valero station jumped $.10/gal. from Monday to Tuesday, $3.84-$3.94. There's a Valero refinery just a few miles along the coast from Chevron's* so this is clearly not directly related to the station's loss of gas from Chevron, but rather anticipating the indirect effect of a tightening in gas supplies generally in California. Prior to that, prices had increased gradually about $0.19/gal. in the past month or so, from a low of $3.65/gal.

*The Richmond to Martinez coastline has the sixth largest concentration of refineries in the U.S., or at least it did back in the 1980s.

We fill-up our Subaru about once every other month for weekend trips we do (or if we both need to drive one day). I filled it up the other day and I didn't even think about the price until my wife asked how much it cost. I told her it was about $45 for 3/4 tank, then though to myself that I could drive so far on that amount with electricity :)

I noticed it's going up (and my Subaru takes premium) but I honestly don't really care too much because the amount of fill-ups I do is SO MUCH LESS than before we had the LEAF.

EricBayArea said:
We fill-up our Subaru about once every other month for weekend trips we do (or if we both need to drive one day). I filled it up the other day and I didn't even think about the price until my wife asked how much it cost. I told her it was about $45 for 3/4 tank, then though to myself that I could drive so far on that amount with electricity :)

I noticed it's going up (and my Subaru takes premium) but I honestly don't really care too much because the amount of fill-ups I do is SO MUCH LESS than before we had the LEAF.
My Subie gets filled up similar to yours, but I suspect my income is lower so I do still care. :lol: Rather than an EV I use my feet, bike and transit for local trips.

dhanson865 said:
I only buy 100% gas so I use puregas.org the choice of stations near my route is usually very slim so there isn't much to decide once I know where they are.
What a strange concept! I assume "100% gas" means as contrasted to E85. Around here everyone sells "100% gas" and I would have no idea where to go to buy E85. Well, actually, I just did a Google search out of curiosity. I found two stations that sell E85 in San Jose (pop nearly 1 million) and four in the SF Bay Area (pop >7 million). I guess that's what happens when you live somewhere there aren't any huge corn interests to buy out the legislators.

Ray

planet4ever said:
dhanson865 said:
What a strange concept! I assume "100% gas" means as contrasted to E85. Around here everyone sells "100% gas" and I would have no idea where to go to buy E85. Well, actually, I just did a Google search out of curiosity. I found two stations that sell E85 in San Jose (pop nearly 1 million) and four in the SF Bay Area (pop >7 million). I guess that's what happens when you live somewhere there aren't any huge corn interests to buy out the legislators.

Ray

Actually I am guessing he was referring to the standard blend which I believe is 10% ethanol. It is pretty standard in most gas stations.

planet4ever said:
dhanson865 said:

Ray

Nope, 100% gas has no ethanol and you can call it E0

What you've been thinking of as normal gas at the majority of stations in the US is E10 but there has been talk of allowing or requireing E15.

E0 = 0% ethanol, 100% gaololine
E10 = 10% ethanol, 90% gasoline
E15 = 15% ethanol, 85% gasoline
E85 = 85% ehannol, 15% gasoline

To find E0 aka 100% gas go to http://pure-gas.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You might also look at http://www.fuel-testers.com/state_guide_ethanol_laws.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to see the labeling requirements at the pump.

I'd put 100% gas in any car that isn't labeled Flex Fuel as E10 gives worse MPG enought to offset the price difference in most cases.

planet4ever said:
]What a strange concept! I assume "100% gas" means as contrasted to E85. Around here everyone sells "100% gas" and I would have no idea where to go to buy E85. Well, actually, I just did a Google search out of curiosity.
The place I've always gone was http://www.e85fuel.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (not that I have a FFV).

A few years ago, there a whopping 1 publicly accessible E85 station in all of CA! It was Pearson Fuels down in San Diego.

cwerdna said:
A few years ago, there a whopping 1 publicly accessible E85 station in all of CA! It was Pearson Fuels down in San Diego.

http://www.pearsonfuels.com/e85/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They also have 5 Blink EVSE's.

dhanson865 said:
To find E0 aka 100% gas go to http://pure-gas.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Unfortunately, the only ones listed anywhere near me are marinas, but that 90 octane boat fuel is always much more expensive. I'd love to find an 87 octane E0 station around here, as the mpg in my Prius dropped at least 3-4 mpg when they started blending in 10% ethanol. :(

planet4ever said:
dhanson865 said:

Ray

Ray, I think you have that reversed. It is what you find when you have decades where people were told and believed they only had one choice in transportation fuels. It takes a little while and a lot of effort to overcome that mind set and the advantage of decades of subsides and tax breaks to the oil industries.

Also every time we spend $2000 a year on gasoline (pretty easy to do for an average MPG car), we are sending more than 30% or more than $600 overseas for foreign oil. Ethanol actually helps keep the cost of gasoline down, reduces our trade deficit, provides local jobs, and other benefits. Besides driving my Leaf and using locally produced electricity, I converted my Camry to run on ethanol (E85) where most of my transportation dollars for fuel stays local and helps support local alternatives to oil.

keydiver said:
dhanson865 said:

Unfortunately, the only ones listed anywhere near me are marinas, but that 90 octane boat fuel is always much more expensive. I'd love to find an 87 octane E0 station around here, as the mpg in my Prius dropped at least 3-4 mpg when they started blending in 10% ethanol. :(

My saturn dropped 10%. I used to be able to get 40mpg now I'm stuck at 35ish. It was a noticeable difference on a car that goes an average of 300 miles.

I was being conservative with 3-4 mpg. It is VERY noticeable when you are used to getting >50 mpg. I don't care what the arguments are FOR ethanol. If they replace 10% of my gas with ethanol, and I get 10% worse gas mileage, where is the benefit in that?? :roll: And, making it from corn is just plain stupid. Many of the proponents who pushed for the ethanol legislation have now back-pedaled, and are now trying to get it repealed. But, like most government subsidies, once you have something in place its almost impossible to remove it. I just hope they fail to get the 15% ethanol blend they are now pushing for.

Back