Gas cars can get 1000 miles to the tank...letters to editor

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksnogas2112

So an unfortunate example of gas opions (scroll down to gas vs electric)
http://www.kansascity.com/2013/03/04/4100143/congress-obama-and-gun-control.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gas cars vs. electric
Some people say electric cars are the automotive future, but many will disagree.
Electric cars are not ready and won’t be for a while. They still have too many flaws.
For example, gas-powered cars can travel much farther than electric cars.
The average range of an electric car is 100 to 200 miles. Gas-powered cars have a range of several hundred miles and in some cases, up to 1,000 miles on one tank of gas.
Electric cars have a huge effect on the environment. How you may ask?
The mining of the minerals for the batteries destroys the environment and pollutes the air with all the heavy equipment.
Some people might say that it’s cheaper to recharge than to fuel up. What people don’t know is that the charging stations cost a lot to build and can take hours to charge a car.
What happens when you’re out on a drive and your charge runs out?
Not very many gas stations have places to charge electric cars and they run off batteries that don’t last forever and cost $800 to $6,000.
Gas cars have always been trusted, so why change?

Josh Frasher
Blue Springs

And now let the firestorm of internet rage begin

Sorry, but that doesn't top my all time favorite letter to the editor, to the Sun-Sentinel here:

I think daylight savings time is a bad idea, especially here in South Florida, as the extra hour of sunlight burns the lawns.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Sorry, but that doesn't top my all time favorite letter to the editor, to the Sun-Sentinel here:

I think daylight savings time is a bad idea, especially here in South Florida, as the extra hour of sunlight burns the lawns.
My Dad's all-time favorite was from the 1980s when farmers were struggling financially and protesting for government support. A reporter in NYC asked someone how they felt about the plight of the farmers and they said they didn't care about the farmers because they got their food from the grocery store.

I am sure similar arguments were made vs the gasoline car when it was first displacing the horse and buggy.
And as it turns out there are many that still just use horse and buggy. That is freedom at its best.

ksnogas2112 said:
[/i]

That is what they said in 1800 as well. Horses have always been a trusted means of transportation. Why would you want that blue smoke belching machine? Of course a little blue smoke was nothing compared to all the pollution that the horses were causing in the cites with all their waste emissions. Now were in the same situation, and were trying to remove the blue smoke, which has improved to the point of being colorless, but is still there none the less. It is going to be a tougher switch, but the change will come.

ksnogas2112 said:

The mining of the minerals for the batteries destroys the environment and pollutes the air with all the heavy equipment.

Little-known fact: Gasoline cars contain no minerals.

palmermd said:
ksnogas2112 said:
[/i]

That is what they said in 1800 as well. Horses have always been a trusted means of transportation. Why would you want that blue smoke belching machine? Of course a little blue smoke was nothing compared to all the pollution that the horses were causing in the cites with all their waste emissions. Now were in the same situation, and were trying to remove the blue smoke, which has improved to the point of being colorless, but is still there none the less. It is going to be a tougher switch, but the change will come.
It was quite common in the early days of autos for someone on a horse or horse drawn wagon to come upon a broken-down car by the side of the road, which almost inevitably drew a derisive comment from the equine-powered: "Get a Horse!"

The responses have been interesting here. I'm a little surprised at the lack of rage. Have we all finally become inured to the perpetual facepalm caused by the anti-EV gremlins?

What happens when you’re out on a drive and your charge runs out?

I've heard this one before, and I always counter it with the leaf essentially gives you 3x the warnings that a gas car does. I've got more public charger anxiety than range anxiety.

Also apparently a lot of people are worried about forgetting to plug in. I mention that you can set up the car to text you if you forget, and it instantly becomes a non issue for them. It's a great marketing feature that I never use. :roll:

ksnogas2112 said:
Have we all finally become inured to the perpetual facepalm caused by the anti-EV gremlins?
The fact to noise ratio is that of propaganda from these articles. I'm more disgusted than angry.

Nubo said:
I think it's a good sign that they have to resort to 1000 miles per tank comparisons.
This bad boy should be good for 1000 miles on a tank:
http://www.newmarcorp.com/models/luxury/King%20Aire" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LTLFTcomposite said:
Nubo said:
I think it's a good sign that they have to resort to 1000 miles per tank comparisons.
This bad boy should be good for 1000 miles on a tank:
http://www.newmarcorp.com/models/luxury/King%20Aire" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Think so? 200 gallon tank, all you need is 5 miles per gallon. Ok, I'll believe that. But what do I know?

And think of filling a 200 gallon tank with $5 diesel... Got a spare kilobuck?

Soda will be extra, of course.

ksnogas2112 said:
Have we all finally become inured to the perpetual facepalm caused by the anti-EV gremlins?

I have slowed down on getting into these types of arguments in these comments sections. I don't feel the rage anymore because there are so many more EVers out there now and they are winning the argument pretty easily. As a long time EV driver I can just sit back and watch and smile. You new guys can take over for a while :)

I am really starting to enjoy the Nissan Leaf FB page. It's fun to see brand new EV drivers who have never had any EV experience in the past become so passionate about their cars.

I'm certain that his grandfather wrote a similar article in the early 20th century, comparing horses (unlimited range!), to smelly, loud cars that sometimes broke your leg as you were, literally, trying to crank them up. Some people just hate change and think its not worth doing if you already have a system that appears to work. It doesn't work in the long-term, of course, but guys like this are unlikely to ever change their minds.

WetEV said:
Think so? 200 gallon tank, all you need is 5 miles per gallon. Ok, I'll believe that. But what do I know?

And think of filling a 200 gallon tank with $5 diesel... Got a spare kilobuck?

Soda will be extra, of course.
Expect 6-7 mpg, maybe even 8. Ironically the TCO is likely lower than the Ferrari, and you cant live in the Ferrari. Of course you wouldn't want to have to pick up women in the bus.

Fortunately it is from an opinion-letters-to-the-editor page. Those letters are often from crackpots that aren't very well informed when they go on a rant. We Early Adopters can look upon the author as definitely from the Laggard section of the transportation market. It happens with any new device that hits the market. I remember thinking when personal computers came out and didn't even have a hard drive. You had to swap out 5-1/4" floppy discs to run anything. At that time I was a laggard and didn't consider a personal computer until many years later. However, in my defense, I didn't bad mouth those that were interested in them either.

Back