Future LEAF to offer choice of battery size

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From another post:

• Battery-battery hybrids: Tesla has patented the concept of using a lithium-ion (LI) battery (medium energy density and high power density) with a lithium-air (LA) battery (high energy density and medium power density). The LI battery would be used to provide energy during brief driving periods requiring high power (accelerating and climbing hills) and the LA battery would be used to provide energy during periods requiring low power (cruising). The LA battery also can recharge the LI battery.

adric22 wrote:

"Actually, the way I understand this type of hybrid battery is a bit different. I believe the idea is that it will work like a Chevy Volt. The main LI battery will be the daily use battery that has 1,000+ cycle life. The other battery will have a lot of extra density for extra range, but poor cycle life. And thus you can drive your daily commute on the LI battery, and when you take longer trips, dig into the LA battery. Assuming you only use the second battery once or twice a month, the cycle life should be good enough to last the life of the car."

Now, if Tesla went with a hybrid battery on the Model E, and it was close in price to a double-stuff LEAF, it would make an interesting competition.

DarthPuppy said:
I wouldn't hold your breath for the Model E. While they have an excellent product, it sounds like Tesla also has an excellent track record for delivering new models late. And there is still the Model X that has to come first.

I suspect they will eventually stay as a niche, high-end brand but collect a lot of revenue from providing tech to lower-end products, e.g., the Smart ev.

Typically when a company wants to play in both the entry-level market and the high-end market, they do so under different brands that they own. In fact, off hand, I can't think of a significant car company that hasn't used the multiple brand approach for targeting the different market levels. Not saying it can't be done, just not likely.

I suppose they could launch another brand - perhaps called the Gauss, Newton, or Pasteur?

Note to Tesla if you are reading this - If you don't already have these names trademarked, better make me an offer. :mrgreen: -jk
Call it the Ohm. Think of the marketing campaign: "Resistance is Futile - you'll want an Ohm" (what's Jeri Ryan doing these days?) :D

Stoaty said:
Meaningless article that is long on generalities and therefore conveys no new or useful information.
Right. Please note the caveats: "Nissan could add"; "Maybe you will see"; " It’s not inconceivable ... to imagine"; "improvement is slow"; "the next generation of LEAF, which will be launched in due time".

My prediction: 2014? No way! 2015? Barely possible. 2016? More likely. 2017? Probably by then.

Ray

planet4ever said:
Right. Please note the caveats: "Nissan could add"; "Maybe you will see"; " It’s not inconceivable ... to imagine"; "improvement is slow"; "the next generation of LEAF, which will be launched in due time".

My prediction: 2014? No way! 2015? Barely possible. 2016? More likely. 2017? Probably by then.
It's the same technique that Tesla uses: talk up future plans to keep people excited, keep their brand in the news, and also to keep buyers from purchasing another brand now since the next great thing is just around the corner. Not saying there is anything wrong with this, just that there is no reason to pay much attention to it.

LTLFTcomposite said:
It will be like Tesla all over. Almost everyone will want the largest size available. The small capacity version will mostly be used for advertising purposes: "Priced from...
Yup!
It's one thing to make the car (Leaf model S) available to masses as not everyone has to have all the gadgets and opts for low price on bare-bones model. It's a whole another matter to offer 2 ranges. If people read up on it they'll know that lower range just isn't a viable option.

The higher range option will be marketed...in the same sentences with the lower price, no different then how other cars are marketed between price and top end features. (Tesla included).

If most of us on this board can get 100 or so on a current battery, at 48KWh (or how about an even 50???), 200 with some conservative driving would be very possible (assuming the larger pack isn't too much heavier). It makes the Leaf a regional car, not a city car. With an hour on an L3 for each 2 hours of driving...that might be tenable to even get across the country if needed.

You realize if Nissan did this, they'd basically be advertising the price of their battery. Considering the massive sphincter tightening that prospect seems to have elicited until now, even this vague allusion may be better news than it would first appear!

Call me a pessimist, but I try to be a realist.
One of the first things my Dad taught me: "You cannot put 10 gallons of paint into a 5 gallon bucket". Doubling battery capacity with current tech would require a completely new Leaf platform IMO and reduce range (and the delightful nimble handling I enjoy every day) by dragging around all that extra weight. My Leaf does all I need (and planned before leasing it) for it to do. My 10-year-old, paid for ICE fills in when needed for the missus, trips or hauling. If I wanted to drive 600 miles on a fill, I'd have gotten a TDI VW Jetta. Of course I will be thrilled "if" EV producers come up with a viable new better battery chemistry. But I don't see it being cheaper, more's the pity - even if it's cheaper to produce, they will want payback for R&D. Also, I see fewer and smaller gov't incentives as sure as I'm sitting here...
I bet a 48KW Leaf would cost at least $45K. With the same basic features we have now and smaller incentives.
I believe that we won't see anything "breakthrough" for at least 3 or 4 years :( I also heard Nissan is considering a CV transmission for Leaf. Seems this would add more usable power at higher speed and about 10% more range due to increased driveline efficiency, without adding much cost.
Another thing Dad said: "Wish in one hand and **** in the other and see which one fills up faster".
But I remain hopeful, and probably would be sorely tempted if 200-mile Tesla or Leaf were available, even at the higher price. I admit I do lust for new technology; it's an exciting time to be alive...

There is a rumor that Nissan is testing lithium-sulfur battery with double the range: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6494&start=330" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Petecomp1 said:
Call me a pessimist, but I try to be a realist.
One of the first things my Dad taught me: "You cannot put 10 gallons of paint into a 5 gallon bucket". Doubling battery capacity with current tech would require a completely new Leaf platform IMO and reduce range (and the delightful nimble handling I enjoy every day) by dragging around all that extra weight.
I agree, unless they have a new chemistry or battery technology they plan to use. But, I suspect the next generation Leaf is well under development and I'm sure they have designed it from the beginning to accommodate two sizes of battery pack.

Too bad you can't drive rumors...

DanCar said:
There is a rumor that Nissan is testing lithium-sulfur battery with double the range: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6494&start=330" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ILETRIC said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
It will be like Tesla all over. Almost everyone will want the largest size available. The small capacity version will mostly be used for advertising purposes: "Priced from...
Yup!
It's one thing to make the car (Leaf model S) available to masses as not everyone has to have all the gadgets and opts for low price on bare-bones model. It's a whole another matter to offer 2 ranges. If people read up on it they'll know that lower range just isn't a viable option.

Maybe not viable for the masses, but viable enough for some of us, even now.

Might make for a lot of cheap, used, low range LEAFs someday.

For the long shot...

For the 2014 MY, Nissan offers the leaf with a 48 kWh "hot battery".

It would explain the lack of leaks regarding the 2014 Leaf. They have it so locked down that no-one is talking about it.

We can all dream right? :D

NX2001 said:
For the long shot...

For the 2014 MY, Nissan offers the leaf with a 48 kWh "hot battery".

It would explain the lack of leaks regarding the 2014 Leaf. They have it so locked down that no-one is talking about it.

We can all dream right? :D
There is no lack of leaks regarding the 2014 LEAF. Nissan has even announced the content multiple times.

Essentially the same as 2013. The rear camera becomes standard. Ability to handle SMS messages by voice. Not much else changed. Availability last slated for late December. Pricing has not been announced but I'd expect little if any price change.

Petecomp1 said:
"You cannot put 10 gallons of paint into a 5 gallon bucket". Doubling battery capacity with current tech would require a completely new Leaf platform

Or they can just bring back the hump behind the rear seat and pack it full of modules. No redesign needed.

While I really want more range, I think the best bet is to maintain the current vehicle design, but upgrade the modules with better chemistry only as it comes down in price.

Back