Full motor cut out while driving

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow that's a lot of DTC's. Honestly, before replacing the 12 volt, maybe try clearing the codes, then starting the car and working through the various functions on the HVAC. Run the AC for a bit, then switch to full heat, do some defrost, etc. Do all the functions work?

Were you running the heater at the time when the system cut out? Do you have a yellow light on in the instrument cluster with a picture of a car with a ! in it?

most of those are still controlled by the 12 volt system but I am willing to bet you will find nothing wrong with the battery but again, this does not mean there is not a 12 volt system issue. I would check your 12 volt DC converter as well after the battery checks out ok...

mwalsh said:
EVdownunder said:
Thank you.I have checked the codes tonight after driving it today.The car has not stopped at all today.It is very rare to stop but as I said has happened a few times now. Yes you guys are correct with the HVAC.There are a heap of codes under HVAC and no where else as yet.
I will list a few here: B2630,B2631,B27A0,B27A1,B27A2,B27A3,B27A4,B27A5,B27A6,B27A7,B27A8,B27A9,B2783,B2785,B2787,B2788,B2789,B278A,B278B,B278C,
B2781,B2782,B2780,B2784,B2786,B2791,B278D,B2771,B2772,B2773,B2774,B2775,B2776,B2777,B2779,B277A,B277B

All those are related to the Heater and Air Conditioning control system.

Could still be the 12v system, but I'm inclined towards thinking you have a problem with your Heater/AC.

B2630 SUNLOAD SENSOR
B2631 SUNLOAD SENSOR

B27A0 INTAKE DOOR MOTOR
B27A1 INTAKE DOOR MOTOR

B27A2 AIR MIX DOOR MOTOR
B27A3 AIR MIX DOOR MOTOR
B27A4 AIR MIX DOOR MOTOR
B27A5 AIR MIX DOOR MOTOR

B27A6 MODE DOOR MOTOR
B27A7 MODE DOOR MOTOR
B27A8 MODE DOOR MOTOR
B27A9 MODE DOOR MOTOR

B277A PTC ELEMENTS HEATER
B277B PTC ELEMENTS HEATER
B2771 PTC ELEMENTS HEATER
B2772 PTC ELEMENTS HEATER
B2773 PTC ELEMENTS HEATER
B2774 PTC ELEMENTS HEATER
B2775 PTC ELEMENTS HEATER
B2776 PTC ELEMENTS HEATER
B2777 PTC ELEMENTS HEATER
B2779 PTC ELEMENTS HEATER

B2780 ELECTRIC COMPRESSOR
B2781 ELECTRIC COMPRESSOR
B2782 ELECTRIC COMPRESSOR
B2783 ELECTRIC COMPRESSOR
B2784 ELECTRIC COMPRESSOR
B2785 ELECTRIC COMPRESSOR
B2786 ELECTRIC COMPRESSOR
B2787 ELECTRIC COMPRESSOR
B2788 ELECTRIC COMPRESSOR
B2789 ELECTRIC COMPRESSOR
B2791 ELECTRIC COMPRESSOR
B278A ELECTRIC COMPRESSOR
B278B ELECTRIC COMPRESSOR
B278C ELECTRIC COMPRESSOR
B278D ELECTRIC COMPRESSOR
Wow thats a pretty good breakdown of all those DTCs! Have you become exceedingly proficient at thumbing thru the manual, or is there a secret to "quick find" those. For me, it would take hours of searching all the different sections. I would find them, eventually. I wonder if anyone has compiled an alpha/numeric list of all the various DTCs in conjunction with different model years?

ElectricEddy said:
Wow thats a pretty good breakdown of all those DTCs! Have you become exceedingly proficient at thumbing thru the manual, or is there a secret to "quick find" those. For me, it would take hours of searching all the different sections. I would find them, eventually. I wonder if anyone has compiled an alpha/numeric list of all the various DTCs in conjunction with different model years?

Well, it was extremely helpful that they turned out to be all from the same section of the service manual, but for "text within a file" searches I installed Agent Ransack (https://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack) to replace the Windows 7 search tool. It works much more like the search tool used to work under Windows XP, so I personally find in hugely more useful. Of course, it could also be that I don't understand how to use the Windows 7 tool effectively, but if you have to "learn" how to do a simple computer search can it really be a well created (intuitive) tool?

I simply insert the text string; choose .pdf as the file type, and can even choose the directory I keep the service manual in so that the searches are limited to it and it's sub-directories.

Hi EVDownunder,

I tried to send you a PM but I'm not sure if you got it. Sorry to hear about your car cutting out, we once had a VW Polo which did the same thing and know how scary it could be! I also had a few HVAC DTC codes on mine and thought it was a shonky panel beating job (the radiator was replaced).

Mind if I ask how much you paid for your imported LEAF? Where abouts in Australia are you located?

Thank you.
I have since had the battery (12v) tested.Had around 500cca and all good under a hydrometer test.I then checked the grounds going to the body from the negative.I found that they had a full coat of factory paint under them on the body.I thought they would apply a decal where all the body grounds go then remove when they fitted the harness at the factory.I could see bare metal only in the threaded nut that is in the body
itself.The bolts have kind of a black coating on them.Anyway all grounds that I could easily see have been checked under the hood.Checked
cable to the inverter if that what it is.All look clean and were tight.I removed and refitted them.As I said we had lots of Hvac codes.I am now thinking that that may now be a problem with the scanner I was using.Every time I did the scan after clearing once the scanner got to the Hvac system I got a message on the Leaf screen.Once we fitted the new Battery at the shop he cleared the codes with his very expensive scanner and no codes were present after 5 minutes at his shop.With the first scanner that I had been checking for the problem I got Hvac codes right away.
If the heater was on on off or in any cooling heating mode. I think there must be a bug in the Launch X431 software.Now we need to drive the car again and wait and see.I called Nissan here in NZ today and told them what I have done.They said drive it and if it stops again get them to check the codes.They said it will also tell them at that time if it needs any software update.Anyone know if it would tell them if there was any recall on it also ? Thanks.

Had a similar problem where the car wouldn't start. After about two months of diagnostics, it was determined to be a short circuit in the climate control panel.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=18580&p=400983#p400983

Hi EVdownunder!

I have found the dialog that has been on your problem to day. I my self have the same problem on a Leaf taken in from Florida.
What has happend after you changed the 12v batteri. Did you manage to find the real reason for this problem?

Best regards Tom

Hello.
Yes it might be in the climate control system. The problem has only just occurred again now.This time I was driving it myself.The problem had happened with my Wife driving every other time.So it was good to see it for myself.Well I was hoping it may have gone away after cleaning all the grounds and fitting the new 12V battery.But it still has the problem.Rather than check myself with the scanner I have I will take it to Nissan and have the codes checked.I will post again when I have the DTC/s back.When It cut on me I was accelerating up a hill from a stand still.I used about 90% throttle at that time.I got to about 50kph (30 mph) when it completely cut out.Before it came to a stand still I tried to restart it using the button.But it would not restart until I completely stopped.Not sure at the time if I had some brake pressure on the brake pedal to restart it.Anyway it started fine once stopped.
Thanks

Back