Front shock absorber mount collects water and corrodes

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkBC

If you lift the hood and pull off the little plastic covers above the front shocks you will see that all the water running off the front windshield gets diverted through the compartment with the bolts for mounting the front shocks. Strangely, the mount is shaped like a bowl so the water just sits there and corrodes the bolt away. In winter this will be salt water. I won't bother questioning why designers would do such a thing since it's a new product and things get overlooked, but does anyone have any thoughts on how to waterproof this mount so it doesn't get completely destroyed by corrosion?

Hm... I'll have to take a look at this tomorrow.

Obviously without seeing it my thoughts may be meaningless... First thought would be to seal the area so water can't get in somehow. Perhaps some shower epoxy for corners. If sealing the area is not an option perhaps you can line the metal "bowl" so that water does not touch the metal - thinking a wax of some kind or a water-proofing spray coating.

MarkBC said:
If you lift the hood and pull off the little plastic covers above the front shocks you will see that all the water running off the front windshield gets diverted through the compartment with the bolts for mounting the front shocks. Strangely, the mount is shaped like a bowl so the water just sits there and corrodes the bolt away. In winter this will be salt water.
I looked at mine and they are both currently dry. The passenger side looks like new but on the driver's side there is some sign of previous water on the inside of the "bowl" where the shock is located. I do not see any sign of corrosion, yet, but our LEAF only has 5000 miles on it so far.

While it appears water does get channelled through this area, it looks to me like most of that water should go aft of the shock mount. I would think cabin air flows across the shock mount most of the time, which would tend to dry it out.
MarkBC said:
I won't bother questioning why designers would do such a thing since it's a new product and things get overlooked, but does anyone have any thoughts on how to waterproof this mount so it doesn't get completely destroyed by corrosion?
To me the mount appears to be part of the unibody, so it should be pretty typical automotive stamped steel, which tends to be fairly corrosion resistant.

BTW, does yours have standing water in it?
LakeLeaf said:
What's underneath this? Can a drain hole be drilled in the "bowl"?
No, the rubber grommet at the top of the shock fills the hole, so if you tried to drill, you would hit the shock absorber before you created a path for water to drain.

Back