Dragging front lower under cover panel.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwalsh

Leaf Supporting Member
I don't know how unique this is, but my front under cover panel (under the motor) has busted out at the rear bolt. This was due to incorrect reassembly after I got my warranty replacement battery pack - instead of tucking the cover's trailing edge up into the chassis first, the technician simply bolted it into place. I knew after I saw it dangling the first time that this was how it had happened, and knew that it was incorrect because I had already taken this cover off once from it being factory new (when I installed my air horns).

The incorrect install caused stress on the cover material and eventually a circle the same size as the bolt washer busted out of it. As a result, more strain was put on the plastic push-rivet clips and, even with the cover trailing edge installed properly, without the added support of that one bolt and with a propensity for the cover to work itself loose again (probably by catching it on speed bumps and/or dips in the road), they have eventually all given up the ghost too.

A couple of times now I have noticed the cover has been dragging on the ground at low speeds and have improvised a repair. Having already tried zip ties and have them also fail, it is currently held in place by a bungee cord stretched between the chassis rails towards the rear of the cover. Totally ghetto, but it's been working for about a week.

Anyway, the point of this is that if anyone needs replacement rivets, the part number is 01553-05933 and I picked up a bag of 10 (nice to have some spares) on eBay for $13.50 shipped. About the best price I've seen with the shipping included.

If your under body cover gets absolutely trashed, the part number for a 2011 is 75892-3NA0A and it runs about $100 plus shipping.

Mine just looks a bit rough, so I plan on repairing it by reinforcing the busted out bolt hole using some of the metal strapping generally used for securing water heaters. I happen to have a rather large spool left over from a WH install, and it occasionally comes in useful for other things. I'll either epoxy this in place or bolt it on, making one of the holes in the strapping match the position for the bolt hole in the cover; then I'll paint the strapping black to match. I think the prospects for having this repair last a while are pretty good. Pictures to follow (maybe).

Back