Front License Plate

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
awiegel said:
derkraut said:
LEAFer said:
No offense or criticism intended ... *but* ... I am not sure if this "mod" ("vandalized" plate) will attract MORE attention from law enforcement or less than NO plate. :|

+1......I think you're asking for trouble with this. :?

The first time I did this was 1985, for the front of a Jaguar which had a space that size in the bumper. In about 1988, I had my first and only discussion with a Highway Patrol officer on the subject. It was in Sutter Creek. He was obviously bored, and I was just sitting in the car waiting for my wife. He said "what did you do, cut down the plate? That's Government Property you know and you can't cut it." I said " No, its just bent. Do you give tickets for bent plates?" He grumbled and went away. I continued to run that plate until I sold the car in 2001. Then I got a Mercedes Coupe. I did the same thing again. Pretty much like what you see on my leaf. Drove that car that way for 11 years until I started driving my leaf. After a continuous period of 26 years of driving with a plate bent up like that, and getting my share of moving violations with no mention of the plate, I guess I will just take my chances and live dangerously. ( I also ride motorcycles) :cool:
you might get away with that plate wherever it is you are but some states require that the ENTIRE plate be visible, for example those dealership places that cover the state name or state motto will get you a ticket in many states
YMMV

QueenBee said:
Hah, that's pretty intense. Just don't use it when you have to parallel park around grumpy parking enforcement officers or you'll probably get a ticket for no rear plate :)

Yeah I'm a little concerned about that, I've seen people mount a plate on the bumper, or cut a square hole through the bumper guard.

Usually the people behind you are on top of your bumper that you can't even see the plate, I guess I'll find out.

Maybe I'll make a color photo copy of my plate and have it laminated and attach it to the bumper guard. I'm only using the bumper guard when I park on the streets or when I hand the car off to Valets and Parking attendants in lots.

asinclair said:
Which size bumper guard did you get?

42"

Maybe what I do is make a color photo copy of my plate and stick it in the back window when I use the bumper guard. Then they can't state that the plate is not displayed.

Lasareath said:
Maybe what I do is make a color photo copy of my plate and stick it in the back window when I use the bumper guard. Then they can't state that the plate is not displayed.
do you like gambling, in NJ I can almost guarantee that idea would earn you a ticket, probably the NYC parking gestapo wouldn't be too friendly either

Yep. I like to gamble. That's why I park on the street. It's a gamble. We'll just have to wait and see.

apvbguy said:
Lasareath said:
do you like gambling, in NJ I can almost guarantee that idea would earn you a ticket, probably the NYC parking gestapo wouldn't be too friendly either

No Tickets yet. Been using a color Photo copy of my plate stuck in my rear window with packing tape. I remove the license when the Parking Amour is not in use.

I just bought one of these in 6" by 12" in aluminum to adhere to the outside of the Parking Armor.

http://teamlogo.com/inc/sdetail/178360/186040" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A more permanent solution.

apvbguy said:
Lasareath said:

Here are the supposed benefits? to having a plate in front: Two license plates on a vehicle makes it much easier to identify by law enforcement officials. This helps aid police when trying to track down a stolen vehicle or another vehicle driven by a criminal suspect. Also, it aids in the use of red light violation cameras which take pictures of the car and attempt to identify the vehicle by its plates.

To the best of my knowledge there is no one capable of reading the front license plate of a moving vehicle if it is in back of you. If it is coming towards you the first impulse you'll have is to get the hell out of the way and not spend a few seconds reading the plate plate before it demolishes you!! LOL If the cops are tracking down the vehicle aren't they in back of the vehicle? In Arizona where red light cameras are as thick as flies the state, one of twenty states, does not require front license plates.

To me the bottom line is if I'm doing something illegal in a motor vehicle not having a front license plate it is the least of my worries and if I did have to pay a $100 "fixit" ticket for my $35,000 LEAF it's the cost of having a beautiful car. For that matter I see all of these Holllywood types running around in their Frerrari's and Porsche's with nary a front plate.

This is just my read on things and not my advice to anyone reading the above.

- Chip

Chip,

No plate does not protect the bumper at all from clueless drivers when they are backing up into you.

My BumpShox helps to protect my front bumper by cushioning the blows from other people's bumpers.

http://www.bumpshox.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sal

Back