Found a certified 2013s with new battery - opinions wanted

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greggorylane

I am shopping for a used leaf. I would prefer a a higher end model with more bells whistles. However, this car has got me thinking that with the new battery (assuming lizard) and 5 years of warranty from the certification I will have very little risk. I would like the opinions of real owners on this?

Greggorylane said:
I am shopping for a used leaf. I would prefer a a higher end model with more bells whistles. However, this car has got me thinking that with the new battery (assuming lizard) and 5 years of warranty from the certification I will have very little risk. I would like the opinions of real owners on this?
Is it a certified used from Nissan? One of the Leaf I bought was, they give you a reset warranty basically from the time you purchase, so it resets the 36k for all things, 60k battery warranty, etc. I have a 2013 S already and it is as basic as it gets compared to the SV or SL model. If you want the bells and whistles, you need to search for one of those SV or SL trim levels, otherwise, you are getting just a basic electric car.

Well, first of all you'll want written proof of the new battery. Period. We've just gone through a situation where a purchaser was told that a new battery was supposedly installed on a car and it wasn't, only the battery capacity gauge was reset.

So you'll want written proof, and if you want to be sure that it's also a 2015 Lizard pack then you'll want a copy of the service invoice showing part numbers for the pack AND for the various parts of the fitting kit (the 2015 pack will not fit in a 2011-2014 without it).

If the dealer balks at any of this, I would walk away.

In my experience, Certified Pre-Owned on LEAF can mean anything. I saw LEAFs missing the SD card, EVSE, tire repair kit, etc. being marked as CPO. I contacted Nissan to find out if there was a corporate standard for CPO for the LEAF, and they told me to contact the dealer, as they're the experts. So, in short, I wouldn't spend any extra on a certified vs. any other used LEAF without everything you expect it to have in writing, as others have already mentioned.
In the end, I bought a regular old used LEAF and then got the Nissan extended warranty with the difference in money.

That alone would make me run screaming in the opposite direction! We all know that for anything other than trying to leverage maximum profits, Nissan dealers are as far from an expert as one can get! Particularly for a Leaf!

ishiyakazuo said:
I contacted Nissan to find out if there was a corporate standard for CPO for the LEAF, and they told me to contact the dealer, as they're the experts.

TomT said:
That alone would make me run screaming in the opposite direction! We all know that for anything other than trying to leverage maximum profits, Nissan dealers are as far from an expert as one can get! Particularly for a Leaf!
It certainly didn't instill me with great confidence! I'd just spent 7 hours at the dealer and they didn't seem to know heads from tails about anything, and yet somehow they were selling "certified" LEAFs. That, combined with kuri's tale about the "new battery" and I'd want EVERYTHING in writing.

ishiyakazuo said:
TomT said:
It certainly didn't instill me with great confidence! I'd just spent 7 hours at the dealer and they didn't seem to know heads from tails about anything, and yet somehow they were selling "certified" LEAFs. That, combined with kuri's tale about the "new battery" and I'd want EVERYTHING in writing.
All great advice above (save for "denigrating" the S*).

Regarding the dealers, bigger question but I really don't see how Nissan, overcomes "that problem". I suspect that >90% of Leaf sales have come from educated shoppers coming in specifically and only for a Leaf, and very few being talked into one by the sales staff. Nissan may have a great (or at least quite good) product, with many attractive features and selling-points, but without a 'proper' marketing campaign, in conjunction with knowledgeable (heaven forbid enthusiastic) sales people, they will continue to sell only a fraction of what they could be.

Fortunately, I suspect that between the economics argument, word-of-mouth about all of the reasons why EVs are great, and improved battery technology (++range), the value proposition will become obvious and well-known, and more and more people will demand such vehicles. Which might in turn encourage dealers and sales people to get with the program, creating the proverbial "virtuous circle". One can hope, anyway.

* As noted below, I went from the higher trim in 2012 to the modest S... and miss almost nothing.

ishiyakazuo said:
TomT said:
Go with your gut feeling, where I am, the Nissan HQ is right down the road and the local dealer is very connected with them. I had a chance to talk one on one with the Leaf techs and they know their stuff. But it sounds like your dealer is the kind that should not be certifying any Leaf with Nissan. From what I learned, there is a very long check list of stuff to become certified, but that doesn't mean the dealer can't cheat and just "check all the boxes" to make Nissan think they did a proper inspection. Get a Leaf tech if you can to talk to, otherwise, I agree, run the other way. :mrgreen:

And since I am throwing it out there, good advice from the Leaf Techs.

Check the emergency fuse in the center of the car, see if there is any evidence that it has been pulled (panel busted, screws rounded a little, etc.) The reason for this, many people have a "minor" accident (say run off the road into a ditch, bad fender bender/breaker with another car), anything that requires an emergency crew to come out, they have a safety procedure to pull the battery fuse as a precaution. You can usually tell if this has happened, even if no accident shows up on a car history report. Leaf techs see this when people try to trade in damaged Leaf.

Check that front gravel shield is not broken. Another one of those minor accidents that can ding and bent things underneath but hidden with a new shield in place.

Check for damaged rear bumper. Seems people get a little trusting of the backup camera and bump into walls, cars, etc. You can tell if a minor collision like this happened because the bumper might be bent downward a little. Not easy to spot unless you have another Leaf to look at to compare unless it is really noticeable.

Missing accessories, you don't think about this until after you buy the car or read the manual. The vehicle should have the Level 1 "trickle" power brick for charging (and it should work), the deluxe bag to hold it that attaches to the back, the tire pump, tire goop, and towing bar. At the front of the Leaf is a little panel that pops out to screw in a very large towing eye for chains, cables, etc. They spot those missing all the time because the customer doesn't leave it with the car or forgets about it at home in the garage or storage.

(2) Key FOB, they all come with two of them, but often you only seem to have (1) with a used car.

Manual for the correct year model, I know this sounds odd, but people often lose the manual and just buy a "Leaf" manual off of e-bay. My 2013 SV came with the correct manual and then another one for a 2011 Leaf, was interesting to compare the differences, but still keep an eye out for it. :lol:

Back