Follow my Negotiations (suggestions welcome)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpa2825

Just talked to the dealer I have been working with. Asked how he wanted to handle negotiations now that I am ready to see if I can make it work. He said to put it in an E-mail and he would review. (Much of our discussions have been this way.) My E-mail is below. I will let you know when he responds.

-------------------

XXXX -- first of all, I appreciate your patience and willingness to answer questions and be straightforward with me as I gather information on the Leaf. It is a bit different than any other car purchase I have made and has taken longer than I would have thought. That said, I think I have a better understanding of what the car CAN do and what its limitations are.

As a recognition of your helpfulness and patience, I would like to handle the transaction as follows. Let me know if this works for you.

I am going to set forth a lease structure and payment level that I can achieve. If we can do business on those terms, let's get the paperwork done. I think you've earned that "1st shot." If not, I will see if I can get that deal or a similar one from another dealer in the area. If it is not achievable, and the information I am getting from http://www.MyNissanLeaf.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and other sources is bad, I will learn that pretty quickly via rejection by the other dealers as well. If that happens, I will either readjust my expectations OR wait until JAN when Smyrna production ramps up for the 2013 model with the 6.6 kWh charger, potential thermal management system for the battery and better heating to take less of a draw from the battery.

PROPOSAL
- I will not use the L2 charger at this point, so that offer is of no use to me.
- $0 out of pocket from me at lease signing. Use the $7,500 Fed Tax rebate for all fees (acquisition, fee, prep, title, destination charge, etc.) taxes, taxes on rebates, cap reduction, etc. (This is important because any $ out of pocket is wasted if the car is totalled and the GAP insurance has to take over.)
- SL model with strong preference for Cayenne Red as the color
- 39 month lease (24 would be preferred, but monthly amount is too high)
- 15k miles per year (realize this is an increase over the standard 12k miles per year)
- Tier 0 credit (I hope) should provide a money factor of .00071 or so
- 15 cents per mile over 48,750 miles (15k / yr. for 39 mos)
- 38 payments of $350 or less (including all taxes, fees, etc.)
- $300 purchase option if I buy OR $350 disposition fee if I turn back in
- residual value / buy option of $17,222
- security deposit of $0

Please review and let me know what you think. I look forward to hearing from you and trust that we can make this work.

From what folks have been reporting, the L2 EVSE offer is simply a rebate for $X and doesn't mean you have to turn around and install an EVSE. So no reason not to accept the money. The only other remark is that common wisdom says you negotiate the price of the car first, then work on the lease terms. Doing it this way complicates things quite a bit.

This is way too complicated. Everything is too tentative and conditional. First you need to negotiate the price of the car. Give him a site to the $5000 below MSRP offers and ask him what his best price is. The terms come after you establish the price.

Cheezmo said:
I don't understand why anyone would want a 39 month lease on a car with a 36 month warranty.
It also costs you an extra year's license fees for those last three months. bumping the lease to 39mo from 36mo is most often a dealer trick to lower the payment without actually lowering the price.

Dealer responded last night to let me know that the residual / buyout I was using ($17,222) was based on the 12k miles per year. Residual / buyout for 15k miles per year is $16,839. He advised he could do $350/mo. at 12k miles per year OR $360 at 15k miles per year.

Indicated he would check for availability, preferring factory fresh over dealer trade if the delay would not be too long.

He E-mailed this AM advising he could get factory fresh Cayenne Red SL in about 2 weeks, did I want to come in, put the $1k refundable deposit down and do the preliminary paperwork? I stopped by at lunch and signed up.

He is getting price on center console applique, cargo organizer and cargo net. Will discuss before final deal. Didn't see anything else on the accessory list that interested me.

So far, so good. I hope everything else runs smoothly.

davewill said:
Cheezmo said:
I don't understand why anyone would want a 39 month lease on a car with a 36 month warranty.
It also costs you an extra year's license fees for those last three months. bumping the lease to 39mo from 36mo is most often a dealer trick to lower the payment without actually lowering the price.

I was up against a 9.30.12 "personal" deadline as KY taxes based on ownership as of 1.1.XX. In order to avoid 5 years of taxes, I needed to take delivery prior to 9.30.12. Under this arrangement, I will pay taxes in 12 (rolled into initial cap reduction), 13, 14 and 15.

Unfortunately, unless I get creative I will get "double taxed" in 15 if I buy it from NMAC. I pay the 15 taxes while NMAC owns it and I am Lessee. If I buy it in DEC of 15, I will also have to pay sales tax for the purchase in the same year. Quite a disincentive to purchase.

Cheezmo said:
Well if the dealership won't negotiate a 36 within the same ballpark you could always simply cancel the lease 3 months early, paying out 3X whatever your monthly payment is if you're truly concerned about 3 months operating without warranty. In my area most of the nissan leases seem to be 39 months.

Picked up yesterday. Everything seems to be smooth sailing and as we agreed upon. 38 mo. of $360.02 payments signed up for. Already answering questions from neighbors, family & friends. Generally favorable reactions so far.

davewill said:
Cheezmo said:
It's like everything you pick up in the grocery store these days, e.g. the pound of coffee that is 13 ounces, they have figured out a lot of people don't pay that close attention.

I figured there was just about a 100% probability I'd get stuck with some costly repair in those last three months.

Back