Flat Tire

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
garygid said:
Actually, we have the 89H, not the 91H, right?

Is the 91H better in LRR or some other way?

No, I doubt there's anything significant different. It's all they had in the right size. Maybe it's wrong on the website, or I can carry 3.4545435 pounds more now.

garygid said:
91H is rated to hold a bit more load than a 89H tire. Called the Load Index.

89 = 1279 lbs / 580 kg
91 = 1356 lbs / 615 kg

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=35" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The 91H may actually be a slightly more robust tire. If anecdotal evidence is any indication, the OEM tires may be, perhaps, a little fragile... Unknown is whether or not there is any change in rolling resistance.
Is the maximum permissible pressure limit on the sidewall the same on both?

drees said:
garygid said:
91H is rated to hold a bit more load than a 89H tire. Called the Load Index.

89 = 1279 lbs / 580 kg
91 = 1356 lbs / 615 kg

Actually, on the site, when you pull down the promotional pdf needed to get the rebate of an AMEX card, it shows the purchase must be in September to get the maximum $100 rebate. Varies by tire purchase. Oh Well

I'd be in for one if we can get a good deal...

garygid said:
During weekday business hours, http://www.onlinetires.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; has
an office open in Cerritos. They list our 2011 LEAF tire at about $90
(plus tax, and shipping if needed).

I have been meaning to arrange to buy at least 5 tires from them.

Do others want to try for a group buy?

For more information, those reading this thread might want to reference this one as well:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=6188&hilit=tire+repair&start=10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TomT said:
If anecdotal evidence is any indication, the OEM tires are proving to be a little fragile...
C'mon now, let's not cause another "LEAF Owners Up In Arms Over [insert favorite peeve here]!!!" brou-ha-ha in the press, shall we? It's not like the press needs a lot of evidence before beating up on this red headed EV. How many reports of tire malfunctions have we had. I can remember less than a handful. How many LEAFs do we have on the road? In the U.S. alone, it's 7,000+. What percentage is that?

Also, this is far from a "proof", but nobody has even bothered to note accounts of tire failure in the wiki. Tire failure is not even anywhere near the magnitude of the "AC/won't run" problem. (Remember that one?!)

Just wanted to finish up on my original post which started this thread. Nissan Serramonte in the SF Bay area now stocks the tires (I had emailed the customer relations manager) and also threw in a car detail.
Not a bad ending aye

Help! I did something for the first time in 57 years of driving, and I so feel like a total novice here. I hit a curb really hard, and broke the sidewall of my right front LEAF tire. Sure, I've picked up nails before and had the tires repaired, but never needed an "emergency" replacement like this. I got an AAA tow home, and I can get along without the car for a few days. I also expect that I can get the wheel off and take it somewhere, or I can certainly get a second tow (I have 100 mile AAA coverage).

From what I've read here it looks like onlinetires.com is my cheapest source for a replacement Bridgestone Ecopia, but where should I go to get it mounted? The corner gas station? The nearby Goodyear tire shop? CostCo or Walmart ten miles away? Would a Goodyear shop even mount a Bridgestone tire? How does this work, anyway? Do I order the tire first, or call the shop first, or does the shop order the tire? I feel so foolishly ignorant ...

Not to mention stupid for hitting the curb. [I cut a corner too close turning into a parking lot.]

Ray

Call a local tire shop and see how their prices
and service compare with http://www.onlinetires.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ???

Maybe only $200 or $300 at a dealer?

garygid said:
Call a local tire shop and see how their prices and service compare with http://www.onlinetires.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ???
Maybe only $200 or $300 at a dealer?
Are you suggesting mounting might cost $100 to $200 dollars??

I was just looking a bit further, and it appears OnlineTires only ships to my home! Tire Rack would cost about $18 more including shipping, but they ship to the installer, maintain a list of recommended installers, and can deliver more quickly. Maybe that would be a better choice. Mounting at the local repair shop they recommend would be only $24.

Ray

Ray, you might try calling the local tire dealers and see what they can do for you. I did a google search with tires "san jose" brings up lots of options.

Then, have AAA tow your car to them once you've made a deal and located a tire. If you have a jack in another car that you can use, the LEAF comes with a tire iron, so you could just take the wheel off and drive it to the tire shop.

My tire from onlinetires arrived yesterday, after being ordered Sunday, so about 4 day delivery.

TonyWilliams said:
Ray, you might try calling the local tire dealers and see what they can do for you. I did a google search with tires "san jose" brings up lots of options.

Then, have AAA tow your car to them once you've made a deal and located a tire. If you have a jack in another car that you can use, the LEAF comes with a tire iron, so you could just take the wheel off and drive it to the tire shop.
"Local" is Morgan Hill, not San Jose, and there is only one tire shop here (Goodyear). San Jose shops would be 15 to 25 miles away.

I ended up going with Tire Rack because they made everything so simple and clear, and said the tire would be delivered either Friday or Monday to a local shop that I know to be of very high quality.

I do have jacks I could use, even a hydraulic jack, and jack stands as well. But I'm getting old and lazy enough (73 and retired) that I might just call AAA again. This is the first time either of us has called their roadside service for at least three years. We might as well get something out of all that money we are paying them.

Ray

garygid said:
New standard (non-TPS) stem, mount a tire, and balance is typically from $20 to $30.
I was referring to tire AND mounting at the dealer.
Yes, I understood that, which is why I subtracted $100 from your numbers. But on the stem, can't they leave the existing TPS stem in the wheel? It's not like I've put 50K miles on it. (More like 4K, actually.)

Which reminds me, should I ask them to rotate the tires? Or leave an old one and a new one in front?

Ray

Hmm, I just realized. "Rotate" goes back to the old bias ply tires when we used to move the tires clockwise around the car, including right rear to spare, etc. I assume it's still true that radial tires are supposed to always spin in the same direction, right? So it's just a front to back switch on each side.

planet4ever said:
But on the stem, can't they leave the existing TPS stem in the wheel? It's not like I've put 50K miles on it. (More like 4K, actually.)
I don't see why not. As long as the TPS stem isn't damaged, they can leave it alone. I heard those easily cost around $130 a piece from the dealership.

Volusiano said:
planet4ever said:
But on the stem, can't they leave the existing TPS stem in the wheel? It's not like I've put 50K miles on it. (More like 4K, actually.)
I don't see why not. As long as the TPS stem isn't damaged, they can leave it alone. I heard those easily cost around $130 a piece from the dealership.

My dealer quoted $167.07 at the parts counter. He also mentioned that they did not stock it, and that he wasn't familiar with the part number, and felt that it was unique to the LEAF.

Back