Five Reasons Why I'll Lease

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GroundLoop said:
In typical Nissan lease terms, do they have the right to refuse sale at the end of the term?

Or is it your (contract) privilege to buy it out if you choose?

They can't refuse sale.

evnow said:
GroundLoop said:
In typical Nissan lease terms, do they have the right to refuse sale at the end of the term?

Or is it your (contract) privilege to buy it out if you choose?

They can't refuse sale.

I would read the lease contract carefully as I am sure there is a clause in there somewhere they can decide to not offer the residual buyout at the end of the lease. I am sure that they would not allow themselves (Nissan) to be locked into selling the cars.

Skywagon said:
I would read the lease contract carefully as I am sure there is a clause in there somewhere they can decide to not offer the residual buyout at the end of the lease. I am sure that they would not allow themselves (Nissan) to be locked into selling the cars.
I'll admit that I haven't seen anything definitive on this particular lease term -- maybe EVnow has -- but I've never heard of a consumer lease in the US that didn't include it. It's a standard provision.

The bigger problem would be if the lease was open ended, meaning that you would be on the hook for paying the difference between the market price and the residual. But open end leases are usually only used for business leasing.

The big question is, for how long are you going to want it? Some people seem to be convinced that they'll want it for as long as it will last. Some of those 'some people' will be right, others will be wrong and rue the day. Which will you be?

The next big question is, just how long will it last? (Either with or without a replacement battery pack.)

trentr said:
i've never leased before so correct me if i'm wrong but from my calculation it will cost ~$15,600 to lease for 3 yrs compared to $23K or so for buying it out right in CA and owning it for as long as I want. if this is the case, i'm certainly buying it. i don't see the logic of spending $15K and gone in 3 yrs.

If EVs don't become suddenly popular there will be a reason why. If such a situation comes to pass you might not want to be driving one.

kolmstead said:
... If EVs don't become suddenly popular, owning one might be the only way to guarantee that I can drive one for the next few years.

This thread seems to show that the people who want to buy are highly optimistic, and believe that the unknowns will work out in their favor. The people who plan to lease generally would prefer to buy, but recognize that the unknowns are just that - unknown - and and being pragmatic will consider hedging their bets.

One thing I haven't read so far is what might happen with the various rebates and incentives. With the tax credits and rebates excluded, this car becomes much more expensive for future purchasers. Will the market enthusiasm be the same for a $37,000 car as a $25,000 car (net in California)?

I'm guessing there is a bit of arbitrage there.

Another reason you'll lease is because you don't live in Texas, where you essentially pay sales tax on the car twice if you use the purchase option; otherwise you pay 100% of the sales tax on the full price, even if you turn it back in at the end of lease.

Perhaps the best reason to lease would be if your tax liability was less than $7500. The credit can zero out your tax, but if your credit is more than your tax they don't refund the extra.

adaminla said:
One thing I haven't read so far is what might happen with the various rebates and incentives. With the tax credits and rebates excluded, this car becomes much more expensive for future purchasers. Will the market enthusiasm be the same for a $37,000 car as a $25,000 car (net in California)?

I'm guessing there is a bit of arbitrage there.
Adam - this is the part of the equation that few have figured into it. Once US sales reach 200,000 (not until 2013 at the earliest, likely 2014) the $7,500 federal tax credit starts to diminish until it goes away. Availability of the LEAF (not other EVs specifically) will still be limited. Demand will likely be higher as awareness of all EVs increases. Add in the California EV rebate and if I choose to sell my car, the resell value may still be quite high (compared to what I paid for it).

Back