First Year Scheduled Maintenance

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We really don't know what other software bugs they may have eradicated in the VCM software upgrade so it seemed foolhardy of me not to have it done. Perhaps the battery management was improved, for example... Once one adapts to the "new" bars, it is really a non-issue anyway...

mwalsh said:
Also passed on the VCM reprogram. Was kind of pleased they allowed me to...figured I'd b forced into it.

Just a warning....everyone may already know this, but allignment problems must be done by the dealer within the first 12 months or 12,000 miles. I just found this out when I took my car in for its 12 month battery check. I'm at one year and 9 days. They were going to charge me to get my steering wheel alighment fixed even though it's been bad since the day I drove off the lot. A quick talk with the service manager and he authorized a "goodwill" fee waive (thank you Sunnyvale Nissan :D ) but he stated that Nissan is normaly very strict with their dates. As a goodwill juster of my own I'm letting them do the cabin filter even though I have the part in hand to do myself. They were even going to give me a car for the day but I declined. Cost of the filter replacement $69, battery report and inspection report are free. They did not recommend a brake fluid change at this time. I recommend making appointments prior to the 12 month cutoff just in case....

Ready2plugin said:
Just a warning....everyone may already know this, but allignment problems must be done by the dealer within the first 12 months or 12,000 miles.
How did you know you had an alignment issue? Was it tire ware, just the steering wheel, or was it the dealers inspection?

ENIAC said:
Ready2plugin said:
Just a warning....everyone may already know this, but allignment problems must be done by the dealer within the first 12 months or 12,000 miles.
How did you know you had an alignment issue? Was it tire ware, just the steering wheel, or was it the dealers inspection?

My steering wheel has been out of alignment from the time I got the car. It didn't drift or pull, but going straight was when the wheel was pointed at 11 o'clock instead of 12. Tires were fine. I figured I would just get it fixed the next time I was at the dealer. Unfortunately I forgot about it during the software upgrade and the next time I was at the dealer was 9 days past 1 year (I did call for the appointment on its "birthday"). Sunnyvale Nissan was great. It didn't take much to get the fee waived but I did had to ask. If you have any alignment or rattle type issues with your car, just make sure you get it in before the 12 month (or 12,000 mile) limit to avoid any problems.

Now she is all fixed, battery inspection was all good, and I'm once again pointed in the right direction ;) .

For those interested in changing their own cabin filter (part of the first year scheduled maintenance), I posted the procedure I used in another thread: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=3932&p=166628&hilit=cabin+filter#p166628" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also it's a good idea to check your tires ware on a regular basis. Here's an inexpensive and accurate tire depth gauge I picked up. And here's an article on how to read your tire depth. I'm keeping a spreadsheet of the readings so I can see the wearing trend over time.

I'm at this very moment being robbed for $250 for the 15K maintenance. The biggest item was the brake fluid replacement. I could have done the cabin filter myself but I gave up arguing with the service clerk about picking and choosing items from their "service plan". That was at 7:30am and I wanted to get out of here ASAP.

It's now almost 10:30am and according to them the technician is still working on the P1273 VCM recall which is taking longer than they expected.

I'm at Daily City Serramonte Nissan... Does anyone in the SF Bay Area have suggestions for dealers who know what they are doing with the LEAF?

ericsf said:
I'm at this very moment being robbed for $250 for the 15K maintenance. The biggest item was the brake fluid replacement. I could have done the cabin filter myself but I gave up arguing with the service clerk about picking and choosing items from their "service plan". That was at 7:30am and I wanted to get out of here ASAP.

It's now almost 10:30am and according to them the technician is still working on the P1273 VCM recall which is taking longer than they expected.

I'm at Daily City Serramonte Nissan... Does anyone in the SF Bay Area have suggestions for dealers who know what they are doing with the LEAF?

I've had no problems with Sunnyvale Nissan's service department. Did my 1 year....only had 10k miles, so no brake fluid. I paid about $60 for the cabin air filter because they were doing me a favor with my wheel alignment. Everything else was free. They even offered a loaner car for the day if I needed it.

ericsf said:
Ouch. Annual brake fluid replacement is complete overkill unless you're doing serious high performance driving. Biennial (2 year) is more than sufficient for 99% of the vehicles on the road. The brake fluid flush is probably at least 1/2 the cost of your service.

The Prius doesn't even have a suggested brake fluid replacement interval!

Took my LEAF in for the battery check today (about 13 months old so a little over a year). They told me a recall had been issued just yesterday and that involved them doing some reprogramming today. I asked for details but they didn't know. But they said it is different from the reprogramming last year (which I also had done). I wish I had more information to share but just wanted to give a heads up.

I had the same questions for the dealer and had no luck either with getting any useful answer. "palmermd" posted the answer here : http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=7861

omkar said:
Took my LEAF in for the battery check today (about 13 months old so a little over a year). They told me a recall had been issued just yesterday and that involved them doing some reprogramming today. I asked for details but they didn't know. But they said it is different from the reprogramming last year (which I also had done). I wish I had more information to share but just wanted to give a heads up.

I just got my car back fron Connel Nissan.
A couple issues, I made an appointment online, did not hear back, so I called to check and was told
"yes, I watched it being input". Went in and there was no record, they acted like it was my fault.
The did the battery check and update. The only issue was that the clock was not reset and they did not give me a copy of the report. The paperwork just said battery very high.

From Moderator: "Ouch. Annual brake fluid replacement is complete overkill unless you're doing serious high performance driving. Biennial (2 year) is more than sufficient for 99% of the vehicles on the road. The brake fluid flush is probably at least 1/2 the cost of your service."

I was told to keep the warranty in service that I need to have the break fluid replaced at 1 year or 15,000 whichever comes first. Since I have only 8800 miles, I suggested that $169 quoted 1 year service cost to change filter, run battery diagnostics and replace break fluid was overkill. Larry Miller Nissan Nissa Leaf expert said he'd contact Nissan and see if I could wait unitl 15,000 for the brakes and not void my warranty.

Does anyone know if I can wait until 15,000 for the brake fluid? I haven't heard back from Jason yet (2 days after he said he'd call back).

Thanks!

Take a look at your manual. Locate the "Schedule 1" ("more severe operating conditions") and "Schedule 2" ("less severe ...") schedules (For 2011 MY: page 7 of "773326-2011-Nissan-Leaf-SMG.pdf", entitled "Determining the Proper Maintenance Interval"). Decide (and be able to prove if you have to) whether you qualify for Schedule 2, whereby brake fluid replacement is not scheduled until 24months/30k miles per the above referenced manual.

scubasandy said:
I was told to keep the warranty in service that I need to have the break fluid replaced at 1 year or 15,000 whichever comes first. Since I have only 8800 miles, I suggested that $169 quoted 1 year service cost to change filter, run battery diagnostics and replace break fluid was overkill. Larry Miller Nissan Nissa Leaf expert said he'd contact Nissan and see if I could wait unitl 15,000 for the brakes and not void my warranty.
When I went in to have annual battery check, dealer didn't mention anything about having to flush the brake fluid to keep my warranty in force. Sounds like:

1) Nissan wants to be extra cautious since we don't have engine braking with the Leaf. If anything bad happens, they can say "We told you this needed to be done."
2) It is extra money for the dealer on a car that needs very little maintenance

This is the ONLY reason I can come up with! Two years is already being very conservative. Most specify three if they specify anything at all. The best method is to use a test strip or DVM to actually test the fluid...

Stoaty said:

Stoaty said:
scubasandy said:

This may be an all-around big issue. Dealers have to WANT to sell the Leaf, and there are extra steps they have to take in order to qualify. A dealer makes some money from selling cars, but they also make a good deal of profit from service/maintenance. Selling a car that has considerably less maintenance needs means less potential income from that car. Thus, less incentive to sell Leafs=Less Leafs sold=Less incentive for Nissan to put big bucks into the marketing and development of the Leaf. That sucks for us and all future EV sales.

No solutions here besides the apparent make-work being called required maintenance.

Back