First San Diego LEAF delivery to be December 13

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here you go....Tom picking up his car:

Tom_Franklin_and_kids_with_Leaf_t593.jpg

TRONZ said:
Does look far more relaxing....
The event at Nissan Design Studio was also low key and very nice--beautiful facility, zen-like water features everywhere, super fine food from Water's catering, nice speech by Tom, 2 Leafs on display to crawl around, stuffed WWF polar bears for everyone in goodie bags. My wife really enjoyed it, but it just made waiting for the car harder. She wants it NOW! :cry:

TT

hats of to Tom for a great speech and I agree, wasn't too crazy either and not too many people. Had some fantastic conversations with connected people.

Congrats again, Tom - I chose to leave you alone as it looked like your family was politely saying 'is this over yet?' - I know mine would have been doing the same in similar circumstances.

btw, I heard 'the noise' for the first time as Tom drove by on his way out - could have just been me, but it was much softer than I expected.

sdbonez said:
Congrats again, Tom - I chose to leave you alone as it looked like your family was politely saying 'is this over yet?'
+1. As much as I wanted to quiz him on the driving experience, I figured he was maxxed out on being the center of attention for the day. Hope he'll post his impressions here over the next few months.

His speech was very gracious. As a lifelong surfer, I really liked his metaphor of being the guy who just happened to paddle out and catch the wave as it broke on the shore, with the Nissan team who sweated bullets for years to produce the car being the force that generated the wave over great time and distance, like the wind acting on the ocean to propagate the wave a surfer finally rides after it has traveled thousands of miles. Very poetic and appropriate. They chose the right guy, IMHO, even if I'm jealous as hell that it wasn't me driving home in a Leaf last night. :cool:

TT

Found this link while searching for news about the first San Diego Delivery. So it looks like the honor can be shared by two cities in two states. I am sure the comment about driving it back to Colorado this weekend was made in jest ;)

BTW I am not trying to start anything with the post...just found it interesting. I believe Tom was deserving and will be/is a great ambassador for the Leaf.

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=169751&catid=188

ttweed said:
His speech was very gracious. As a lifelong surfer, I really liked his metaphor of being the guy who just happened to paddle out and catch the wave as it broke on the shore, with the Nissan team who sweated bullets for years to produce the car being the force that generated the wave over great time and distance, like the wind acting on the ocean to propagate the wave a surfer finally rides after it has traveled thousands of miles. Very poetic and appropriate. They chose the right guy, IMHO, even if I'm jealous as hell that it wasn't me driving home in a Leaf last night.
I certainly agree. Tom was articulate, cheerful, and gracious throughout.
He also explained a little bit about how he was interviewed and selected from the early adopters in San Diego. He had a genuine enthusiasm for the car, understood what it really means to bring to market, and the work that went into it.

Nissan did well. I know for certain I would not have been able to pull it off as well as Tom. :)

Overally, I'd say Nissan nailed it -- THAT is how you introduce a new model and kick things off. The open bar and top-shelf catering ("beef cheeks!") were unexpected. There were plenty of Nissan folks from all areas milling about, being friendly, willing to chat and answer questions. ECOtality was open and approachable, with real answers. The Design HQ site was tailor-made for that kind of thing. Very nice.

GroundLoop said:
ECOtality was open and approachable, with real answers.

..speaking of which, I think a write-up on your findings is in order. I noticed you had their CEO cornered for some time..and when I met him after you did, he said 'dang, you work there, too? Your buddy over there asked some hard-hitting questions' (or something along those lines) :)

Let's see..

Blink (Blnk?) chargers are not yet UL listed, but progressing. They expect first install in mid-January.

The residential units will NOT have the RFID access cards that the pedistal/commercial ones do. EV Project members will get an RFID card to use on the public chargers, for tracking.

The LCD display on the Blink is actually a Color LCD. The White/Black motif is a design aesthetic. The Help screen has some color on it.

So far, I haven't seen a production "UI". The unit they had was running a demo loop, and the one at LAAS was crashed/hung/disabled.

Yes, it's huge. I'm still not over it. It's going to consume a good chunk of your garage wall. In return, it is the most featureful EVSE so far.

The J1772 connector might not be from Yazaki. It's a different design -- lighter, maybe slimmer, without a chromed button.

The cord reel is passive. Use it, or don't use it, put it wherever you want. You just wrap the cord around it and hang the plug there. While the AV unit has a "receptacle" for the J-1772 connector, the Blink unit just has a lower retainer with no connector, much like a gasoline pump. I believe this is superior to the AV design, since you can just toss the handle into the holder without careful alignment.

Just remembered another note.

The Ecotality CEO guy, when pressed on the size of the thing, said "there's a very practical reason for its size... so that it can spread between studs spaced 16" apart). He went on to say that with their prior experience, a single stud mount wasn't enough and even placing a board between the two and mounting it to that had been problematic. He had stories like pulling too hard on the cable and the thing coming off the wall, etc. and said that the 16" spread was by design to avoid these problems.

Seemed reasonable... but it's still big :)

sdbonez said:
Just remembered another note.

The Ecotality CEO guy, when pressed on the size of the thing, said "there's a very practical reason for its size... so that it can spread between studs spaced 16" apart). He went on to say that with their prior experience, a single stud mount wasn't enough and even placing a board between the two and mounting it to that had been problematic. He had stories like pulling too hard on the cable and the thing coming off the wall, etc. and said that the 16" spread was by design to avoid these problems. Seemed reasonable... but it's still big :)

Big is a relative term...18" W X 24" L X 6" D isn't that big to me. It will fit nicely on my garage wall between my hanging bike. This is an Awesome charging station!

GroundLoop said:
Any speculation on how Reeler was selected for the first San Diego delivery?

I was told that I was first in San Diego to make a reservation. I didn't get to order in August because of a problem that I had with the web site and the EV Project. Rest assured that I am rarely lucky.

To the launch, that was an amazing day. I am still pinching myself. To be sure it is not a dream I have found about 5 excuses today to go for a short errand from the office in my Leaf.

It is well worth the wait! Hang in there!

reeler said:
To the launch, that was an amazing day. I am still pinching myself. To be sure it is not a dream I have found about 5 excuses today to go for a short errand from the office in my Leaf.

It is well worth the wait! Hang in there!
Tom, we are waiting for your impressions in the "owners" forum. Also see if you can keep a mileage log ...

Tom, enjoy your Leaf.It looks like your Ecotality installation was costly for you. (More than $1200. Was the installer able to put most wiring behind you walls rather than exposed on the outside of walls. If possible could you take a picture of your installation

ts31825 said:
Found this link while searching for news about the first San Diego Delivery. So it looks like the honor can be shared by two cities in two states. I am sure the comment about driving it back to Colorado this weekend was made in jest ;)

That is an interesting comment. I wonder what he really said to them. Having personal experience with just how wrong newspaper reports can get things, I have to imagine this is on the newspaper's end. Talking to Tom at the rollout in SF, he mentioned something about spending about half his time in Colorado.

Tom, looks like you have a zero emission sticker on the door, and not the metal emblem that gudy has. Is that because you have the eco package?

Back