First San Diego LEAF delivery to be December 13

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any speculation on how Reeler was selected for the first San Diego delivery?

Pure speculation on my part, but I am assuming that he was hand picked to get the first delivery, but then Gudy got his first when this forum made a big stink about him not getting the first one when he was the first to order. In the speech in SF it was mentioned that he is a patent attorney for environmental issues, and I speculate that he helped Nissan with some sort of patent and was moved to the front of the line. I could be way off, but its just a theory based on very little information and lots of speculation.

This is starting to get ugly.
i recommend we cool it. Tomorrow is a special day . We should keep it that way

I speculate that he helped Nissan with some sort of patent and was moved to the front of the line.

Waaa? That's pretty far out there. AFAIK, he was the first to reserve due to being in the right place at the right time when the ordering opened early momentarily because Critical Mess was Messing with it. There's no need to speculate.

palmermd said:
In the speech in SF it was mentioned that he is a patent attorney for environmental issues, and I speculate that he helped Nissan with some sort of patent and was moved to the front of the line. I could be way off, but its just a theory based on very little information and lots of speculation.

I doubt that very much. Seems like his order was really close to the front. An eco-related career is just bonus, and probably not all that rare in the Top-100 order list.

stanley said:
This is starting to get ugly.
i recommend we cool it. Tomorrow is a special day . We should keep it that way

Why is this ugly? Aren't you a little bit curious as to what Nissan uses for delivery ordering? Isn't there a clue here if a 9/7 order is the first car? That would imply that it sure as heck isn't order date. Must be Reservation date, or maybe reservation-confirmation date, or something we haven't identified yet.

This forum is thick with geeks and engineers. We're going to find a pattern in the data, and Reeler's #1 position is a valuable datapoint. Nothing ugly about it.

turbo2ltr said:
Waaa? That's pretty far out there. AFAIK, he was the first to reserve due to being in the right place at the right time when the ordering opened early momentarily because Critical Mess was Messing with it. There's no need to speculate.

Your referring to Gudy and not Reeler. Gudy was the first to order and there is no doubt about his position as first. The second delivery is the one we are trying to get more data about. Right now it shows a 9/7 order and he has the very first car built of all the reported VIN's. That is very unusual and we are trying to figure out how he came to become #2. There could be a very good explanation like there is a typo on the spreadsheet. I've seen many typos on it already.

palmermd said:
turbo2ltr said:

Your referring to Gudy and not Reeler. Gudy was the first to order and there is no doubt about his position as first. The second delivery is the one we are trying to get more data about. Right now it shows a 9/7 order and he has the very first car built of all the reported VIN's. That is very unusual and we are trying to figure out how he came to become #2. There could be a very good explanation like there is a typo on the spreadsheet. I've seen many typos on it already.

Hey.....it's only a car, for heaven's sake! Sheeeesh! :roll:

GroundLoop said:
Reeler ordered on 9/7, which places a whole lot of buyers earlier in the queue....There were others that ordered from Mossy Nissan on 8/31.
Nissan has stated all along that their delivery schedule is based on two factors: (1) the time the customer places their order and (2) the area where the customer resides.
Since Tom resides in San Diego, he would naturally skip ahead of those who reside in more rural areas that are not priority in the launch schedule. Remember that San Diego being a very EV-friendly city was one of the first to be selected for the EV Project, and naturally Nissan would give first priority to orders from these EV-friendly areas. This is what they have indicated from the beginning. I see nothing necessarily unexpected or unfair here.

johnr said:
GroundLoop said:
Reeler ordered on 9/7, which places a whole lot of buyers earlier in the queue....There were others that ordered from Mossy Nissan on 8/31.
Nissan has stated all along that their delivery schedule is based on two factors: (1) the time the customer places their order and (2) the area where the customer resides.
Since Tom resides in San Diego.

Maybe he was the first San Diegan (sp?) to reserve?

I spoke with reeler a bit about his experience while at the event in SF on Saturday. I'll let him give his own details, but it's my impression that Nissan is making some effort to allocate these first vehicles to people they feel will be good ambassadors under the crush of public scrutiny surrounding this rollout. I'm not sure about you, but I'm not sure how I would have handled being in the media spotlight gudy was experiencing while I was there.

jhm614 said:
Maybe he was the first San Diegan (sp?) to reserve?

That would make sense, but it's hard to tell when people actually reserved. The only recorded timestamp we have from Nissan is the belated Reservation Complete email, which sometimes took days later to arrive.

There are other San Diego buyers who ordered on 8/31 for sure, some from the same dealership. I'd believe any of them could be the first delivery. The whole 9/7 order just seems odd.

And for the record, I'm glad it's not me! Cameras, microphones, that takes a certain stamina and composure. I'd say something ridiculous and get quoted all over.

"Mr. Ground Loop, what did you feel when you were handed the keys to San Diego's first EV?"
"About 50 grams, give or take."
"Um, what?"

First San Diegan to order, priority for being a patent attorney working in environmental matters, priority for being a good spokesman, had his name drawn out of a hat ... I don't care. With 12,000 reservations in the first two days and production ramping up slowly, some of those 12,000 are going to have to wait a lot longer than others. And all of us who reserved after April have to wait a long time.

What I really want to know: Is reeler going to get hugged by a polar bear? http://www.sandiegozoo.org/polarcam/

Image of Family car, so ... a family with two younger children ... might be part of the hand-picking.

Area filter ceetainly, then one of the "early" Reservation date and time (not time of email response), then a suitable family image, then those with "abilities" or "experience" that makes them more suitable for the "pressure" of dealing with the press (media)?

In any case, it seems to me that the choices are reasonable, and sufficiently good.

Sounds like the right set of factors, garygid.

Throw in Dealership too, since I'm sure they want to highlight their leading San Diego dealership and most informed/supportive GM.

While this all makes sense, how did they collect this information? As far as I know, I never provided Nissan with anything about my family size, occupation, and so on. They must have called/interviewed the first-to-reserve candidates, yet nobody reported such an interview here. Maybe through dealership recommendation?

We have our ways of finding out.

There is a large database of basically all public records, house, mortgage, births, car registrations, etc.

You can be "looked up", but ...
probably asking the dealer to find out is easier.

MsLusty said:
I spoke with reeler a bit about his experience while at the event in SF on Saturday. I'll let him give his own details, but it's my impression that Nissan is making some effort to allocate these first vehicles to people they feel will be good ambassadors under the crush of public scrutiny surrounding this rollout. I'm not sure about you, but I'm not sure how I would have handled being in the media spotlight gudy was experiencing while I was there.

Welcome to the forum MsLusty! :D

FYI I saw a promo on San Diego Channel 8 (CBS) for a special program about the first LEAF in San Diego. I believe it is going to air tonight. I didn't catch the exact time, but the local news block is 5:00-6:00 and 6:30-7:00.

BTW Full page color LEAF ad in the San Diego Union-Tribune today, middle of Section A.

MsLusty said:
... it's my impression that Nissan is making some effort to allocate these first vehicles to people they feel will be good ambassadors under the crush of public scrutiny surrounding this rollout.

Undoubtedly true. Right or wrong, sometimes issues of "PR suitability" enter the picture, when mass media is involved. This is the same reason that Claudette Colvin is not the face of the civil rights movement instead of Rosa Parks.

TT

As anxious as we all are to have our cars, if you could have seen the mob that surrounded Gudy's car (me included) that is not how I would want to receive my brand new car. I would not be surprised if Gudy's car has some scratches from the experience. Sometimes it's okay to wait a little.

MaryC said:
As anxious as we all are to have our cars, if you could have seen the mob that surrounded Gudy's car (me included) that is not how I would want to receive my brand new car. I would not be surprised if Gudy's car has some scratches from the experience. Sometimes it's okay to wait a little.

Sour Grapes ;-)

BTW, anyone attending today's ceremony - can you snap a picture of the window sticker on Leaf ?

Back