First Public Charger in San Diego 6/16 Show up to Support!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm, wonder why ECOtality/Blink didn't email SD owners who have Blinks installed? They have everyone's email addresses and phone numbers - surely they'd realize the majority of people would be excited about this happening :?:

Randy said:
We need a way to ID other MNL forum members at the event.

Not sure if they'll be handing out name tags from the registered name list, but if they do, we could put an asterisk next to our name and that could be the start of a conversation with another forum member....

Any other ideas to ID members?
I've been on about this before. I've made myself name tags before. (This must have been some group interested in marine life? :D ) Anyway, I see two purposes, as you noted.
One--Hey, I'm a LEAF enthusiast! And,
Two--Are you on MNL? What name do you go by?

badgis.jpg

Our MNL names are going to be a lot more useful than our real names, I think.

My problem is, MNL doesn't have any identifiable icon. In my head, it's the "favicon", but I doubt that will mean much to anyone else. Still, like the asterisk, if we publicized it, then we'd all know.

Hmm, I'd like to make it, but it's a 27 miles there, followed by a 37 miles to work, followed by 12 miles back home for a total of 76 miles - most of which will be on the highway.

Might suffer from some range anxiety - being able to charge a bit somewhere sure would help alleviate that! If only there were some public chargers somewhere... :D Keeping speeds closer to 60 instead of 65 mph would probably be enough to give enough buffer to not worry. Could probably find an extension cord at work should I get there with fewer than 2 bars to pick up a couple bars.

This is great news and great timing. I volunteer at the Model Railroad Museum, which is right next to the Reuben H. Fleet, and have not driven my Leaf there yet because of range anxiety. :oops:
I'm in this parking lot at least once a month and am scheduled to work at the SDMRM next weekend. BTW the museum has some of the largest model train layouts in the world. Check it out when you are in the park.

drees said:
Hmm, I'd like to make it, but it's a 27 miles there, followed by a 37 miles to work, followed by 12 miles back home for a total of 76 miles - most of which will be on the highway.

Might suffer from some range anxiety - being able to charge a bit somewhere sure would help alleviate that! If only there were some public chargers somewhere... :D Keeping speeds closer to 60 instead of 65 mph would probably be enough to give enough buffer to not worry. Could probably find an extension cord at work should I get there with fewer than 2 bars to pick up a couple bars.

Drees: I plan to attend. I live in "Rancho Penasquitos, just west of I-15 and south of "Rancho Penasquitos Blvd. I have a 240V outlet in my garage, and you would be welcome to stop by my house on your way there (or your way back) for some juice. Just let me know. :)

Just received this email from ECOtality (too bad they got the city wrong under WHY):

Recently, ECOtality completed its 1,200th installation as part of The EV Project, and now will intensify the commercial and public Blink® charger installations. We'd like to invite you to join ECOtality executives, politicians, EV Project partners and fellow EV drivers at the Fleet Science Center in Balboa Park in San Diego on June 16th at one of the newly installed public chargers in the city.

Full event details are below, and we encourage you to drive your EV, and charge up at the event!

Will you be able to join us this Thursday?
Please RSVP to [email protected]

What:
San Diego public infrastructure launch event for The EV Project

Who:
Mayor of San Diego Jerry Sanders
Commissioner of California Energy Commission, James Boyd
SDG&E Utility Representatives
SANDAG Board Chair, Jerome Stocks
ECOtality representatives

Where:
Reuben H. Fleet Science Center in Balboa Park
1875 El Prado, San Diego

When:
Thursday, June 16 at 10:30 AM

Why:
Learn about the offerings of ECOtality's commercial chargers
See one of Washington's first commercial EV chargers in action
Mingle with fellow EV enthusiasts

jcesare said:
Just received this email from ECOtality (too bad they got the city wrong under WHY)
I just got it too.

Assuming I have a fully-charged Leaf by then, I might try to make it. Same range uncertainty as drees; I'll be singing that old Foghat tune, "Slow ride...take it easy...".

And who knows, maybe they will be telling us about public charger installs in Washington (state, that is)! :D

I reside in Rancho Santa Fe and range is not a problem for a round trip to Balboa park. In the Email they sent they said you can plug in at the Park, Off course, there will be plenty of chargers available to plug into for the scores of Leafs that will be there. :roll: :lol:

This just in: you won't be able to use the new BLINK commercial units without the BLINK RFID card. I'm sure you all have yours already.

(ducking and running from the room)

Jimmydreams said:
This just in: you won't be able to use the new BLINK commercial units with the BLINK RFID card. I'm sure you all have yours already.

(ducking and running from the room)

Boy, good thing that Jimmy guy left the room, otherwise - whap to the back of the head! :lol:

But I just know my Blink RFID card must be in the mail, about to arrive any day now - just like the way my Leaf showed up just when Nissan said! :roll:

At the recent SD Happy Hour, Andy mentioned that no RFID cards would be required for awhile on the public EVSEs.

Perhaps the backend isn't ready yet, not sure...

Wouldn't it be great if they pass out some Blink RFID kits at the event? :)

I spoke to Jan today at Antenna (pronounced Yawn - think Jan Hammer).

He told me a few tidbits about the event and said he'd be sending out more information shortly...

* There will be some refreshments at the event.
* There are currently about 25 EV owners RSVP'ed to attend, and one of them is driving from Ventura!
* There are 3 EVSEs at the event location, so charging opportunities will be available but limited.
* There are other EVSEs being installed in the park, but he wasn't sure if those would be live on that date
* He's not sure if nametags will be used, but I suggested it would be a good way to meet people. They'll see....
* He is investigating the question of RFID cards...He thought they were going to be provided soon...
* Regardless, we won't need a card to try out the EVSEs for the event.
* The speakers will last 60 minutes, but the event will go on after that.

It sounds like it's shaping up to be a great event....See you there!

Randy

Back