First New England CHAdeMO?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
charge said:
The QC in Manchester,CT is gone from plugshare as well. Hope it comes back. Need that one for the home to Worcester MA run

There are rumors of CHAdeMO and Superchargers coming to the Hooksett Welcome Center under renovation near Manchester. EDIT: nvm, wrong Manchester.

a test run of plug-in stations for electric vehicles will launch at the new facilities.

http://www.governor.nh.gov/media/news/2013/pr-2013-10-24-hooksett-welcome-centers.htm

The link is six months old, though. Time for someone in the area to conduct reconnaissance.

NYLEAF said:
I could really see some Spark and i3 drivers wanting this.

Sure, but if CHAdeMO is so important for them, wouldn't they have purchased a LEAF instead? There will definitely be some demand for such an adapter, but not necessarily enough to get someone to finance its design and production.

BMW doesn't seem to see a great need for public charging and pushes the REx, not quick-charging, for extending range. Ford and GM produce very few BEVs, most of which aren't quick-charge enabled. Perhaps Volkswagen, but when are their BEVs going to be sold in the USA?

Berlino said:
charge said:
The QC in Manchester,CT is gone from plugshare as well. Hope it comes back. Need that one for the home to Worcester MA run

There are rumors of CHAdeMO and Superchargers coming to the Hooksett Welcome Center under renovation near Manchester. EDIT: nvm, wrong Manchester.

a test run of plug-in stations for electric vehicles will launch at the new facilities.

http://www.governor.nh.gov/media/news/2013/pr-2013-10-24-hooksett-welcome-centers.htm

The link is six months old, though. Time for someone in the area to conduct reconnaissance.

I had a recent (march) email conversation with the engineering contact. I was pushing for broad (more than Tesla supercharger) access (the Tesla forum guys had an informal lobbying effort going)

"the plan is to provide accommodations for other EV's as you note. I will pass along your detailed insight to the developer as they are currently researching options.

the facilities are planned to be opened in the spring of 2015. Hope to see you there.

Dave"

I drove by (but didn't stop) a few weeks ago - they are still very much in the bulk of construction. that aligns with an opening in a year, per the email quote above.

charge said:

We hoping they have one, and just haven't figured out what to do with it yet. It seems Nissan is putting them up on Plugshare when a dealer agrees to one, but before they are installed.

MA has received 15 QCs and is working on siting near major routes, and coordinating with neiboring states. No word yet on when.

If NH, VT, and CT follow suit, we'll have the beginnings of a network.

In SW CT, some malls and stores are starting to install them. If that spreads, 2015 will be the breakthrough year.

I just came from the Nissan dealer in Manchester, CT. As far as I can tell, the Chademo is installed and running. I have never used one, and was not driving my Leaf. Everything looks finished and the screen read "Available: Tap card", though it is hard to see in the picture.

NYLEAF said:
Berlino said:
NYLEAF said:
Does anyone think that adapter could be hacked to allow SAE Combo-equipped cars (Spark, i3) to use CHAdeMO stations?

Tesla is asking $1,000 as a pre-order price for that adapter. Many Model S owners think it's too expensive, so I can't see a lot of Spark EV and i3 drivers paying for a similar one.
but I could really see some Spark and i3 drivers wanting this.
Yeah, only thing is the Spark EV isn't even sold in your region. It's only sold in CA and OR. And, its sales numbers are TINY (http://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). The Frankenplug equipped Spark EVs weren't available until either Dec '13 or Jan '14. So, the demand from them is not going to be real high...

cwerdna said:
Yeah, only thing is the Spark EV isn't even sold in your region. It's only sold in CA and OR. And, its sales numbers are TINY (http://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). The Frankenplug equipped Spark EVs weren't available until either Dec '13 or Jan '14. So, the demand from them is not going to be real high...

I know that there aren't more than a handful of Combo-equipped cars on the road, and let me make clear that I'm not some Combo fanboy -- far from it. I just like covering all my bases. Rumor has it that the 2015 Focus Electric will come equipped with the Combo plug, and we know the offering (e-Golf, I think?) from VW at the end of the year will, too. My lease is up early next year, and if the rumored 150-mile Leaf doesn't come true, I'll probably jump ship, either to a Volt or any of the other BEVs that are available in my market, most of which will probably be equipped with Combo at that point. We all know Combo is a joke, it'll never catch up to CHAdeMO installations simply because no one is installing Combo-only stations (except maybe GM?), but if I get a car that has the plug, I'll want an adapter to use the CHAdeMO stations.

Tesla SuperCharging supposedly speaks the same language as SAE Combo. I wonder if hacking the Tesla connector off their CHAdeMO adapter and replacing it with a Combo plug would be sufficient. I could see Ingineer (Phil) selling these for $1500 a pop to the small group of drivers that want it.

NYLEAF said:
Rumor has it that the 2015 Focus Electric will come equipped with the Combo plug,
Source?
NYLEAF said:
We all know Combo is a joke, it'll never catch up to CHAdeMO installations simply because no one is installing Combo-only stations (except maybe GM?)
GM doesn't seem to be installing them. Try looking on Plugshare for them in the US...

I read an article at http://www.driveevs.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; That South Portland and Portland will have DC Quick charging Station in the next couple of month
From http://www.driveevs.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Even in Maine, (at Cadillac Mountain) where dawn officially first arrives each day in the United States, charging stations are springing up. A coalition of diverse stakeholders, including Plug In America, the American Lung Association of the Northeast, the Conservation Law Foundation, Environment Northeast, the Natural Resources Council of Maine, Nissan USA and the state’s largest utility, Central Maine Power, has embarked on an EV Pilot with grant funding to install infrastructure and provide vehicles to qualifying local communities, organization and businesses. The “other” Portland’s DCQC will be installed downtown at the Fore Street Garage in April, soon to be followed by the City of South Portland’s placement of a Nissan DCQC at its Community Center. At the same time, matching grants are being provided to Greater Portland businesses and local governments to help purchase vehicles and hasten public awareness of the viability of PEVs. Workplace charging is scheduled at IDEXX, one of the area’s largest employers."

Back