First long journey

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hsilgnede

Got my leaf last Saturday and I've got to get to Dublin on Sunday Feb 3rd. The road is 95% motorway. The journey from my home to the fast charge on the motorway is 135k according to google maps.
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr...onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Carwings route planner doesn't seem to think it can be done. But the Leaf Energy App on my iPhone says it can.

I'm assuming full charge, no climate control (maybe short bursts to clear the window), economy mode. I will have to use the lights. Outside temp figures to be maybe 3-4 degrees C and rising to maximum 8-10 during the day. I have to make the reverse trip on the same day. Fwiw, to date I have been able to get 8km per bar of charge.

I do have some options to pull in for onstreet charging along the way but they will not be fast chargers.

So my questions are:

1) Is it possible or should I just leave it and take the ICE?
2) What speed can I travel at?
3) If I have to fast charge 3 times during the day, is that an issue. One would be on the way up, one in Dublin before I get to the event I'm attending and one in the same spot on the way home that evening.

All advice/input much appreciated.

OK, after editing my post twice. This will be my final answer:

Yes, I would take it.

If the destination is Dublin, and that's the only DCQC, then that sets you up pretty well for a good part of the drive home. I figure you'll need a mid-point stop in either direction to the tune of about an hour to be comfortable. Even more comfortable if you can stop for 2 hours. Are you sure there are no other DCQCs en-route?

Edit: LOL! Almost tempted to delete and do-over again. I'm looking at your map...do you have to go past your destination and into Dublin to DCQC? That throws off my estimation of what you need for that leg of the journey.

hsilgnede said:
Got my leaf last Saturday and I've got to get to Dublin on Sunday Feb 3rd. The road is 95% motorway. The journey from my home to the fast charge on the motorway is 135k according to google maps.

Green Race:

http://www.jurassictest.ch/GR/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Suggests that you will arrive with 0.3% of the battery left at 80 km/hr, with no energy used for climate control. Don't forget that wet pavement will increase energy use, and require a slower speed.

I don't know if 80km/hr is reasonable on this route, much less slower.

Three QCs per day shouldn't be much of an issue, especially starting with a 3-4C battery. However, to get to 100% charge for the return will require QC to ~90%, then L2 to complete the charge. QC slows down to L2 speeds and even less as the battery gets closer to full. The first two QCs you can probably charge to 80% or even less.

So yes, I'd say while it might be done, I wouldn't recommend it, as it would be serious hypermiling with very little margin, or perhaps two hour plus long stops along the way both coming and going for L2 charging. At 100 km/hr, looks to me like the minimum stops are about 2 hr, again not taking wet pavement or climate control or any margin for unexpected events into account.

I'd just drive the ICE or take a train.

OK, I think I'm getting myself overly confused over metric vs. Church of England.

135km is about 84 miles, right? And that's where the DCQC is, not Dublin? But Dublin is your final destination, yes? And the terrain between your home and the DCQC...? Looks pretty flat according to the Google terrain map...true statement?

So we've got to get you 84 miles. Then we can DCQC you. Then you gots to get to Dublin. Then on the way back from Dublin you can hit up this same DCQC? What's the distance between this DCQC and the part of Dublin you need to get to?

I still say that, if the terrain is pretty flat and your car is fairly new, you could easily make the 84 mile leg @ 105kmH and with a one-hour stop to L2 (assuming the same 16A = ~12 miles per hour of charging we get here). Now, if the terrain isn't what I think it is, or you'll have to use heat and wipers, then you'd have to increase your L2 charge times. And that's why I suggested two hours, for an extra 25 miles of cushion.

Thanks guys.

Terrain is reasonably flat, there are a few hills but nothing serious. Road surface is good, speed limit is 120. It will be early Sunday morning and road should be quite, I can probably get away with 70kph.

Ultimate destination is a hotel in Dublin airport for a conference. I haven't worried too much about that end because there's lots of fast charging available in and around Dublin.

So it sounds like I need a stop for a top up en route for an hour or maybe two and drive slowly and should be ok. The stop isn't a big deal for me, I'll get breakfast/dinner and maybe have a snooze. :)

Starting to sound like a long day!

Back