Federal Tax Credit

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had the same problem with my 2011 Tax Returns. I have been writing back and forth with the IRS for one full year now. And the issue is still not resolved. The $7500 tax credit was withheld, and I have been assigned a penalty of $1500 on top of that.

I have given the IRS every piece of documentation, except for the certification from manufacturer, which Nissan assures me was sent directly the IRS. Nissan refuses to give me a copy to attach to my IRS correspondence.

Any tips would be really appreciated!

thanks,
Krishna
310-210-8003

TickTock said:
Just got my Notice CP18 stating:

• We have delayed sending you part of your tax refund
    The refund check we mailed to you recently was not for the full amount of the overpayment shown on your tax return. We have delayed sending you the rest of your refund because we have questions about some of the items claimed on your return.

There is no need to contact us at this time. We will contact you within three weeks to tell you what you need to do to explain the items in question. At that time, we will give you the name a telephone number of a person to call if you need more information about this review. If we accept your explanations of the items in question, we will not change the tax or credits on your return. We will send you the rest of your refund.

My refund deposit was exactly $7500 less then what I expected so clearly the issue is with the Leaf rebate. AMT did kick in for me this year so I guess they think I shouldn't get any of it. Not really concerned - I'm sure it will work out. Someone of authority just got confused and they are trying to sort out the mess.

knayak said:
I have had the same problem with my 2011 Tax Returns. I have been writing back and forth with the IRS for one full year now. And the issue is still not resolved. The $7500 tax credit was withheld, and I have been assigned a penalty of $1500 on top of that.

I have given the IRS every piece of documentation, except for the certification from manufacturer, which Nissan assures me was sent directly the IRS. Nissan refuses to give me a copy to attach to my IRS correspondence.

Wow! I thought we were all done with that.

I got a phone number for a very nice lady at the IRS who helped me sort it out, but I'm not sure I have it anymore.

I kinda think you should get your government representative(s) involved at this point.

mwalsh said:
knayak said:

Wow! I thought we were all done with that.

I got a phone number for a very nice lady at the IRS who helped me sort it out, but I'm not sure I have it anymore.

I kinda think you should get your government representative(s) involved at this point.

If you are able to dig up the number of the IRS person who helped you, I would really appreciate it!! I also cannot believe the saga has lasted this long. My accountant is involved, but I haven't approached any gov't rep yet.

Has anyone been able to obtain a copy of the Certificate from Nissan?

knayak said:
The problems remain. I still haven't received my Federal Credit from 2011!

Again, anyone with a good IRS contact, please help me out.

Jesus! Really?

I don't know what you've done already. Search back through my posts and see if I posted who I talked to. All I remember off the top of my head is that she was Spanish. Ms. Martinez maybe? She had me fax a copy of my sales contract to 805 352 0395 to support the form. I take it you've already done something along those lines? Somebody mentioned getting their Congress person involved, and I think that might be a good idea for you.

Edit: I've seen in a search what you wrote about the manufacturer's certification. Here's what I wrote in June of 2012:

I ended up having to fax the purchase agreement. And the examination letter. For a total of 18 pages....Now when I phoned the IRS last night, they tried to tell me (as they have with others) that they needed the manufacturers certification that the car was eligible for the credit. But I was all like "But it says that right on your own web site!", and besides just how the f**k was I going to be able to get something that the IRS should already be in possession of directly from the manufacturer, and that's how we eventually ended up at the purchase agreement being sufficient paperwork.

Anyone have some information about the Federal Tax Credit for the 2014? I just purchased it and all...

Back