Fast Low Cost Charging - All EVSE Questions Answered!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check some GFCI outlets in baths or kitchen. With nothing plugged in ... do they make a "buzzing sound" (while charging at 240V versus not charging) ? How old are those GFCI's ?

("buzzing sound": think Tesla coil, Frankenstein's creation machine, ... just not as loud.)

I'd like to ask that this discussion of noise be moved to a new thread please, we are trying to keep this on-topic. The noise is not due to the EVSE.

Thanks!

-Phil

Had an electrician out to bid moving the dryer circuit to the garage in anticipation of delivery and the L1 upgrade. He wanted me to verify what is needed--one 2 pole, 30 amp, 240 volt circuit with a female NEMA L6-20 receptacle.

I'm working on getting hip to the lingo, but for now it's all greek to me. Are these the correct specs?

Thank you.

The L6-20 is a 20 amp outlet (hence the 20 on the end), so only requires 20a wiring and a 20a breaker. In fact, it's against code to use a breaker larger than 20a, although you are perfectly welcome to over-wire for possible future expansion.

FYI: I have announced that testing has begun on a prototype upgrade for the upgrade. =) It permits full level 2 charging on the LEAF. It still has the same L6-20 plug and will charge at max speed on the 20 amp circuit.

As I mentioned, It's only a prototype at this point, but my current plan is to offer this as an additional upgrade once rigorous testing is complete. Don't worry, There will be a way for existing rev 1 upgrade owners to get this as well for a nominal cost. I will take care of my existing customers!

Please don't ask anything else, such as when or how much. It's still too early to tell! I will not answer emails, PM's or anything else on this issue until I have more to share. Thanks!

I just wanted to let people know, as this will be the cheapest route for full level 2 charging, and the Nissan/Panasonic unit is by far the best-built unit out there.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
FYI: I have announced that testing has begun on a prototype upgrade for the upgrade. =) It permits full level 2 charging on the LEAF. It still has the same L6-20 plug and will charge at max speed on the 20 amp circuit.
.... Don't worry, There will be a way for existing rev 1 upgrade owners to get this as well for a nominal cost. I will take care of my existing customers!
Awesome Phil. Look forward to it and will continue to subscribe to this thread for updates about it.

Ingineer said:

I hadn't ordered yet... But once that extra feature is ready it will probably push me over the edge.

I have EVproject Blink at home, so I figure it was better to let those without a home charger get first crack at your upgrades.

At this rate you might have to turn it into a real business if you start to get many new Leaf customers looking to you first before other charging options.

Great News, Phil! :D :D
I will be watching for more details.

I have two Mod-L1 EVSEs that I would Up-Upgrade, since I use them exclusively for my LEAF charging.

Maybe we can call it the "Mod-L2" (present Upgrade being "Mod-L1"). :D

Ingineer said:
The L6-20 is a 20 amp outlet (hence the 20 on the end), so only requires 20a wiring and a 20a breaker. In fact, it's against code to use a breaker larger than 20a, although you are perfectly welcome to over-wire for possible future expansion.

As I mentioned, It's only a prototype at this point, but my current plan is to offer this as an additional upgrade once rigorous testing is complete. Don't worry, There will be a way for existing rev 1 upgrade owners to get this as well for a nominal cost. I will take care of my existing customers!

Please don't ask anything else, such as when or how much. It's still too early to tell! I will not answer emails, PM's or anything else on this issue until I have more to share. Thanks!

I just wanted to let people know, as this will be the cheapest route for full level 2 charging, and the Nissan/Panasonic unit is by far the best-built unit out there.

-Phil

Excellent news!

I will watch for details, and will now plan to send in my stock L1 charger for a single trip "upgrade upgrade" (upgrade ordered already, but not sent) when you announce the details, if that's OK with you, Phil. I just picked up my LEAF, and I don't want to be EVSE-less, and unable to drive during the shipping period, in the immediate future, anyway.

Let's stick with "Revision 2 upgrade" (Rev 2) as for terminology.

I've started a new thread to keep this clear of Rev 2 chat, so if you can, please help keep this thread tidy so we don't scare newbies! =)

Thanks!

-Phil

Apologies if this has been addressed somewhere I haven't noticed.

Are new from the dealer EVSE level one thingies in short supply? This upgrade seems like it will be sucking up a lot more spares than Nissan may be anticipating. If the thingies are in good supply can anyone suggest a good source? For example, a dealer that offers shipping and a discount?

mckemie said:
Apologies if this has been addressed somewhere I haven't noticed.

Are new from the dealer EVSE level one thingies in short supply? This upgrade seems like it will be sucking up a lot more spares than Nissan may be anticipating. If the thingies are in good supply can anyone suggest a good source? For example, a dealer that offers shipping and a discount?
Yeah, Phil at one point mentioned that he was waiting for them as they were backordered, and suggested that people who wanted a second unit might get it faster if they bought one locally and sent it in to be upgraded. I have no idea if that's still true, but have you checked your local dealers? It can't hurt to haggle with the parts desk.

davewill said:
Yeah, Phil at one point mentioned that he was waiting for them as they were backordered, and suggested that people who wanted a second unit might get it faster if they bought one locally and sent it in to be upgraded. I have no idea if that's still true, but have you checked your local dealers? It can't hurt to haggle with the parts desk.

Not yet, but I will check with a local dealer. I had hoped to find mention of an out-of-state dealer that was known for suppling them.

I have balked at buying a ~$2K charging station. I did the paper work on my Leaf today and will pick it up tomorrow.

My estimation is that the 110v charging will do about 5 miles per hour. If that is so, we can get by on our 60 mile daily commute with 110v charging. We're currently using a conversion mostly with a charger that does about 4 miles per hour.

mckemie said:
davewill said:

Not yet, but I will check with a local dealer. I had hoped to find mention of an out-of-state dealer that was known for suppling them.

I have balked at buying a ~$2K charging station. I did the paper work on my Leaf today and will pick it up tomorrow.

My estimation is that the 110v charging will do about 5 miles per hour. If that is so, we can get by on our 60 mile daily commute with 110v charging. We're currently using a conversion mostly with a charger that does about 4 miles per hour.

Units have been on a national back order but Phil should have a bunch soon that are on the way. In addition watch for a special announcement here on 16A charging very soon :eek: :shock: :D

Yes, apparently we have been buying up all they have from the distribution center in Tennessee. They are now on national backorder out of Japan, with some stock due by the end of the month.

We cannot keep them in stock, every unit we receive goes out almost immediately.

Also, I have been testing the Revision 2 upgrade and believe I can start offering it soon. I've tested it throughly at 16 amps, and even at 26.5 amps and had no trouble.

Please see the Revision 2 upgrade post for more details and to have your questions answered. I'd like to keep this thread clean, thanks!

-Phil

I understand you seal the upgraded EVSE well. Would outlets such as these be appropriate for aoutdoor use of the upgraded EVSE?

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpItmDspRte.jsp?item=42328&section=31985&minisite=10026
http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpItmDspRte.jsp?item=3154&section=10994&minisite=10026

Any specific recommendations for outdoor use?

tps said:
I understand you seal the upgraded EVSE well. Would outlets such as these be appropriate for aoutdoor use of the upgraded EVSE?

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpItmDspRte.jsp?item=42328&section=31985&minisite=10026
http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpItmDspRte.jsp?item=3154&section=10994&minisite=10026

That's a bit excessive and is a $50 outlet. The Leviton 2320 would be sufficient. I believe NEC would still require a weather resistant cover that maintains its rating when the outlet is in use; I wasn't able to quickly find a 1.6 diameter model though. The 4980-GY would work though.

tps said:

Those parts are fine if the door is closed, but don't help if the outlet is in use. Don't waste your money! Buy a standard L6-20R at Home Depot and put one of these on it:

-Phil

EVDRIVER said:
mckemie said:
davewill said:

Units have been on a national back order but Phil should have a bunch soon that are on the way. In addition watch for a special announcement here on 16A charging very soon :eek: :shock: :D
Picked up my Leaf yesterday and asked at the dealer for another 110v charge thingy. He said as soon as they get one, they send it off to be converted (presumably to Phil). And that they had two in progress. I was highly surprised because it is Nissan that has foisted off this whole J1772 $2000 home charging station scam on us and I would expect them to be opposed to any cost effective alternatives to their recommendations. I certainly would have expected Nissan to have supplied a Phil-like device if they wanted to be cost effective.

First driving impressions are mixed. I find the "miles to go" display of energy remaining silly and inaccurate. Is there a KWH or percent SOC display lurking around somewhere?

mckemie said:
...I find the "miles to go" display of energy remaining silly and inaccurate. Is there a KWH or percent SOC display lurking around somewhere?...

Common observation/request.

Miles remaining is based on very recent driving history so it varies dramatically depending if you just did city driving or highway driving. Best to just ignore that number and watch how many bars you have left. Sorry, no digital SOC right now.

Back