Failure to Understand Macro-issues for Recharging Networks

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SanDust said:
davewill said:
I would think that at home charging for apartment dwellers would be a MUCH easier nut to crack than battery swap stations, and perhaps easier than economically questionable QC stations
In many ways installing chargers at work, for retail stores, and for multi-family present the same issue in that the person or entity wanting to use or install the charger doesn't own the property. Of the landlord groups those leasing offices are the easiest to deal with. Generally they want the tenant to be happy, there is a long term lease, the dollars are larger, and the lease renegotiation gives the business some leverage, especially in the current economy. Having said that, they're not easy to deal with. At the other end of the spectrum are the retail lessors. They are the worst. Not even sure there is a reason for this, but anyone who has dealt with Westfield knows what insane PITAs they are (I laughed when Ecotality mentioned them). The residential folks are in the middle.

Bottom line is that getting these folks to install chargers is going to be a very long process and is not going to be easy.

If you're looking for the easiest nut then maybe condos. At least with condos the person wanting the charger has an ownership interest.

It's my understanding that a bill was just passed in California which says, in essence, that renters have a right to request and be provided with EV charging facilities. You'll still have to wrangle with the manager/property owners over who pays for what, L2 versus L1, and deal with the red tape of permits, inspections, etc. And if it's determined that the cost of installation is prohibitive, you might still be refused. But the parties involved can no longer answer your request with an outright No; they must at least go through due process.

Can anyone confirm this to be correct?

BetaMark said:
It's my understanding that a bill was just passed in California which says, in essence, that renters have a right to request and be provided with EV charging facilities.
You got me looking. I couldn't find anything about renters but did find this bill, which was apparently signed by Gov. Brown, that prohibits condo associations from unnecessarily restricting condo owners from installing chargers. http://e-lobbyist.com/gaits/text/347714" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Funny that I hadn't read anything about this. Seems like a big deal. Sponsoring Senator is Christine Kehoe. Cool.

I agree I think it is a condo rule to protect owners from unreasonable association restrictions. Apartments are rented private property and I don't think you will have much leverage if the owner says no.

The EV revolution has so far to go that devoting any efforts to apartment renters is a waste of precious resources.

The idea of apartment renting EV owners charging away from home all the time because their landlord provides no charging facilities irks me. The charging infrastructure is so immature at this point. If people who cannot charge at home take up all the spots away from home, the utility of the charging network will be compromised. This is especially true at this time when Leaf charging can only occur at trickle or 3.3kW/h.

Renters with no ability to charge at home -- your time will come. Keep your Prius for another couple of years. You'll get a faster charging car that might even have greater range, and you will have done the EV community a favor.

SanDust said:
I couldn't find anything about renters but did find this bill, which was apparently signed by Gov. Brown, that prohibits condo associations from unnecessarily restricting condo owners from installing chargers. http://e-lobbyist.com/gaits/text/347714" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Funny that I hadn't read anything about this. Seems like a big deal. Sponsoring Senator is Christine Kehoe. Cool.
Yep, that's the document I was thinking of. Guess I didn't properly understand the verbiage of it... thanks for the clarification.

BlueSL said:
The idea of apartment renting EV owners charging away from home all the time because their landlord provides no charging facilities irks me.
It's Nissan's own FAQ that suggests renters could use QC stations.
The charging infrastructure is so immature at this point. If people who cannot charge at home take up all the spots away from home, the utility of the charging network will be compromised. This is especially true at this time when Leaf charging can only occur at trickle or 3.3kW/h.
I see your point.
Renters with no ability to charge at home -- your time will come. Keep your Prius for another couple of years. You'll get a faster charging car that might even have greater range, and you will have done the EV community a favor.
It'll be tough going until there's a way of fully charging an EV in just minutes... hence the OP.

Delayed gratification sucks. :cry:

Back