EZ Charge Card NOT Easy....

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't followed this thread since I'm not eligible...
SJEVer said:
It is not easy to find out which stations are ones on the "no charge to charge" program. One cannot search the EZ-Charge website on an iPhone to find participating stations - must use desktop computer (Not convenient in the car!) :roll: Anyone successful searching that on an Android device?
Have you tried the Plugshare app? There is a filter for No Charge To Charge Locations on their web site, iOS app and Android app.

Even if you don't use it for that, you ought to use Plugshare anyway.

I tried to use my card for the first time today. Luckily I had my iPad with me so I could jump through all the hoops. When I finally got everything set up, Blink wanted to charge me $5.00, and ChargePoint wanted to charge me $3.00 to charge. Apparently my understanding of "No charge to charge" is different from Nissan's.

munseym said:
I tried to use my card for the first time today. Luckily I had my iPad with me so I could jump through all the hoops. When I finally got everything set up, Blink wanted to charge me $5.00, and ChargePoint wanted to charge me $3.00 to charge. Apparently my understanding of "No charge to charge" is different from Nissan's.
Were the stations listed as No Charge to Charge participants at https://www.ez-charge.com/stations/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ?

As I recall, Chargepoint is not participating in NCTC and Blink only has it on a very few of their stations - the rest are regular pay, but they are available with the EZ-Charge card.

Newb question:

When does the 2 year free period start? Purchase date or activation date? I just bought yesterday but I may wait to activate as I don't see myself needing it for a while and would like to start the 2 year period later if possible.

Also, I understand I'll need to register online for all the services individually but will I need to carry around multiple cards for each program? Or will I be able to access the non-free chargers with the NCTC card?

Thank you.

So, it turns out that after they turned my card back on, it turned into a charge to charge card. It was deactivated like 2 weeks after I got the car and applied to turn it on, then re-activated a short time after that when I called and complained. Little did I know (because the screen at my favorite Blink network Level 3 charger is in the sun and hard to read) that I've been racking up a large balance for my "free" charges after card re-activation. Anyway, I called again and they're working on it, again... I'll post again when it's "fixed", again, but a word of warning to those considering a Nissan Leaf based on the 2 years of free charging. In my experience they haven't lived up to what's promised, and it has been a big hassle to get them to hold up their end of the bargain. I've felt stranded and I've felt cheated. They have nice, polite customer service people, but, honestly, if I knew what a hassle this would be, the "no charge to charge" selling point of this EV would have been ineffective, and that might have tipped the scales in favor of a different EV.

p.s. The charge station is listed on the no charge to charge map. https://www.ez-charge.com/stations/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Below is my experience with Nissan and Ez charge, I guess the EZ-charge is a messed up program and Nissan is a messed up manufacturer.

Chelsea: Thank you for contacting Nissan LEAF Aftersales, my name is Chelsea. How may I help you today?
You: I received my free to charge card in Sep and I tried to use it 2 times, both time got charged
You: I want to make sure I can use this card, I spoke with ez-charge and charge point and no one want to clear this issue for me
You: so I am asking Nissan now
Chelsea: I would be more than happy to look in to this for you James. Can I have the VIN so I can pull up your account?
You: thank you
You: can you hold a sec so I can login to leaf portal?
Chelsea: Yes not a problem.
You:
Chelsea: From what I see on here I do show that you are eligible for the No Charge to Charge card. Unfortunately anything with the use of the card is not something we can offer further assistance with. You would need to email EZ Charge at [email protected] or contact them at 8443924274. We do not have access to see why you were charged at these stations but EZ Charge will be able to do so.
You: I did
You: and I did spoke with charge point
You: and car charging INC
You: no one is willing to resolve this issue for once
You: I believe Nissan offered the program
You: since no one can really resolve this issue
Chelsea: I would recommend contacting EZ Charge again because this is not something we can assist with. The only thing in reference to EZ Charge we can help with are sending cards to customer who have not received their card from dealer upon time of purchase.
You: so unless Nissan take out this advertisement
You: you are part of this issue
You: Nissan is part of the issue
You: otherwise take out this program
You: I have been emailing around everywhere
You: and getting no where
You: if you want, you can have someone from nissan who knows how this program give me a call
You: seems no one understands how it works
You: including ez-charge themself
Chelsea: We do represent Nissan the manufacture of the vehicle. We can assist with things in the service department of the dealer like parts on back order for instance. But this program was offered for Nissan customer but is managed by EZ Charge.
You: or I guess if you can give me an email address I can email to I can email the whole conversation over so someone can take a look
You: then take out this advertisement as it does not work as advertised
You: I found a free charging station from ez-charge website, go there and charge
You: and get charged
You: so I had to dispute over and over again
You: and each time at the end of the conversation, someone will tell me to find the other company to complain
You: what is this?
You: Or Nissan should contact EZ-charge and ask someone who knows about their own program to give me a call
You: i am like a ball being kicked around now
Chelsea: Well sir, if you used a level two charger for over an hour there would be a charge incurred or a level three charger for over thirty minutes there will be a fee to pay. The NCTC program covers the charge for a specific period of time.
You: no
You: it does not
Chelsea: I do apologize for the frustration but this is not something that Nissan the manufacture can assist with. We work with the vehicle itself.
You: I charged 20 minutes they charged me
You: I charged 45 minutes they charge me
You: all level 2
You: all listed on EZ-charge website
You: all even listed on chargepoint website
Chelsea: This is a concern with EZ Charge sir this is not something that Nissan can rectify. This is something EZ Charge will have to assist you with.
You: They can
You: ntt
You: I called emailed
You: the only thing they can do is telling me to go contact charge point
You: and when I contact charge point, the only thing they can tell me is to contact carcharging INC
Chelsea: Nissan does not own the chargers or EZ Charge or the NCTC program. This is not something the manufacture of the vehicle is able to assist with.
You: so stop advertise this free no charge program then cause it does not work
You: it is part of your campaign
Chelsea: I can make sure your complaint will be lodged but there is no further assistance Nissan will be able to provide.
You: and Nissan wants to take no part of this
You: so disappointed
You: will save this chat and post to share to other people who are having the same problem
You: I don't believe it is just me
You: search around and found many people have this issue
You: everytime has to dispute
You: or simply stop using this card like what I do know
You: now
You: anyway
You: I guess this is what Nissan stands for
You: Thank you

In my case, I made so much noise about it, with so many people, that eventually Blink credited me back all of my charges, and switched the most convenient quick chargers in my area over to the EZ Charge program. I have not had a problem since.

I could post my dialogs with these guys, but that would be too long. In any case, if you bounce back and forth between the EZ Charge folks and the folks who control the charger, eventually someone will give. For me, it wasn't about the money. It was about the principle. I decided I would continue to be a thorn in their side until they got it right, and eventually they did. Now I see a lot of other LEAF owners using the quick chargers at the locations I had trouble with, so...

Thanks for the reply. I did dispute and get back the charge but I don't I think I want to dispute each time I use the card.

I believe it is Nissan's responsibility to straight this out instead the car owners or "EZ-Charge" cause it is Nissan that is promoting this and getting the media attention for marketing purpose.

If you google, you will see lots of news/articles like the below.

Nissan Launches “No Charge to Charge” Program For LEAF ...

Nissan Leaf buyers offered two years of free public charging ...

Nissan launches programs to make LEAF charging free and...

I don't really see who is really behind this program, it seems that Nissan is the owner of the program. So if enough people file compliant to Nissan, they better resolve this issue instead of passing all the stress and hassle to the consumers.

I totally agree. They should fix it.

I do believe they are trying, though.

It's my understanding that the EZ Charge program is administered by the NRG eVgo folks, but that when you call EZ Charge, you actually get a different division. The thing is, rumor has it NRG eVgo has ambitions to take over all or most of the charge station market, and I think it's pretty clear that charge networks are being squeezed economically right now. Until the paradigm changes somehow, it's just cheaper and easier to charge your car at home, and you'll only really use the public charge stations in a pinch. So, it stands to reason that many of these other networks are finding themselves needing to play nice with NRG eVgo or risk not being bought out at a fair price.

That's all speculative, of course, but the EZ Charge folks, when pushed enough, seem to be able to flex some muscle with the other networks and get them to play nice with the program. I say push them, and don't let up. Keep pushing. You're doing it for the other EV drivers in your area as much as for yourself.

I hope all the leaf owners who are having problems with the free to charge part of the EZ-charge program to take this issue up to Nissan as well, not just the charging networks themselves. Nissan is getting all the attention for offering this but it does not work, the worse thing is that they want nothing to do with this problem.

Chatted and spoke to 2 customer service reps. All they can say is "Sorry, we are the car manufacturer and we have nothing to do with this problem" Only if they can say "Let us contact EZ-Charge and find out what is going on" I would not be as angry as now.

Why as a consumer I needed to be kicked around between all the parties involved in this program?

Post your complain on Nissan Leaf's website and hopefully someone will finally fix this problem

https://www.facebook.com/nissanleaf?fref=nf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ElectricMonkey said:
... the EZ Charge program is administered by the NRG eVgo folks, but that when you call EZ Charge, you actually get a different division.
Not sure what this means.

Even though I haven't had much trouble with EZ-Charge chargers, I did have trouble with their map early on and I emailed the address at the bottom of that page about it. I got a reply from an "Operations Analyst I" with and @nrgenergy.com address, so from that it appears that they are definitely taking care of the program.

gatonekomao said:
I don't really see who is really behind this program, it seems that Nissan is the owner of the program. So if enough people file compliant to Nissan, they better resolve this issue instead of passing all the stress and hassle to the consumers.

It is fraud plain and simple. Nissan can claim it is someone else's problem all day long, but they have really disingenuous marketing with their name all over it.

I would recommend that if you are not quickly satisfied that you file a complaint with your state's attorney general, and follow up with your representative. Just a few calls from big wigs will be worth much more than dozens of Facebook complaints or angry chat sessions with a support drone. Frankly I am surprised that some bottom sucking lawyer hasn't already started a class action suite over it.

Started a complaint on fb. Course they are claiming that its a "timing issue" despite the fact that Blink is now acknowledging that they are charging people when they shouldn't.

Feel free to pile on here

https://www.facebook.com/nissanusa/posts/10154821665625375?comment_id=10154823864510375&offset=0&total_comments=7&notif_t=feed_comment" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have what may or may not be an ez-charge issue. I bought a Leaf yesterday, and this morning I tried to register on the ez-charge website, and it said my Vin wasn't valid.

Not sure if there is a time lag where the dealership has to input my Vin somewhere to put it in the system, but they didn't mention that yesterday when I was picking it up...

I noticed when I entered my VIN that their number for '0' looked a whole lot like their letter for 'O'. I can't remember which it looked like they excluded from VINs, but try switching the letters to numbers or vice versa and you might find that you're good to go.

If that doesn't work, I would call up the sales manager at your dealership and tell him to get it working for you.

Took advantage of the "No Charge to Charge" program for the first time on Christmas day and got charged 2 cents/30 seconds. It was a Blink station that is listed on https://www.ez-charge.com/stations/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

I emailed Blink and no reply, contacted my credit and got all 92 cents back. :shock:

I have had some success with the program, but it remains difficult to use. eVgo stations have generally worked, but Blink are very unreliable and mostly not free as near as I can tell.
The PlugShare filter and the EZ Charge website map do not precisely correlate, so neither one can be used as a definitive reference.

I had trouble finding answers to the intervals required between sessions, so thought I would post the reply I finally received from eVgo (for their stations at least).

I have the no charge to charge plan. I have the following questions:
1. Are all eVgo chargers included on the plan for free?
2. How long is the free session for the level 2 chargers?
3. How long must I wait before starting another free charging session at the same charging location?
4. How long must I wait before starting another charging session at another location?
5. Can I charge for 30 mins on a quick charger, then start a free level 2 session immediately at the same location?
6. Is there a way to tell when I am being charged money for the session?

1. No, not all eVgo chargers are part of the No Charge to Charge program. You can visit Plugshare and verify which chargers are listed as part of the No Charge to Charge program.

2. 1 hour for Level 2 charging.

3. 24 hours if you are wanting a free session at the same location.

4. As soon as your done with your previous session at another location.

5. Yes, you can go from DC to L2.

6. Yes, after 30 minutes of DC Charging you will be charged and after 1 hour of Level 2 you will be also be charged.

NOTE: The charging will go based on the plug in time, so if you are charging at a mall please make sure to return to the charger and disconnect it before or by the time ending if you are wanting to prevent any charges to your credit card.

Thank you,

Your friends at NRG eVgo

I can't even register for the program, it says the last 6 digits of my VIN are not valid. Emailed EZ-charge support, will see what they say.

Back