External temperature delay ...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sp4rk

My Leaf, when parked indoors says, for example 70 degrees outside temp.

It's 100 degrees outside the garage.

But it takes the readout at least 15-20 minutes of driving to become accurate.

I also noticed this in my last car.

Anyone else have this problem?

It is not really a problem. It is set for a delay so that every time you go in the shade or such it is not jumping
all over the place.

etracing said:
It is not really a problem. It is set for a delay so that every time you go in the shade or such it is not jumping
all over the place.
There's a huge difference between jumping around and a 20 minute delay. I am not saying it a real problem, just a nuisance.

Depending on the size and mass of the temperature sensor, its response time to temperature changes may be quite slow. I'm pretty confident that Nissan didn't put a lot of money into installing a high-response-time temperature sensor for measuring outside air temp.

Another thing to consider is that if the sensor gets wet, it may cool off to close to the dewpoint (actually, to the "wet bulb temperature" to be exact, which is a couple of degrees higher than the dewpoint). Once the sensor dries out, it will measure actual air temperature again, after whatever delay is required to warm the sensor up.

This had been brought up several time before here.

This is my third car with an external temperature display. All have behaved the same way. It's not a defect, nor is it an attempt by the manufacturer to cut costs. It would probably be cheaper to install a "fast acting" thermometer.

The car doesn't measure ambient temperature per se. You don't want it to take a reading from your parked car in the shade, then be flabbergasted a few seconds later when you drive over some baked asphalt and find the outside temperature is 120 degrees. Rather, it samples the air flow -as the car moves-, and even then makes a running average so not to display transient changes (eg, you get behind a bus or a truck). You have to be moving for it to change anything.

I have found the temp display to be quite accurate, and the faster the car is moving, the quicker it gets to the correct temp.

Back