EVSE Upgrade

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ingineer: I am guessing that the OP relates to Nissan's new 2013 portable EVSE that comes with the 2013 Leaf and not for 2011 or 2012 Leafs. If so, I have these three questions that I have not seen answers for yet:

1) Does it perform thermal monitoring at its 120v plug -- discontinuing charging if the temperature becomes too high (the 2013 Leaf Owner's Manual suggests that it does)?
2) If so, does the EVSEUpgrade unit maintain this same thermal monitoring functionality with its NEMA L6-20p replacement plug?
3) If so, is there any way to extend this thermal monitoring functionality to the plug on an adapter pigtail, say a Nema 5-15p to Nema L6-20r adapter?

Thanks!

You are likely not getting some responses because users that use the "foe" feature do not see your posts. Users have contacted me asking how to block your posts and likely have done so.

EVDRIVER: That is fine with me if people for whatever reason choose not to see my posts, although I regret Ingineer has chosen to do so with mine. I don't think my just previous post is off-topic or offensive, however.

In reading the 2013 Leaf Owner's Manual I (and no doubt others) notice that the description of the operation of the portable Level 1 EVSE that comes with the Nissan Leaf has changed slightly, but in a significant way. According to this documentation it appears that starting in 2013 this EVSE (notably physically narrower than the previous ones and aka Nissan US model 29690-3NF0A cordset) monitors its input NEMA 6-15p plug for high temperature (and presumably terminating charging if some threshold temperature is reached), which seems to be a useful safety enhancement.

Receptacles over time can lose their capacity to make a good connection with a plug (mainly from loose fit and corrosion, I think) raising the resistance of the connection(s) (and possibly resulting in electrical arcing) which can lead to high temperatures at the connection point(s), enough to damage the receptacle, plug, and nearby wiring insulation.

So my questions to Ingineer related to
1) did in fact these new portable 2013 EVSEs seem to have plug temperature monitoring in some manner from his examining its plug, etc?
2) If 1) is so, was he able to provide this same (or similar) "input plug temperature monitoring" enhancement with his 2013 EVSE Upgrade units which have a NEMA L6-30p plug?
3) If 2) is so, is there a means to extend some "input plug temperature monitoring" to a pigtail (or other adaptor) plug attached to his L6-30p plug?

It is Ingineer's choice whether or not to respond to these questions, but I hope he will -- if not to me, then to someone else.

I am newbleafie and trying to decide if it's worth upgrading. I have been pleasantly surprised by how fast I can charge at 120v, but if I could swap my EVSE for a Philified upgraded one, I'd have to do it, right? (Although my brother the chemist tells me the slower the charge the longer the battery life -- any truth to that?)

So, Phil, how do I find out if there are any swappers near Plainfield, Indiana? My EVSE is brand new (used it like 3 or 4 times).

Btw, your FAQ on leasing has two typos: "It would be far batter [sic] and [sic] to have it swapped out" -- but when you think of the huge $$$ you have saved people, you get a pass. :)

Humberto

barretoh said:
... (Although my brother the chemist tells me the slower the charge the longer the battery life -- any truth to that?) ...
There is, but L2 is still pretty darned slow, and the difference from L1 isn't meaningful. It takes DCQC to charge fast enough to heat the battery significantly.

barretoh said:
I am newbleafie and trying to decide if it's worth upgrading. I have been pleasantly surprised by how fast I can charge at 120v, but if I could swap my EVSE for a Philified upgraded one, I'd have to do it, right? (Although my brother the chemist tells me the slower the charge the longer the battery life -- any truth to that?)

So, Phil, how do I find out if there are any swappers near Plainfield, Indiana? My EVSE is brand new (used it like 3 or 4 times).

Btw, your FAQ on leasing has two typos: "It would be far batter [sic] and [sic] to have it swapped out" -- but when you think of the huge $$$ you have saved people, you get a pass. :)

Humberto
FWIW. I am very pleased with my unit, even though after doing the math it may have been the wisest choice

davewill said:
barretoh said:
... (Although my brother the chemist tells me the slower the charge the longer the battery life -- any truth to that?) ...
There is, but L2 is still pretty darned slow, and the difference from L1 isn't meaningful. It takes DCQC to charge fast enough to heat the battery significantly.
that is not what I've experienced. L1 can take 14+ hours to get 80% my upgraded unit does that in 4.5 or so hours.

apvbguy said:
davewill said:
barretoh said:
that is not what I've experienced. L1 can take 14+ hours to get 80% my upgraded unit does that in 4.5 or so hours.
Their point is that L2 is charging the battery very slow compared to the capacity of the battery, not your sense of time. L2 is still slow enough that it's not causing any significant amount of heating. Whereas DCQC definitely is charging fast enough to heat the battery.

Thinking about exterior mounting for an EVSE Upgrade. Would welcome seeing photos from those of you have done this as I consider how to be as weather proof (Oregon rain) as possible, while also being convenient and maybe a little bit clever. Thanks in advance.

The EVSE itself is water-resistant, but the AC connection is definitely not, so some protection is warranted. It definitely can't hurt to enclose the "brick" though. Quite a few of our customers have mounted fiberglass NEMA enclosures on a wall outside directly over their outlet, or ran the conduit for the outlet inside the housing. Get a housing large enough to comfortably hold the EVSE. You can mount a hook inside that allows you to hang the brick by one of it's "ear" holes. They even have options such as locking doors and clear viewing windows so you can still see the status LED's. Just cut a small notch in the bottom of the door and then the door can still latch while charging. It's also handy, as you can loop the long cable to the handle over the box when not in use.

This one has the window, and can also take a padlock:
AMU1206LWF%20SM.jpg

-Phil

I had no problem turning in my Nissan EVSE upgraded to an OpenEVSE unit. I think they just want something in the storage case.

Ingineer said:
Cbciv said:
First off, I love this unit. It gives me the flexibility to charge slow to conserve batt life, or fast when I am in a hurry. Moreover, it is a cheap install. So, thank you, Phil!

One poster said that at the end of our lease we could just send the upgrade back to Phil to get a stock unit back for trade in. Obviously, i'd like to keep it for the next one, if possible. A. (For Phil) Is that a service you offer? B. What experience have any of you heard of for people trading in their Leaf with the upgraded EVSE?

I imagine when the 2015 rolls around, it might need a new type of upgrade unit anyway. But, just curious.
We offer a free "downgrade" service for Leaseholders. (see this) To date, we have had to do zero of these downgrades. So far, we've been able to put the owner in touch with someone near them who was willing to do a swap, and PAY THEM! Your upgraded unit is worth $ on the market, so if you can, I recommend you make some $ off it. Barring that, we'll do your downgrade.

We've had quite a few people report that they just turned in the upgraded unit at the end of the lease with the 120V adapter attached and had no issues. I'm sure the next owner will appreciate the free gift! I wouldn't recommend this though!

-Phil

Back