EVSE Upgrade - Which Adapters to Get?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, that's how I did it as well. The "Camco" 14-50 plug has a clamshell design and the blades are removable.

41nCj4R7bjL._SL110_.jpg

-Phil

Does anyone know what 240V AC plug configuration is "standard" for the Tesla Sedan EVSE? I visit a place where a fellow has the Tesla, but I didn't check to see what plug he has and it would serve me well when going to meetings, as the drive is out of my single charge range.

JimSouCal said:
Does anyone know what 240V AC plug configuration is "standard" for the Tesla Sedan EVSE? I visit a place where a fellow has the Tesla, but I didn't check to see what plug he has and it would serve me well when going to meetings, as the drive is out of my single charge range.
The same as being discussed; a NEMA 14-50. You can see it in this picture:
DSC0022_1024x1024.jpg

-Phil

dgpcolorado said:
davewill said:
kayakplayer said:
... I'm going to pull 50' of 2 wire x 10 gauge cable and install a receptacle in the garage wall, but before I do, would an L6-30R or L6-50R work with the L6-20P without an adapter? The diagrams make it look like they might unless spacing varies somehow. If they work, I might put in an L6-30R and 30 Amp breaker since I'm pulling the copper rated for those. ...
No. If you want to plug in without an adapter, use an L6-20r. Otherwise plan on making an adapter.
I agree. I purchased an L6-30P to L6-20R adapter because a motel I charge at has an L6-30 outlet.

Although the two look similar, the L6-30 plug is larger than the L6-20 plug. (This is necessary to prevent the use of an L6-30 plug in an L6-20 outlet, a safety hazard. Same for L6-50, although my impression is that configuration is no longer used.)
Here's a link to amazon, but a bit pricy:
http://www.amazon.com/PowerFig-PFL63012L62012-Adapter-L6-30-Connector/dp/B000JCNBL4/ref=pd_cp_hi_2

Ingineer said:
JimSouCal said:
The same as being discussed; a NEMA 14-50.
Thanks, wanted to be certain...

essaunders said:
How did you deal with the strain relief clamp on the Camco? Even on the smallest setting it didn't seem to grab your pigtail cable OD very well.
When I had that problem (on a different plug), I sliced open a piece of the stripped cable outer sheaf, and wrapped it around the cable at that point to thicken it to the point where the strain relief would clamp down.

JimSouCal said:
Ingineer said:
JimSouCal said:
The same as being discussed; a NEMA 14-50.
Thanks, wanted to be certain...
It's not certain. Tesla sells adapters for lots of outlets. The 14-50 is the 240v adapter that the car comes with, but he could be using most anything. I'd ask him.

davewill said:
essaunders said:
How did you deal with the strain relief clamp on the Camco? Even on the smallest setting it didn't seem to grab your pigtail cable OD very well.
When I had that problem (on a different plug), I sliced open a piece of the stripped cable outer sheaf, and wrapped it around the cable at that point to thicken it to the point where the strain relief would clamp down.
That's a brilliant idea. On one of mine I used a thick zip tie but if it got very much use it would certainly not provide enough support. I wondered what others did.

Back