EVSE Station for Office

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BL66SSIMP

I've talked my company into putting in a few charging stations and need some advice. We are in an office complex where they units will need to be outside, mounted on an exterior wall. We have no access control, so we need to limit access to employees or use one of the systems that charge a buck an hour, etc.

Any suggestions on where to start with this. They will do it, but I need to put together the details.

I would get in touch with Gary Teate from Nissan. He's working on workplace charging projects and probably has some good ideas.

[email protected]

Gary also often attends meetings of the EV Club of the South at Manuel's at 6pm on the third Wednesday of every month.

There a couple of main ways to go. The first is where you contract with a company who runs a network (Chargepoint and Blink are examples). They do all the maintenance and either charge you fees, or take part of the fees the unit charges. The other way is to purchase the units outright (examples are GE Wattstations and PEPStation) where the units connect to a PC on site, and can accept either credit cards or cards/fobs that your company issues. You can charge fees for access or simply hand cards/fobs out to employees and guests that need access.

A third choice (lower tech yet) is to buy a generic outdoor capable unit that doesn't have any access cards and restrict access by some other means...gate, padlock, security unplugging cars that don't have a "pass" on the dash, etc...

Some good answers already.

Some things to investigate/decide:

What's the supply situation? Are you near a transformer or supply cabinet?

What's the demand? Are people parked for a short while or for hours. What would fulfill driver's needs, L1@12A, L2@16A, L2@30A? L1 is sort of given short shrift, but maybe a half-dozen L1s would work better in your situation than a couple L2s.

And another access control solution to consider is Liberty Plug-In's time-based access keypads. No wiring needed:
http://www.libertyplugins.com/page.php?id=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back