EVSE Installation, Info and Cost Comparison Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also will NOT use AV for an EVSE. I don't mind using the AV charging dock but they will not be invited to install it. I actually prefer the Leviton but who knows when that will be available.

Not getting an EVSE from anyone before I have the Leaf. Hopefully the EVSE I already have will work just fine with the Leaf. Just waiting to hear back from Clipper Creek with a quote for a new cable and plug.

hill said:
I'm wondering how cool a deal a bunch of us in L.A. / S.D. and O.C. counties could pick a batch of these up for. I got transportation large enough to hold at least 2 dozen of these goodies.
Is anyone game?
;)

I would be game. I am in LA and would love to get in on a group buy. Assuming we get a good price on a good ESVE. Let me know what you find out.

-Peter

garygid said:
I intend to go through the ordering process without an EVSE install evaluation even scheduled. If they unreasonably insist that I need one, I will simply not buy their car.

I will probably get a plug-in L2 EVSE later, but NOT via the AV "assessment" process.

Are there others of similar mind?
I went ahead with the assessment just to convince Nissan that I was serious about their car, even though I was pretty sure I was burning a Franklin to do it.

I might install an L2 EVSE later, probably hard-wired if so, but I really expect to be able to get along with only L1 charging.

planet4ever said:
garygid said:
I intend to go through the ordering process without an EVSE install evaluation even scheduled. If they unreasonably insist that I need one, I will simply not buy their car.

I will probably get a plug-in L2 EVSE later, but NOT via the AV "assessment" process.

Are there others of similar mind?
I went ahead with the assessment just to convince Nissan that I was serious about their car, even though I was pretty sure I was burning a Franklin to do it.

I might install an L2 EVSE later, probably hard-wired if so, but I really expect to be able to get along with only L1 charging.

Yes, you burned $100 just to be insulted but at least you can be added to the list of people who will likely say no.

EVDRIVER said:
Yes, you burned $100 just to be insulted but at least you can be added to the list of people who will likely say no.

Weren't they supposed to get your quote in a certain time frame? If they were and they DIDN'T, I'd call my credit card company and dispute the charge. You most certainly did NOT get what you paid for.

Watch AV squirm over people doing that!!! :twisted:

Jimmydreams said:
EVDRIVER said:

Weren't they supposed to get your quote in a certain time frame? If they were and they DIDN'T, I'd call my credit card company and dispute the charge. You most certainly did NOT get what you paid for.

Watch AV squirm over people doing that!!! :twisted:

I intend to call AV next week one last time over their quote and give them a chance to explain why it is so high without a bunch of BS and asking me to spend time writing them a letter. If they won't do that I will ask for a refund because the assessment took none of the variables into account in any way and it was excessively late for a cookie cutter bid, not to mention they rescheduled me and promised if I did I would be "fast tracked". I would hate to see the slow track:)

I sucked it up and called AV to release my quote. It was worth $100 just to see how bad it was and at least see some kind of change in my Nissan account. :lol:

So, it was as expected for a basic install.....$2222.85.

Observations:

Sales tax $63.10 - Just on the unit. None on any part of the installation, not even materials. So that's good.

Shipping $49.95 - I'm guessing it will be shipped in advance of the electrician coming out to install it. Actually, that might tick me off...if the electrician shows up with it on his truck.

Permit $95 - pretty sure permits in my neck of the woods are slightly higher than that, but not about to complain.

3 year in-home warranty - no part of the quote mentions anything about that. If commitment by AV to do this exists in writing, I suggest hanging onto a copy of it.

Sarah Sholvink, our point-person with AV - please don't give the poor girl a hard time. She's only with them on a temp basis, and shouldn't be a focal point for any frustration and/or anger.

I called Nissan and was transferred to AV and I explained how silly their quote was and asked if I could order just the EVSE and arrange the install myself. They said they had "recently" changed their policy ( after my CBS 5 news story was run) and would put me on their "waiting list". They said it was too new and I couldn't get terms but they did mention a waiver of unknown content. I said that was fine and just let me know when you know the terms and waiver and they took my info and that was it.

Has anyone else heard the same and learned anything about the price ( my assessment quote was around $780, I believe plus tax and shipping) and the waiver and time frame?

thanks

$3504.01. It looks like I try Level 1 only for awhile and then if I need Level 2, I'll see what folks in the area are doing. This quote requires 100' of wire from my panel to my garage. That may be in part because the EVSE is best placed on the north wall near the front of the garage so I can use it in the driveway, too. However, there is an unused 220V dryer outlet on the south wall away from the front of the garage. If that can be used, then the wire run can be avoided.

AVquote.JPG

I'm sure by now, AV has figured out that the "EVSE Money Grab" is not working as they expect. They must be very very confused, to say the least.

They are not well suited to work outside of government contracts, and this will be painfully clear to them, upon further analysis.

We can expect that Leviton will be selling a very large number of their plug in EVSE's, and if they are reading this thread, don't doddle boys, get them UL listed pronto, you are going to be very busy!

Has anyone seen any pricing and availability from Leviton? They have far more experience at this sort of thing and will probably get it into Home Depot or Lowes eventually while AV doesn't seem to have much consumer business or save.

mitch672 said:
I'm sure by now, AV has figured out that the "EVSE Money Grab" is not working as they expect. They must be very very confused, to say the least.

Who knows ? Out of some 18,000 reservation holders we have 600 people here. What about the rest ?

evnow said:
mitch672 said:

Who knows ? Out of some 18,000 reservation holders we have 600 people here. What about the rest ?

Oh I'm sure we are not the only ones who think $2200 is unreasonable for a glorified AC outlet.

mitch672 said:
Oh I'm sure we are not the only ones who think $2200 is unreasonable for a glorified AC outlet.

My guess is a sizeable number will just pay their estimates and get AV, if it is close to 2,200 as Nissan originally said.

pgrovetom said:
Has anyone seen any pricing and availability from Leviton? They have far more experience at this sort of thing and will probably get it into Home Depot or Lowes eventually while AV doesn't seem to have much consumer business or save.

Leviton said at the 2010 Plug-in EV Show in San Jose that they will beat the price of the AV charger. They didn't have an exact price yet. Also Schneider said their charger will cost less than the AV charger.

gasmiser1 said:
pgrovetom said:

Leviton said at the 2010 Plug-in EV Show in San Jose that they will beat the price of the AV charger. They didn't have an exact price yet. Also Schneider said their charger will cost less than the AV charger.

Great, my friend works for Schneider so I will have him keep and eye out.

I have a brand new home with an attached garage. The main junction box is right on the outer wall of the garage. The conduit needed for the charging dock would be no more than 6 feet. The guy that came out to do the assessment even said so. Additionally, there is no other wiring or "modifications" that would be necessary. Even with this information, my quote came to be $2300...$700 for the dock, $250 for the permit and the rest "labor". It is the labor part I am seriously questioning.

Also, I thought I read somewhere that the $100 for the assessment is applicable toward the assessment. The phone rep also told me that but wanted to hear from others...

Back