EVSE - credit ... seems to be more complex than simply AMT

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When we did our taxes this year, we got the vehicle credit no problem, and a credit for our solar panel installation, but even though we filled out the form for the EVSE (TurboTax), it kept calculating our credit as zero. Since we only spent about $900 for the unit and bits to install (did it ourselves), we didn't worry too much about it. With the size of the refund, the extra $300 didn't seem like a big deal to worry about, but we couldn't ever figure out why it wasn't giving us the credit...

PatricioEV,
I think that the EVSE credit is somehow tied not only to AMT but also to BUSINESS use of the charger. That's what my accountant said anyway. :?
Heaven forbid the IRS should make something understandable :evil:

Unfortunately, my Leaf finally arrived the middle of January, so I couldn't claim the $7500 credit this year. But with TurboTax, I was able to claim the EVSE credit which in my case worked out to around $900 (complicated installation). So TurboTax will claim the credit in some circumstance, but obviously not others.

PatricioEV said:
When we did our taxes this year, we got the vehicle credit no problem, and a credit for our solar panel installation, but even though we filled out the form for the EVSE (TurboTax), it kept calculating our credit as zero. Since we only spent about $900 for the unit and bits to install (did it ourselves), we didn't worry too much about it. With the size of the refund, the extra $300 didn't seem like a big deal to worry about, but we couldn't ever figure out why it wasn't giving us the credit...

tjz said:
Unfortunately, my Leaf finally arrived the middle of January, so I couldn't claim the $7500 credit this year. But with TurboTax, I was able to claim the EVSE credit which in my case worked out to around $900 (complicated installation). So TurboTax will claim the credit in some circumstance, but obviously not others.

So 2011 TurboTax is now allowing you to claim the EVSE Credit form 8911?? Wow! Man, I complained until I was blue in the face about getting them to include the Alternate Fuel Refueling Tax Credit in their 2010 Turbo Tax Small Business edition. I'd love to declare the $2000 or so I spent in 2011 to install the second meter for the Schedule EV TOU rates but if I don't get it since I declared the EVSE credit in 2010 it doesn't probably matter because I'm declaring the Factory Electric Vehicle credit this year and as such since my AMT margins aren't all that wide I'm sure the Vehicle will eat any other credit. Fortunately I did Insulation in 2010 so I did get my EVSE and Insulation credit both that year. Between the Virginia rebates, the Federal Credit and the Gas Company rebate the insulation was practically free!!

tjz said:
Correction. Fortunately your LEAF didn't arrive until 2012. I think the IRS rules are bonkers, but the unfortunate fact is that they are written so that it is virtually impossible to claim both the EV credit and the EVSE credit in the same year. You would have to have something really wild so that (before credits) your Alternate Minimum Tax calculates as nearly $8,000 less than your regular tax!

Ray

tjz said:
I had a similar issue only between 2010 and 2011. If memory serves me, you can only claim the credit when the EVSE is "placed in service". Since placed in service means first used, technically you probably need the car in order for the EVSE to be placed in service, which would mean you'd claim the credit in 2012 not 2011. Unfortunately the credit isn't available in 2012. No idea if anyone would check but you might want to keep this in mind.

SanDust said:
If memory serves me, you can only claim the credit when the EVSE is "placed in service". Since placed in service means first used, technically you probably need the car in order for the EVSE to be placed in service
We went through this a year ago. Yes, it has to be "in service", but the consensus was that if it is installed, has been checked out, and any necessary inspections have been signed off, then it is legally in service even if it hasn't actually been used yet.

Ray

planet4ever said:
We went through this a year ago. Yes, it has to be "in service", but the consensus was that if it is installed, has been checked out, and any necessary inspections have been signed off, then it is legally in service even if it hasn't actually been used yet.
I'm glad you reached a conclusion! ;) That doesn't mean the IRS could reach a different one. Usually "placed in service" means that something is ready, not that it is necessarily producing revenue. However, it's also true that a component which only has value when used in conjunction with another component is ready when they can be used together.

Since the charger has no purpose without a car, the stronger argument would seem to be that it would be placed in service when you got the car. YMMV. He's already filed so there isn't much to be done. He just needs to be aware of the issue and have a reasonable answer if asked. My guess is it will never come up.

I put it on plug share. It was in service and ready for anyone to use. That's my response.

PatricioEV said:

If you care to see why, go to turbo tax, and look at the forms view. bring up form 8911. double click on the value in line 17 and that will bring up the form 6251. Walk through the math they did on 6251 and 8911 and you'll see what happened.

I suspect you had the same issue I had. I put solar hot water in during 2011. as such I took the 30% credit for that - a nice chuck of change, thanks everybody!. However, the EVSE credit can't make your tax bill drop below the TMT (tentative minimum tax, I believe). so, as the energy credit (or the EV credit, if you had a 2011 purchase) will typically drop you below the line. So, only way to get the EVSE credit is not have any other major credit that year....

essaunders said:
PatricioEV said:

If you care to see why, go to turbo tax, and look at the forms view. bring up form 8911. double click on the value in line 17 and that will bring up the form 6251. Walk through the math they did on 6251 and 8911 and you'll see what happened.

I suspect you had the same issue I had. I put solar hot water in during 2011. as such I took the 30% credit for that - a nice chuck of change, thanks everybody!. However, the EVSE credit can't make your tax bill drop below the TMT (tentative minimum tax, I believe). so, as the energy credit (or the EV credit, if you had a 2011 purchase) will typically drop you below the line. So, only way to get the EVSE credit is not have any other major credit that year....

I think I already stated that I got the EVSE (full $2000) and Green credit (Insulation) in the same tax year (2010) since I had a few thousand margin between real and AMT. But certainly not $7500 which is what I'd have needed if I'd taken the EV and EVSE credit in the same year.

Just got finished with our tax guy.

The bad news.

No credit for the EVSE installation, since we are into the world of AMT.

The good news

The dollar amount we actually paid for the EVSE was $640 for the unit and $400 for the installation, which was done as part of our prep work for our new solar system.

Once more, the PV/EV project paid off.

Back